1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firewall Usage

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by ASHBURRN, 2002/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/09
    ASHBURRN

ASHBURRN Inactive Thread Starter

ZoneAlarm Usage

Hiya

I'm using Windows XP Pro and have been looking for a decent firewall program. My computer is the server to my home network. When I was using Windows 2000 Pro, I used BlackICE Defender but it caused me so many problems -- my housemates couldn't get online, couldn't receive files through ICQ, etc. etc.

So I'm willing to listen to recommendations.

... and please don't ask me to use Microsoft's firewall. It's not because it's not good -- I think it does the job -- the thing is my clients on the network can't use file transfers with people outside the network .. and the MS firewall is hardly configurable.

The firewall has to:

- protect me and my clients
    - enable ICQ and MSN file transfers
    - easy configurable
    - cheap?

Thank you for your input.

P.S. Hiya Mr Doom! :D

Last edited: 2002/01/09
  2. 2002/01/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/09
    purplemtn

purplemtn Inactive

Page Flashing

I just went to the "Tiny Personal Firewall" { Arie's post} and all it would do is Flash on/off . Showthe screen/go black [BG Color .. Could not get any links on that page to work either.

Can go to other Virus protection pages as well as any othe site with no problem..

Ran my virus protection (updated yesterday]and a Trogen checker(updated today) both found nothing..

Any one else having this problem??

purplemtn

5. 2002/01/09
    danparkcityut

danparkcityut Inactive

Hi purplemtn,

Glad to see you back.

Just tried the link and all appeared well (didn't try to D/L though).

Just another $.02

6. 2002/01/09
    purplemtn

purplemtn Inactive

danparkcityut

Thanks for checking it out...

Just tried the link again = Still Flashing for me..

Tried going to thier home page [by editing the link] it also flashes..{ maybe smae page..

Later I'll close some programs and see if 1 of them is interfering..

ASHBURRN
    You still going to school ?

7. 2002/01/09
    ASHBURRN

:D That's such a patronising question purplmtn :cool:

I'm studying the final year of my degree now .. haven't visitted some BBSes for a while.

Getting the hang of it again.

8. 2002/01/09
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

ASHBURRN--Your thread is named Zone Alarm Usage, but then you seem to not be using it at the same time you are looking for something other than Black Ice. SO??
    P.S. I have used Zone Alarm (free version) for over a year. Works like a charm for me.
    P.P.S. I guess you know you can download ZA from
    www.zonealarm.com

9. 2002/01/09
    ASHBURRN

My apologies .. I originally wanted to write about my experiences with ZoneAlarm, but then decided to write about BID instead because I used it more. Forgot to change the subject.

When I use ZA, it kept on telling me that MSN and ICQ were being accessed, and my housemates couldn't log on to their respective IM programs.

10. 2002/01/11
    DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Inactive

The thread title has been edited to a generic "Firewall Usage ". Hi yerself, Ashburnn!

11. 2002/01/12
    Joe_F

Joe_F Inactive

ASHBURRN FYI I use ZA on a stand alone system with a cable modem. I use several IM programs, and have no problem accessing them or using the features, voice, video or file transfer. Is it possible that you need to setup or configure ZA differently to work with your network ? Or adjust the network setup ? I'd be interested in finding out how you deal with this, I am contemplating setting up a home network of my own.

12. 2002/01/12
    ASHBURRN

I've tried setting it up for the network ... but with not much success. Anyone willing to help?

I'm moving towards Tiny.

13. 2002/01/12
    ASHBURRN

I have installed Tiny .. is this programm Free?

Anyways, I ran a Shields UP! test on my ports, and got:

• RPC OPEN: (Remote Procedure Call) This impossible-to-close port appears in most Windows systems. Since many insecure Microsoft services use this port, it should never be left "open" to the outside world. Since it is impossible to close, you will need a personal firewall to block it from external access. Do it soon!

I thought Tiny was a personal firewall?

14. 2002/01/12
    Harold7

Harold7 Inactive

You might try out the OutPost firewall here: http://www.agnitum.com/ there's a free version that works pretty well, just make sure you disable the XP firewall or any other firewall you have running.

I've been using the Pro version for about a month and it is very stable, with a fairly small system resource load.:)

15. 2002/01/12
    nowhit10

nowhit10 Inactive

Do I need a Firewall?

Ok I am not very experianced. I have windows XP and I need to know about firewalls and what all this means. Do I need one and how does it work and so on.
    I just have 1 home pc. I have a dial up connection. Any info appreciated. Also do I run this with my antivirus software? I have AVG Antivirus. What is the difference between the two? :rolleyes:

Last edited: 2002/01/12
  16. 2002/01/12
    ASHBURRN

Firewalls protect you from people with malicious intent from gaining access to your PC from a remote location. Generally, I would use a firewall.

Check this website out and test your system.

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

17. 2002/01/12
    nowhit10

nowhit10 Inactive

Thanks

I went to the site you suggested and it showed I was already behind a very secure firewall. Must have come with my operating system? :D

18. 2002/01/12
    ASHBURRN

Would that be Windows XP?

19. 2002/01/12
    Joe_F

Joe_F Inactive

nowhit10; Firewalls are basically programs that prevent some one from gaining access to your computer with out your knowledge. They are used more for broadband connections than dial-up connections simply because, broadband connections usually dsl or cable are always connected to the internet, and the IP address stays the same. With dial-up access your IP address changes every time you go offline, and get back on.

Firewalls are extra security, and if they do not cause a problem with your system, it's a good idea to run one, just to be on the safe side. Their is also the added benefit of having the firewall alert you every time a program tries to access the internet. It gives you more control over what goes out of and into your computer.

20. 2002/01/13
    moghrabi

moghrabi Inactive

Firewalls are intended mainly for the high-speed internet user who are online 24x7, and basically have a static IP assigned to them. The intruder then have a chance to hack into your system since you are online all the time with the same IP.

You mentioned that you have dial-up connection, then I wouldn't bother to install a firewall. If you have Win XP, just enable that for extra security, but you don't need to.

Best regards

21. 2002/01/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.