1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

error loading explorer.exe

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by sojisan, 2007/05/06.

1. 2007/05/06
    sojisan

sojisan Inactive Thread Starter

hi all,

i cannot access windowsme. after boot it goes to winme graphic, then the following error(s) show:

"error loading Explorer.exe You must install windows.

followed by:

"The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to missing export
    NTDLL.DLL:RtlGetNtVersionNumbers "

i do not have winme installation nor os disks. just a boot disk and winme startup cd. trying different forums i am usually told to extract msvcrt.dll from disk. i am assuming i will need winme os cd to (get) extract dll to import to c drive. if this doesn't work does anybody have any thoughts. i just want to get my data off this computer, so reinstall is not an option. incidentally, i cannot get in using safemode either. :(

i've seen repair software (e.g. for .dll errors etc.) like regcure. will any of these "type" softwares work?

thanx,

soj:cool:

2. 2007/05/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

sojisan - Welcome to the Board :)
    Hitch the drive up as slave in another computer and copy your data across and burn to CD/DVD.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/05/10
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

i am assuming i will need winme os cd to (get) extract dll to import to c drive.
    Look in these two folders, WinMe typically has the installation files in one of them.
    c:\windows\options\cabs
    c:\windows\options\install