1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error Event ID 7009 causing crash and reboot frequently

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by mrgregl, 2006/10/04.

1. 2006/10/04
    mrgregl Lifetime Subscription

mrgregl Inactive Thread Starter

A few days ago, unrelated to any program installations or other actions that I can find, my Win 2K-SP4 desktop computer has started to abruptly and completely shut down and then reboot. It is becoming more frequent and certainly more frustrating! When I boot my computer each morning (I shut it down at night) it will crash and reboot within 10 min. It will do this again 4 or 5 times over the next 45 min. to 1 hr., with an increasing time between crashes, until it stabilizes and remains running for up to three hours or so at a time - then crashes again and reboots again.

When reviewing the Event Log (System Log) the same sequence of events is ALWAYS recorded, in the following order from the most recent to the oldest:

Source: Service Control Manager
    Time: 11:10:02
    Category: None
    Type: Error
    Event ID: 7009
    User: N/A
    Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Netlogon service to connect.

Source: Event Log
    Time: 11:09:08
    Type: Information
    Event ID: 6005
    Description: The Event log service was started.

Source: Event Log
    Time: 11:09:08
    Type: Information
    Event ID: 6009
    Description: Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (R) 5.0 2195 Service Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free

Please note that the Error that causes the crash and reboot (as first listed above) always and repeatedly follows the preceding events by 54-55 sec.

I have already updated my network adapter driver, checked for viruses (I use AVG) and I have reloaded SP4.

Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated!

2. 2006/10/04
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/05

user.dmp

Hello Arie,

Thank you for your reply. It wasn't enough info yet to solve the problem but your rapid reply was enough for me to get a lifetime subscription!

I am having some difficulty finding the right dump for you but I think I have it now. Please see the attachments. One other problem was that when I tried to configure the log using the Administator Tool >Computer Management I get the error that the log can not be generated because the "Alerte" is not running. I have tried to start the Alerter but keeping the error in the attached. (I also can not start Netlogon).

Thank you again for your help.

Last edited: 2006/10/05
  5. 2006/10/05
    Arie

You said you attached some info, but there's no attachments with the post...

:confused: You have to configure the creation of debugging logs from Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System. Select the Advanced tab & click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. The options are under System failure.

Arie,
  6. 2006/10/05

Sorry about the attachments.

I am using WIN 2K and do not have a > Performance and Maintenance > System. I must go to Control Panel >System >Advanced >Startup and Recovery then under "Write Debuging Information ".

I set the "Small Dump Directory" to a new directory: C:\dump but do not have any files in it as "Alerter" won't start in order to write the files.

I did a search on *.dmp and only found "user.dmp" in my Documents and Settings >All Users> Documents >DrWatson folder.

I found out that I can not attach the files as they are bigger than the maximum size, is there another addres that I can send these to you?

7. 2006/10/09

Still having the same problem

Hello Arie, thank you for your earlier help - unfortunately however, I am still having the same abrupt shutdown and reboot problems. I have tried to follow your instructions for getting you a "Memory.dmp" but I can not find one anywhere on my computer. I have followed the instructions you posted but find that there is no .dmp file because the "Alerter" will not start and I guess this is needed in order to write the .dmp files.

I did find a "user.dmp" in Dr Watson The file is over 19.8 M. I downloaded the debugwiz.exe to read user.dmp and create a "debuglog.txt file, however, when I open the .txt file the following is all that I get:
    =====================

Opened log file 'c:\debuglog.txt'

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp]
    Could not match Dump File signature - invalid file format
    Could not open dump file [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp], HRESULT 0x80004002
    "No such interface supported "
    =====================

In Dr Watson folder there is a file "drwtsn32.log" file along with the "user.dmp" file. I have tried to attach this file but each time I d I get the message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." The file is only 528 KB, should I copy the information in the file to a Post?

PLEASE let me know if there is anything else I can do to get you information, or BETTER YET, solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

8. 2006/10/09
    Arie

You'll have to run the dump file through the debugwiz.exe file.

And not the one found in DR.Watson, but the ones you find in \Windows\Minidump\.

If you can't get any dumps... going to be hard...

I did find this, maybe it gives you a clue:

Event 7000 Occurs If You Redirect the "Documents and Settings" Folder

Arie,
  9. 2006/10/09

Thank you for the idea, however, I do not think that is the reason - I have NEVER moved or changed the Documents and Settings folder from its original location in C:\. The problem with getting log or dump info is, I think, that Alerter service will not start. When I try to manually start I get the following error:

"Could not start the Alerter service on Local Computer
    The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.
    If the problem persists…… "

Further, I do not have a Windows\Minidump folder (actually since I am using WIN 2K Pro I only have a WINNT folder not a Windows folder), which again I believe is because Alerter won’t start in order to create a dump file.

10. 2006/10/09
    Arie

Are you fully up-to-date on Windows updates?

Arie,
  11. 2006/10/09

Yes, I keep it updated regularly. I even reloaded SP4 last week. Did you receive the Event log that I sent you by email? What is strange is that the probelm always occures with the same sequence of two preceeding events before it shuts down and reboots.