1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox is not displaying full website colors...

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by 14U2DAY, 2008/11/18.

1. 2008/11/18
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I think that this is an easy question for some of you Guru's. I’m building a website and when I view it from my local PC with Firefox, all of the colors and backgrounds are correct. When I Publish the files to the server, Firefox seems to not handle the colors and background as IE7 does... and I prefer to use Firefox as my default browser... but something is happening here that I don’t know what to do.
    I've looked here in the forum, to see if I could find something close to my problem with no luck. I'm still working on the website but here's the demo: www.rioministry.net/LIVE/. If you view this site with Firefox and then with IE7 you will see what I'm dealing with... you can see the background with IE7, and total different coloration's with Firefox. (Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4)

Please advise. :confused:
    14U2DAY

2. 2008/11/18
    The Old Chief Lifetime Subscription

The Old Chief Inactive

14U2DAY

I'm not sure I can help because a review of your source code reflects the page is using script and flash files and I only know simple HTML coding which I do with a simple text editor.

Also not sure exactly what you mean by "Publishing the page to the Web Site ".

I only know how to build the page on my own computer and then use the Winsock FTP program to upload the page to the web site.

However, with that said, I have reviewed the source code and I see that the backqround is retrieving a 100K 1024 X 768 background JPG image that is mostly solid black.

A copy of your source code which sets the back ground color is shown here:.................

<BODY bgColor=#ffffff background=RioMinistry_files/3Crossesblue.jpg>

The bgColor=#ffffff has a couple of problems:......

1st, The correct coding would be bgcolor= "#ffffff" - NOTE the missing " " -- 2nd The ffffff is the codes for white background color and actually should not even be there because the background=JPG image coding is over riding the bgcolor coding.

Frankly, in your situation and after looking at your web page, I recommend you try deleting the "background=RioMinistry_files/3crossesblue.jpg" code and use just the following:....

<body bgcolor= "#000000 "> --- the 6 zeros is the color code for black.

As too what is happening when you publish the page I don't have a clue why IE reads it correctly and Firefox does not.

However, based on some experience with Netscape and Seamonkey's Composer program I am suspicious that the JPG image named 3crossesblue is not being published or installed in the proper location.

For it to be retrieved it should be installed on the web site in a sub-folder named RioMinistry_files and my suspicious is that it is not.

My suggestion for changing the coding to bgcolor= "#000000" is based on what I see when viewing your web site from my own computer as shown below:.....

IE 7.0 gives me this view:.. http:// www.raysmyth.net/rio-1.jpg

Firefox 1.5 gives me this view:.. http:// www.raysmyth.net/rio-2.jpg

Seamonkey 1.1.12 gives me this view:.. http:// www.raysmyth.net/rio-2.jpg

You didn't specify exactly what it is in the colors that are different So, if it is not the background color then be a little more specifically about the difference and explain how you are publishing the page to the web site.

AND please let us know the out come.

Cheers, Ray

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/18

Thank you so much The Old Chief,

You have given me a couple of areas to take another look at however, I'm turned around with the different "rio-x.jpg" files but IE is showing the right background. If you look at the color in FF and SM, they have the same look... and when I preview on my PC it looks like the IE version.
    When I mentioned published to the server... I'm using Cute Ftp to send them to the server.

I will look at what you have mentioned and see if I can see something changing before I publish them to the server.

Again thank you sir!

14U2DAY

Last edited: 2008/11/18
  5. 2008/11/18

Is there a way of clearing the cache files in FF? it seems like it's not updating with the changes that I've made... after I publish/FTP them to the server. The server has the correct files, I see nothing pointing to the www.raysmyth.net/rio-1.jpg, www.raysmyth.net/rio-2.jpg from my setup from the PC... not sure where this is coming from.

Please advise,

14U2DAY

6. 2008/11/19
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

14U2DAY ...

Using FF 3.0.4 and IE 7, the colors look exactly the same. The only differences I can see are that most text appears smaller using IE (possibly because I'm using a minimum font size of 14 with FF), and that the image under "Welcome to the Frontpage" appears only when using IE (see screenshots).

EDIT: The reason the image doesn't appear with FF (for me) is because I have the Adblock Plus extension installed. After disabling it, the image appears properly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 2008/11/19
  7. 2008/11/19

JSS3rd Geek Member

Sure. Open the Privacy tab in Tools > Options and click on the "Settings" button in the Private Data section. There you can select what you want to have cleared, including the cache, when FF closes. You can clear those same selections at any time by clicking on the "Clear Now" button. HTH.

8. 2008/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I see a striking difference in the Home page. Kind of washed out light purple on purple, very hard to read, in Firefox, and much brighter color, especially with the font. I think that it is a poor choice of color, even for IE. It is painful to read for my old eyes.
    The rest is straight forward.

9. 2008/11/19

Westside,

That's the problem I speak of... on my PC they both look the same, when I view the website, this is where I'm confused... something is going on with FF that I can't figure out.

I will change the colors to see if it will make a difference. The way I have it setup is that the home page solid color (purple) opacity is about 28% allowing the 3crossesblue.jpg to be seen in the background. I don't think FF is handling the opacity properly... that could be the washed out look that you see.

Any thoughts on this? Please advise.

14U2DAY

10. 2008/11/19

Thanks Jim!!!

11. 2008/11/19

JSS3rd Geek Member

14U2DAY ...

You're welcome.

Yesterday, when I clicked on your link, I got an online index page. Moving up to the parent directory took me to the Joomla! page seen in the screenshots attached to my first post, which is why my reply must have seemed confusing.

Today the link takes me (as it should) to your RioMinistry site, and now I see what you're talking about ... it just doesn't look right in FF. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a few comments:
    1. I don't mean this as a criticism, though it may seem so. I found that the audio became really annoying after spending just a few minutes on the site ... the percussion is too percussive ... it's up front and "in your face ". I had to turn my speakers off, as your little headphone icon didn't always seem to do the trick.

2. All three images under the "Minister" menu are stretched horizontally, whether the site is viewed with FF or IE. I'm sure it was unintentional, but it detracts from the overall effect. None of the other images on the site seem to be similarly affected.

You mentioned earlier that you were using CuteFTP, which leads me to believe that you might also be using CuteSITE Builder (which, unfortunately, made few improvements over TrellixWeb, the original incarnation of the program.) If so, it's possible that the program caused the image distortion.

3. I was amused to see that you have a link to show gas prices on the MSN Autos site. I have that site bookmarked in my FF to open using my zip code, which is exactly what opened when I clicked on your link. Was that a fluke?
    You've done a nice job with your site, so good luck figuring out your problems.

12. 2008/11/19

This is great information... and I have a few questions:
    What size monitor are you using?
    Did the music continue to play when you clicked on the headphones?
    The gas prices link: I have no idea how that happen... maybe that's has something to do with FF and holding cache files.
    On three different systems that I have IE7 has no error in matching the original website setup, only FF is having an issue. Do you think that FF can't handle opacity images?

Thank you for your comments! I have an open mind and welcome ideas to make a better website!

14U2DAY

13. 2008/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

The color is perfect, now, in the Home page. The drop down is too dark in the links (ok on mouseover), in IE, as well. And, the music stop...stomping on the headphones!
    Did you make some changes?

14. 2008/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Message had not shown up, at first, so I resent it, and now I have two. This is the second one. If anyone knows out to remove it, fine!

15. 2008/11/19

I changed the fonts to white and removed the black background, kept the .jpg file... I will lower the volume for the audio file.

Which browser did you use to view the changes?

Thank you so much Westside! I really respect your input even though I can't find out what's going on with FF.

14U2DAY

16. 2008/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Firefox3.0.4 and IE7. Firefox looks fine, now.

17. 2008/11/19
    The Old Chief Lifetime Subscription

The Old Chief Inactive

14U2DAY

I have continued to monitor what is going on with your web page and the feed back from others to learn about things myself.

I have noted that you changed the background codes from ffffff to 808080 which is a gray color. Also the sub-folder for the 3crossessblue.jpg background image file was changed.

You had in another message the following:........

This opacity thing is all new to me but, I think what your saying is that a purple color is being thinned out to allow the 3crossesblue background image to show through.

If that is the case, it appears to me that the 3crossesblue image is simply not there. i.e. being retrieved as was my original thinking.

For what it's worth I have new print screen images of my IE and FF and they are at the following links:........ Note:.. I waited until the search light glare showed on both.

IE 7.0 now gives me this view:.. http:// www.raysmyth.net/rio-4.jpg

Firefox 1.5 now gives me this view:.. http:// www.raysmyth.net/rio-5.jpg

And for what it's worth, Seamonkey shows the same as does FF

AND the music sounds great and the headphones work as they should in all 3 browsers.

Good Luck and I will be watching, Ray

18. 2008/11/19

JSS3rd Geek Member

14U2DAY ...

Unfortunately, my desktop computer is out of service at the moment, so I'm viewing your site on my laptop's 14" screen (1024x768).

It did, but I had your site open on two tabs ... one viewing it with FF, the other in IE using FF's IETab extension. I had stopped the audio on one tab using the headphone icon, but had failed to stop it on the other. When I clicked the second headphone icon the audio stopped completely.

I don't think so, as my cache is cleared each time I shutdown FF. It's more likely that it's because of a saved cookie, and I don't clear them at shutdown.

This is something I have no experience with. I can only tell you that FF adheres to W3C standards, while IE reportedly does not.

I think what Westside is referring to is that when a dropdown menu opens the blue text against the dark purple background is very hard to read. Mousing over it changes the text to white and the dark purple background to a lighter purple. I'd suggest using a light blue, rather than the dark blue, for the initial text

The sound level would be OK if you could find a way to dampen the percussion. I'd suggest running your audio file through an editor and lowering the treble level. As it is, it seems too "bright ".

19. 2008/11/19

JSS3rd Geek Member

I don't know what Westside is seeing, but I'm seeing exactly what Ray is, except that I'm using FF 3.0.4 instead of 1.5.

20. 2008/11/19

I agree Jim, no matter what I do... FF is giving me problems from the server side... FF it looks just as IE7 does from my local PC...

I will make some changes that was suggested and see how that looks. Do you think this version of FF (3.0.4) has anything to do with this issue?

...again thank you Jim, Ray, Westside...

14U2DAY

21. 2008/11/19

JSS3rd Geek Member

No. Ray is using FF 1.5, and I'm using 3.0.4. I'm seeing the same thing he is.