1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error window flashes too fast to read on shutdown/restart/logoff...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scout321x, 2005/10/30.

1. 2005/10/30
    scout321x Contributing Member

scout321x Inactive Thread Starter

I now have some kind of error at shutdown, restart, logoff that flashes by too fast for me to read. It starts with "The application failed to initialize ". There is also a "sound" when the window appears.

Is there some way to freeze the screen/window so I can read what the error is? The pause key seems to have no effect.

I have searched this site and the web with Google but no joy so far. If the answer is out there then I am not using the correct nomenclature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model VT82C692BX
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~933 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 2/8/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) "

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 729.65 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.65 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The shutdown/restart/logoff seems to work correctly in spite of this error and the system comes up seemingly without any problems.

I had another problem that I have seemingly "cured" by running sfc. Here is the link if the info helps: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49084

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Doug

Last edited: 2005/10/31
  2. 2005/10/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Look through your event logs (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc). Check if you see anything listed in the Application or System logs that is flagged.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/10/31
    DumbTerminal

DumbTerminal Inactive

I apparently don't have permission to see your link, but if SFC fixed a similar problem, why would you not run it again for this problem?

5. 2005/10/31

I have checked the event log but there are no messages indicating that anything is wrong. I do get the following warning in the Application llog but this has been going on forever:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 10/31/2005
    Time: 11:14:59 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: RETIRED-BD9507B
    Description:
    Windows saved user RETIRED-BD9507B\Doug registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been pondering about using uphclean to see if it will eliminate the above error but at this time that is a back burner item.

I just now finished running sfc again and the problem of the error window flashing by is still happening.

I am now thinking of trying to take a pic of the monitor to see if I can catch it.

6. 2005/10/31
    DumbTerminal

DumbTerminal Inactive

Try shutting down, and just concentrate on trying to see the application name that is giving the error

7. 2005/10/31

I had posted the edit link. Sorry about that. Here is the corrected link to my original problem: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49084

I have tried to see the application name but being as I am an old fogy programmer (too many years staring at CRT's) my eyes are not what they used to be. So far I have been unsuccessful.

8. 2005/10/31
    DumbTerminal

DumbTerminal Inactive

It sounds to me that it is more of an annoyance than it is actually causing a problem.
    Without more info, my guess would be that you may have removed some malware that may still have some registry entries present that are trying to call on this program, but the program no longer exists.
    Are there no 20 year olds around that can look for you? lol
    It may take several times to finally get a good look

9. 2005/10/31
    Lighthammer

Lighthammer Inactive

Right click on My Computer, click on Properties, click on Advanced, click on settings in the Startup and Recover section, and uncheck the automatically restart in the system failure area.

That way, when you get the error message, it will stay on the screen.

Was that what you were asking for?

10. 2005/10/31
    DumbTerminal

DumbTerminal Inactive

I thought of that at first, but that is for Blue Screen errors.
    This just seems to be an application error, and it happens on a manual restart

11. 2005/10/31

No, but thanks anyway for replying. I have automatic restart shut off.

The error window comes up shortly after I do a logoff or turnoff or restart. Since windows is shutting down the window only stays displayed for way less than a second and it makes an Windows XP Critical Stop.wav sound too. The length of time the window displays seems to be variable and I have been able to read some of it but the last few dozen times I have tried the flash is so fast I cannot read it. I tried taking pics of the monitor but my reaction time is too slow.

Admittedly this is more of an annoyance than a critical error at this time but I do want to fix what ever Lapp is causing it.

12. 2005/10/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Try fixing it by running User Profile Hive Cleanup Service