1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

eradicating WMP 9 before it multiplies

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by keywester, 2004/01/24.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/24
    keywester

keywester Inactive Thread Starter

Well, LINUX is looking better all the time. I have procured a new laptop running XP and it has a Windows Media Player 9.0 install component "embedded" into a folder that cannot be renamed or deleted, always indicating that something that uses WMP is running, but I am unable to ascertain such a critter. When I attempt to start a win media file, it tries to install 9.0, but I cancel out of it and it is still as was. I have obtained the old version 7.1 of WMP and tried to install that, but it will not let me do that, indicating that a newer version is available and it is not necessary to install the old version....

I then muddled through various searches for about an hour trying to determine how to get around this predicament and came to the realization that it could be hours before I bumbled across the resolution, and have decided to post the situation and save myself time and frustration...

How can I get rid of the WMP9 garbage and install 7.1 or 8.0 at the worst???

2. 2004/01/24
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Version 6-point-something is still in XP. Go to Start>Run and type in "mplayer2" (without the quotes), click OK. See if that version will do what you want. If so, just go into its options and mark it as the default player for the file types listed there.

Last edited: 2004/01/24
    Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/25
    keywester

keywester Inactive Thread Starter

thanks MIZ, good info...

5. 2004/01/26
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Others may want to look in C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic to see if mplayerc.exe is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.