1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved ["error code 772" trying to use recovery disks]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Superthumbs, 2013/08/13.

1. 2013/08/13
    Superthumbs

Superthumbs Inactive Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

For a couple of months now I have been having issues with my Asus X52F laptop.

It just won't operate fully. For example, every time I turn on, it's a bit of a gamble whether it will half work, or not work at all. By "half work" I mean I can load up a couple of programs, such as Firefox, after about 15 minutes of waiting, but other programs such as Skype work maybe 1 out of 5 times, and others don't even load at all. Eventually the programs will freeze and crash though, requiring me to restart the computer (which I have to do by pressing and holding the power button, as a regular shut down just won't work anymore)

Occasionally, should I try and get into my Documents/Computer/etc., the whole operating system crashes!

Fed up of this, I made my recovery discs and tried to reset the computer.
    However, during the recovery process, it gets to about 10%, stays there for around an hour, then ejects the disc, claiming it can't be completed due to "error code 772 ".

I have no idea what to do next, as Malwarebytes says the computer is clean, and I can't even reset the laptop.

I am currently in Safe mode, as it behaves, and any help would be vastly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. 2013/08/13
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Recommend reading this post and then posting the requested log(s) in our Malware and Virus Removal forum.

If you are still having the same issue after being given a clean bill of health from one of our malware experts, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you/them solve the problem.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/08/18
    Superthumbs

Hi again,

I went over to the malware forum and have had a lot of help in cleaning up my computer.

Broni now appears to be pretty happy it is clean and has referred me back here to help with the remaining issues.

As of sorting the malware situation, the big issue is, as the thread title says, I get 10% into a system recovery then it stays there for about an hour until it presents Error 772 and ejects the disks!

Other issues include occasional computer crashes, problems when firing up programs like Firefox, skype and some others. Oddly, when the computer has just loaded up, the icons to the right of the start button are ones that have been told to open on boot up, but when I double click anything else, ie Firefox, it doesn't appear at the bottom.

Any ideas and help would be just brilliant!

Note, I've not tried another system restore since cleaning up the computer, so is that worth a go?

Thanks!

5. 2013/08/18
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Doing a System Restore may restore an infection.

--

Run Memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic next.

Windows 7 DVD also includes a memory testing option called Windows Memory Diagnostic which can be accessed by booting off your Windows DVD, choosing your language/keyboard options, and clicking the link Repair your computer at the bottom left on the Install Now screen. When prompted select your Windows Installation and click Next, here you can select the Windows Memory Diagnostic option.

Please note:

To work around the above, test the installed RAM in various configurations. If you have a single module, swap it around the slots. If you have a pair of modules, run each one singly, swapping between slots; and then run them in pairs swapping between pairs of slots. If you have 2 sets of matched modules do not get them mixed up.

6. 2013/08/19
    Superthumbs

I have run a windows memory test and it appears that no issues were found.

It then went into a check of the C drive automatically, and again it appears nothing was wrong.

What would be the next step after attempting to play around with the RAM?

7. 2013/08/19
    quickercarter

quickercarter Inactive

On the laptop you have a hidden recovery partition. This contains a copy of the original operating system ( including bloatware ) If you use the built in program ( not discs ) it will recover it to the day you bought it ( including bloatware ) The recovery discs are a copy of the hidden partition ( including bloatware).

8. 2013/08/22
    Superthumbs

AH ok, I see!

Where can I find the partition program on my computer?

9. 2013/08/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

IF the laptop has a Recovery Partition you will see on the boot screen (DOS) 'Press F xx for Recovery'. Just hit that and follow the on screen instructions.

10. 2013/08/24
    Superthumbs

Hi everyone,

I have successfully recovered the partition and the laptop is like how I bought it.

Many thanks for all your help.

11. 2013/08/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great news!

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

12. 2013/09/12
    quickercarter

quickercarter Inactive

Generally, everything that you install (Windows + applications + games) should be on C:. All user-related data (movies, pictures, downloads, whatever) should be on another partition. That means that all personal data is NOT on your C, only the program data which can be replaced.

Last edited: 2013/09/12