1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Finding Files

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hollinm, 2004/03/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/03/14
    hollinm

hollinm Inactive Thread Starter

Using Win98SE

Going from start menu to find files. Dialog box comes up type a,b as files I want to look at. They are downloaded. I usually go thru list and see temporary internet files and delete them. I have been doing so for some time.
    Yesterday I experienced situations as follows:
    -using far right hand to bring the files down more quickly it freezes.
    -If it does not freeze, it freezes while I am highlighting files to be deleted.
    -using right hand to bring files down the whole window disappears.
    In each of the above situations the computer freezes and needs to be rebooted.
    When I reboot the computer everything appears normal. However, when I try to repeat process same thing happens again. Does any one know the reason?
    By the way, I do the same to eliminate temporary files in the gif, j script and it works fine.
    I have virus scanned, spybot, adaware, scan disk and defragmented to see if it resolves the problem. Still the same issue.

2. 2004/03/14
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Try this.
    Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties. Then click on the 'Start Menu Programs' tab, where it says Documents Menu click on the Clear button.
    Restart in Dos Mode, and do these commands, pressing Enter at the end of each line. The first command may appear to do nothing. Type a Y that you want to delete when prompted, check the spelling at this time.
    smartdrv
    deltree c:\windows\cookies
    deltree c:\windows\history
    deltree c:\windows\temp
    deltree c:\windows\tempor~1
    scanreg /opt
    scanreg /fix

When you get the message 'windows has repaired your registry', press Enter and then Reboot.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/17
    hollinm

Att: Markp62

Sorry it took so long to respond. For some reason I did not get a message on my email that there was a response.
    I note your instructions. Can you tell me what I am doing when carrying out these steps. I like to understand what I am trying to accomplish b4 doing it blindly.
    I did go onto MS DOS this morning and was surprised to see the following items:
    -following file is missing or corrupted: C:\DCROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
    -there is an error in your config. sys on line 15
    -Device Driver not found:IDECD000
    -No valid CD ROM device Drivers selected
    What does all of the above mean and how do I fix it?

5. 2004/03/17
    hollinm

Followed your instructions in your thread.
    Everything went well until the system was repairing registry. Got 78% complete when the following message came up:

-Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your Windows drive.
    If that doesn't work then you will need to install Windows to a new directory.

How do I know what the error is? What do I do now?:confused:

6. 2004/03/18
    markp62

The deltree command deletes just those folders, when windows restarts they are recreated automatically. It is a for sure way to delete temp files, and rebuild the index.dat and desktop.ini (hidden) files that exists in those folder.
    The error messages are the result of dos drivers loading in your Config.Dos and Autoexec.Dos files, and the C:\DCROM\OAKCDROM.SYS is not found to be loaded. It is a CD driver for dos. Rename Config.Dos to Config.Bak, and Autoexec.Dos to Autoexec.Bak.
    Look in your windows folder, and find the file System.Dat and post back it's size. It is a hidden file, so you'll need to have Windows Explorer show all files.
    Another thing to try, go get SpyBot Search & Destroy, install then update it, and then Scan for problems, this will eliminate ad/spyware as a problem, stuff like programs keeping tabs on what you do while surfing on the net.

7. 2004/03/18
    hollinm

Att: markp62
    Thank you very much for helping me get through this. It is much appreciated.
    As well the instruction to deltree is a quicker way of getting rid of the temporary files. It worked great and that is how I will eliminate temporary files from now on when I have a number of them. Good advice.
    -As indicated in my original thread I used adaware and spyboot as well as McAfee Virus Scan to see if I had any trouble there. There was none identified.
    -I need some help with your last set of instructions.
    -Tell me where I find the Config.Dos and Autoexec.Dos and how I go about changing the names to the Bak extension.
    -You said to look into my windows folder. I did by clicking on the start button and opening explorer and did not find the file System.Dat. How do I find this file?
    -You said post back its size. Its a hidden file so I would need to have Explorer show all files. How do I do that?

As you can see I need some help in getting around the system and your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    :D

8. 2004/03/18
    markp62

Config.Dos and Autoexec.Dos are at C:\ , the root folder of the drive. Just click on where you see [C:] on the left in Windows Explorer, and you will be where they are at.
    In Windows Explorer, go to the toolbar at View, select Folder Options. Click on the View tab in the new window, then click on Show All Files, then Apply then OK.

9. 2004/03/19
    hollinm

To find the Config.Dos and Autoexec.Dos files do I click on start and then explorer. If so I have done that and I don't see them and don't know where to go from there. Do I need to go into MS DOS again?
    I understand how to find hidden files but still don't know what to do from there.
    Can you answer the specific questions I asked in my previous thread so I can carry out your recommendations?

10. 2004/03/19
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

I'll butt in here...since I'm here. ;)

Just open My Computer, then open the C drive and both of the files you're looking for should be there. They are on my Win98SE system, anyway.

If you prefer to use Windows Explorer, right click on My Computer, click on Explore. Then click on the C drive and the files will be listed in the right-hand pane.

Miz,
  11. 2004/03/19
    markp62

Go to Start\Run, type in command.com and press Enter.
    You will have a dos window open. You will see this, C:\Windows> or it may have C:\Windows\Desktop> with a blinking line at the end. It does not matter what it says before the blinking line.
    Type in these commands, pressing Enter at the end of each line.
    ren c:\autoexec.dos autoexec.bak
    ren c:\config.dos config.bak

Make sure you use \ and not /. If the C:\Windows> just appears after doing the command, the renaming was successful. Try Restarting in Dos Mode, if the errors persist, do the NEXT STEP.
    If you get an error that either file is not found, then they are not there, and continue on to the Next Step. Close the dos window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner. Then do the NEXT STEP.

NEXT STEP
    Open Windows Explorer, look in the Windows folder. There is a file in it called "Exit to Dos ".
    Right click on the file "Exit to Dos" and select Properties, do not select Open or you will be out of windows in less than 1 second.
    You'll have a little window open, in that window there will be a series of tabs, General Program Font Screen Misc. Click on the Program tab. Look down and you will see two buttons, Advanced Change Icon. Click on Advanced. Another window will open. Click on "Use current MS-DOS configuration ".
    Click on OK, that window closes, then click OK to close the first window.
    If "Use current MS-DOS configuration" is already selected, get out of that window by selecting Cancel and continue on.
    Go to Start\Run, type in command.com and press Enter. Use these commands.
    copy c:\config.sys config.old
    copy c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
    Make sure you use \ and not /. When the command is successful, you will see 1 file(s) copied appear. If you get an error that the file is not found on the C:\Autoexec.Bat, do not worry. Close the dos window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.
    Open Notepad. Go to File in the Notepad toolbar and select Open. A File Open window opens. In the white box for File Name type in c:\config.sys and press Enter. After it opens, delete everything in it. Now save it.
    Use Notepad and open c:\autoexec.bat and do the same for it. If it was not found in the Start\Run command for it, skip this step.
    Windows 98 will work fine with these two files blank. Win98 doesn't really need them at all. In any case, if you followed these instructions to the letter, those two files are backed up.
    Try Restarting in Dos Mode.

12. 2004/03/20
    hollinm

Did your first set of instructions and the files were not found.
    Went to next step:
    Opened Windows Explorer, looked in the windows folder and did not see a file called Exit to Dos.
    Saw a file called dosboot.
    Opened it and found an autoexec.bat file there. Clicked properties and opened the program tab. Clicked advanced tab and the box "Suggest MS Dos mode as necessary" was checked.
    Looked further down and the wording you suggested i.e. Use MS Dos configuration has a dot in it but it is very light. Should I click the one you suggested?
    Have not seen anything to do with the config file. Depending on your instructions above should I still do the copy instructions and the rest of the instructions you gave from then on.

13. 2004/03/20
    markp62

Yes, especially the parts about editing the Config.Sys and Autoexec.bat files

14. 2004/03/20
    scotrw

scotrw Inactive

My maintenance routine is 1 per week I boot into Dos, then run "Fred Langa's"
    CLEAN.BAT which cleans all temp files on my machine, I have added "DELTARHO'S"
    REGFXOPT registry tune-up to the bat file (Don't know if this program is still available free) he said he was going to start charging for it, with this routine I don't have to go thru the typing of all those commands & the (spell checking), it cleans temp, tif's & cookies & checks my registry at the same time,
    Bob

15. 2004/03/20
    hollinm

The dosboot folder was not in windows folder but in the C: drive
    I tried to click Use MS DOS configuration as you suggested and it would not change from the one ticked of Suggest MS DOS mode as necessary. So I have not followed thru on the rest of your instructions. Any suggestions?

16. 2004/03/20
    hollinm

Att: scotrw
    Noted your thread. Looked up Fred Langa's and found a free download for Cleanup.Bat. Is this the one you are referring to and is it ok on Windows 98 SE.
    Could you explain how I get to it and use once it is downloaded.
    Could not find anything in the name of Deltarho's. Any suggestion of how I could get access to this one?

17. 2004/03/21
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Perhaps a little review on what your dosboot folder is as well as using sysedit:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27100

Your getting the error because....
    Your 15th line in config.sys is telling win98 that oakcdrom.sys is in c:\dcrom folder. Either the driver_oakcdrom.sys or folder does not exist or the syntax(wording) for this command line is wrong. In addition 15 or more lines in config.sys is a lot compared to what you had. What's up with that?

Using sysedit
    You need to edit config.sys to rem out the line
    or correct it (syntax)
    or copy oakcdrom.sys file where it is expected to be.

In order for the realmode cdrom driver driver to load you need the companion file mscdex.exe loaded in either autoexec.bat or dosstart.bat.

Your autoexec.bat will need correct path and syntax for loading mscdex.exe. Usually this is remmed out and only edited when you need cdrom support while at the dos realmode c:\prompt. Or left out all together and opt to use a bootdisk unstead.

A customized "exit to dos" pif or shortcut or the dosstart.bat is where the mscdex.exe command/load line is moved to when you need cdrom support from a "restart in dosmode ". Since your win98 most likely is an upgrade your dosexit shortcuts may differ in name but the "MSDos icon" will still be used. You will have at least two of these pif/shortcuts in the c:\windows folder. It is the one that is used to "restart in dosmode" that needs the advanced button configuration check or tweak. Easy enough to check on, just double click on it.

=========
    Ordinarily I would agree with the editing of config.sys and autoexec.bat to remove all entries as instructed by markp62. It was explained that Win98 does not need these but other devices may. Your scanner is an example of why you may need yours. Some older soundboards, some older 16 bit programs, some virus scanners etc may also need these.

============
    What do you get when type sysedit on the taskbar_startbutton_runline?

Does config.sys show up?

Have you still retained the folder options which allow the showing of system and hidden folder and files. (info in your past post link)
    This is mandatory when doing a "File Find" for hidden system files.

Last edited: 2004/03/21
  18. 2004/03/21
    scotrw

scotrw Inactive

Yes it is Cleanup.bat from Fred Langa, I just tinkered with it a little bit to suit me, renamed it "Clean" to suit my 1 finger keyboard.
    I ran it first without /y on each command, so that I could watch what was happening, then when I had what I thought was right inserted the /y so that I didn't sit pushing (y) at each command, all I have to do is :-
    Hold ctrl key on boot up, select command prompt only (Mine is 5), at prompt type clean & enter, & they are gone..
    I run Win98se also.
    On the "Regfxopt" I got this from Deltarho persoally by email when he was constucting it, at the time he contributed to the "Virtual Dr." forum, I now believe he goes by the handle of "Gammespelin" on another forum, don't quote me on spelling of his handle.
    Her is my "Clean.bat" :-

smartdrv

@ECHO OFF
    deltree /y %winbootdir%\temp\

deltree /y c:\windows\applog\*.*

deltree /y c:\tmp\

deltree /y c:\temp\

deltree /y %temp%\

deltree /y %tmp%\

deltree /y c:\windows\pif\*.*

deltree /y %winbootdir%\ShellI~1

deltree /y c:\windows\cookies\*.*

deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1\*.*

regfxopt /t 5

goto end
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

19. 2004/03/21
    hollinm

Att: goddez1

I wish I understood a lot of the stuff said in your link.
    I have changed the system so all hidden files are shown.
    sysedit. Config.sys shows up and here what is included:

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

I checked the autoexec.bat file and here is what is included in it.

c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe c:\
    @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\Scanwiz;C:\WINDOWS\Twain\Scanwiz

You will note in autoexec.bat the reference to twain 32 is still there which is my scanner. I have deleted the scanner from my system but I still have the exact wording as shown in autoexec.bat on my system when it first loads.
    If you want me to make changes pls. provide specific steps.

20. 2004/03/21
    hollinm

Att: scotrw

In order to download the cleanup.bat as you outline do I simply go into MS-DOS and type smartdrv and then list each of the lines you mentioned in your link.
    Can you help me a little more on how to make the cleanup file work when trying to launch it.

21. 2004/03/22
    markp62

In your Config.Sys file edit this line,
    DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000
    so it is like this.
    REM DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000
    In your Autoexec.Bat file edit this line
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32Scanwiz;C:\WINDOWS\Twain\Scanwiz
    so it is like this
    REM SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32Scanwiz;C:\WINDOWS\Twain\Scanwiz

The only difference is the REM is added, this causes the line not to be executed, turns it into a REMark.
    I notice there is not 15 lines in your Config.Sys, there seems to be an invisible item in it. Put the cursor right after 'D:IDECD000 and press and hold the delete key for about 2 seconds. Then save the file.

To use that Clean.bat, simply put the file into your windows folder. Then Restart in Dos Mode, type in clean and press Enter. The file then does everything listed in it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.