1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved excel 2016 format cells missing parentheses

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by cspgsl, 2018/02/28.

1. 2018/02/28
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

I have a client who does not have the brackets as an option to the numbers format in Excel 2016. In her Win 10 machine, the brackets are not an option – they are available on my machine in Excel 2016, but not hers.
    You can see a screenshot of her format cells window where the bracket option doesn't exist.

We thought it might be the Language setting in Windows so we added English US and made it default, restarted the computer but it didn’t help.

We also changed the number format in Region > Number formats to include brackets but it didn’t make any difference.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks excel.jpg language.jpg

2. 2018/03/01
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Select the Custom format Category, in this list you should see:

#,##0;[Red]#,##0

Now click on this one and it should appear in the type box. You need to do the following changes to it:

#,##0;[Red](#,##0)

Or better yet: #,##0_);[Red](#,##0)

and then click OK

The added _) to the end of the first item makes the positive and negative numbers align properly underneath each other.

You will now be able to display a negative number in brackets.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/03/01
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

Thanks, I found these settings changed the options available in format > number 63EDEC2A.PNG