1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error code 1000008e Blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Halio, 2009/06/01.

1. 2009/06/01
    Halio

Halio Inactive Thread Starter

Getting the dreaded blue screen of death every time I open up one of my computer games. The graphics distort and then my system just explodes.

Full parameter information of the error is "Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfad0f94, parameter3 a92fa99c, parameter4 00000000. "

I have downloaded all of Microsoft's updates for my computer and checked my hard disc for errors.

Other information that might be helpful.. Just reformatted my computer and I know this error is related to ram in some way and I am not using the factory ram anymore. However the ram I installed was working perfectly fine before I did the reformat.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks!

Last edited: 2009/06/01
  2. 2009/06/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi and welcome to the BBS,

Have you installed all the drivers? There should be a drivers disk that came with the system. The graphics drivers might be on a separate disk.

The sequence I would follow is (after installing Windows), chipset drivers, graphics drivers, audio and any other drivers. After that I would get Windows Updates, but not any Service Pack. I would go to the system manufacturer's website and update any of those drivers before getting any Service Pack/s.

Games are very dependent on a good set of drivers, particularly graphics drivers.

If I have any problems with a recent install of Windows, it gets wiped out and I reinstall.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/06/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS :)
    I doubt this is related to RAM.

Is there a file noted along with the Error message? Are you are using an nVidia card? Have you updated the drivers?

After reformatting did you load the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Follow these instructions .....

Set up the computer so that it does not automatically restart on system failure .....

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings ....

Under System failure uncheck 'Automatically restart' and under Write debugging information select 'Kernel memory dump' from the dropdown list and OK out.

The computer will now show the BSOD in the event of a System failure giving details of the Stop message and the contents of the memory will be dumped to disk.

Run the dump data through our Dump Data Collection Tool and post the log here (copy/paste).

Unfortunately these logs require expert knowledge to analyze and there are currently no members that have the depth of knowledge necessary. Members can only make observations and suggestions as to how you might proceed toward finding the cause ....

5. 2009/06/01
    Halio

Halio Inactive Thread Starter

Alright, I'm running a sony vaio laptop (http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VGN-FS715/W&region_id=1) and I didn't actually use a disc for when I reformatted. I used their little system recovery thingy so I'm not sure how I would separately update my drivers.

Secondly, not sure what chipset drivers are.

Thirdly, I followed PeteC's instructions and am about to cause the blue screen error again. (its really as simple as logging onto my game and opening up a few charector screens.) I'm kinda concerened about finding the dump data though. PeteC said that it would be dumped to my disc? How would I access that?

Sorry about the lack of computer knowledge, but I really do appreciate the help.

6. 2009/06/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

As noted in the URL for our Dump Data Wizard ....
    Assuming you have followed the instructions to install the debugging tools and download and unzip debugwiz.zip, run debugwiz.exe , use the Browse button to browse to the location of the dump file and select it. Then hit the generate log button.

7. 2009/06/02
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here are the drivers:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNFS715W
    The chipset drivers are under Motherboard.
    They seem to be mainly original, not updated drivers, but I would run them anyway. Check the order of installation I mentioned, Chipset -> Video -> Audio, you probably don't need others if they seem to be working, maybe Network and Wireless, but you might need to identify the controller. Get the System Components drivers.

It would good to download SIW (see my signature). It will tell you a lot about your system, oh, see this:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/adding_system_specifications.html
    but, it may have a little trouble reading Sony's specific information and you need a good chipset drivers for it to work correctly.

The chipset is the "secondary" chips on the motherboard that feed information to the main CPU. They "oversee" all the other hardware controllers (graphics, audio, etc). If they don't have a good set of drivers, the data cannot get to/from the CPU to be processed.

Check that your games are suitable for your system (check the System Requirements for the game). They might not mention mobile graphics adapters and usually not Intel adapters at all. Were the games working "perfectly" before you reformatted?

Matt