1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved File system error due to wrong use of WinToUSB software

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Balanand, 2009/12/23.

1. 2009/12/23
    Balanand

Balanand Inactive Thread Starter

I use to do silly experiments with my computer and this time, it is the worst thing I ever did.

I wanted to install a fresh copy of windows vista on my desktop. Its DVD drive is not working properly and doesn't read DVDs, so I tried to install it from USB. I made the USB stick bootable with WinToUSB software successfully, but don't know why, the computer was not booting from USB (checked boot order in bios). I thought, if this software can make a USB bootable, it could also make a HDD partition bootable, and I gave it a try. I emptied a partitions and set it as target for WinToUSB, (the source was a virtual drive loaded with iso image of Vista installation DVD). Now, as soon as the program started copying installation files to the destination partition, the system restarted automatically with error "Operating System Not Found ".

The computer has two physical HDDs. One 80 GB (4 basic partitions) and other 500 GB (4 basic partitions). Current XP installation was on 80 GB disk on partition C and I was trying to install the Vista Setup on partition E on same disk.

I booted the system with ERD commander which also didn't detect any windows installation. Under explorer, I found that the whole 80 GB disk was detected as a single drive (C) which was reported to have unsupported or corrupt file system.

ChkDsk reported this drive to be RAW and didn't run.

Please tell me what I can do now.

Thanks.

2. 2009/12/23
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You will need to reinstall your OS.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/12/23
    Balanand

Thanks for your reply Arie.

I booted it from XP setup CD. It also detects the 80 GB disc as a single drive. Isn't there any way to recover its partitions? The setup says that it needs to format the disk in order to install the OS, which will lead me to loose all data on that disc.

5. 2009/12/23
    Arie

You could try to recreate the partition using a XP startup disk, you might be able to recover your information. You could also try booting in another OS and running recovery software, maybe you can get some info back.

And just maybe having a current backup in the future would be an idea?

Arie,
  6. 2009/12/24
    Balanand

Thanks for your suggestion Arie, I used Hiren's boot CD to boot the system and its recovery tools to recover the data. I was fortunate enough to get all my data back, nothing was lost.
    I'll remember in future to take a backup before performing such silly experiments.

By the way, if you not feel bothered, can you suggest me something about what actually could have happend in this case? It was very quick that everything got weired after running the application.

7. 2009/12/26
    Arie

I don't know what happened, it looks to have formatted your system drive.

You should have a backup before performing "silly experiments "... you never know when your hard drive might fail. And when it does, it will be too late & your files would be lost forever.

Arie,