1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Emptying the Recycle Bin with CCleaner.

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by BobbyScot, 2017/05/06.

1. 2017/05/06
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Emptying Recycle Bin using CCleaner, will carry out this, even when the file is deleted on the HD. It shows the file and proceeds with deleting (prolonged). To stop this, requires to disconnect the HD with file saved. Other is to untick box in CCleaner -System - empty recycle bin. I have reinstalled CCleaner, error is still present. Is there a fix for this error?

2. 2017/05/06
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have no clue what you are talking about. What error? To stop what? What OS? :(

In CCleaner, how do you have Options > Settings > "Secure Deletion" set.

Understand CCleaner does no "wipe" the file clean, unless you select Secure file deletion. This means even if you have CCleaner empty the Recycle Bin, you can use programs like Recuva (from the same makers as CCleaner) to recover deleted files (as long as they have not been overwritten through normal use).

And if your Recycle bin is corrupt, CCleaner does not fix it. How to fix corrupt recycle bin.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/06
    BobbyScot

Sorry. CCleaner settings: Secure Deletion>Very Complex 35 passes. Wipe not selected. C drive is SSD.
    In clicking Analyse - process shows that another HD (I) instead of HD (C) is being analysed, continues to Delete file on HD (I). if not stopped. To stop this process requires to press cancel or disconnect HD (I). Unless HD (I) is disconnected when using CCleaner, error persists. Neither CCleaner or Recycle Bin show an Error Caption box on screen during analyse.

5. 2017/05/06
    Bill

That is wipe. If you look at the wipe settings, those are for the free space. There is no need for secure delete (or wipe) unless you are getting rid of the drive. And even then, 1 pass is plenty. 35 passes is just extreme overkill.

Bill,
  6. 2017/05/06
    BobbyScot

I do not use Wipe. I agree 7 passes is sufficient. Most interested to find the reason for the Recycle Bin error and to what has or is the cause of it. Bobby.

7. 2017/05/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do not download anything just follow the Command Prompt instructions and I suggest you right click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator Fix Corrupt Recycle Bin

lj50,
  8. 2017/05/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

9. 2017/05/07
    BobbyScot

lj50, thanks for response. Selected Prompt Run as Administrator, entered as shown: C:\Windows\System32>rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin. Clicked Enter. It showed that C:\Windows\System32 is not recognised as an Internal or External Command.

Last edited: 2017/05/07
  10. 2017/05/07
    Bill

Yes you are! As I said, secure deletion is wipe. It is not wiping the entire drive but it is wiping those locations where the deleted files were located.
    That's not agreeing. 7 passes is overkill. 2 passes is overkill, a waste of time, a waste of electricity, and it causes unnecessary wear and tear on hard drives. 1 pass is sufficient.

Wipe should never be used on SSDs because it does not work because of the way SSDs use "wear leveling".

C:\windows\system32 the folder location, not part of the command.

That is from the command prompt, you enter: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

And note you have q not /q.

Bill,
  11. 2017/05/07
    BobbyScot

Bill thanks for pointing out typing error and that at the prompt should be rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin. Thanks Bobby.

12. 2017/05/07
    BobbyScot

Error is still current. In CCleaner if the System "Empty Recycle.bin" is ticked, the HD referenced "I" shows one file for deletion. Other than disconnecting HD "I" it requires to cancel CCleaner session.

13. 2017/05/10
    BobbyScot

I see that the "C" HD is shown as an SSD drive on my computer, should it then not use the CCleaner function? The Command prompt now known as Windows Power Shell on my computer. Entry of above rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin shows as not recognised.

14. 2017/05/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What ever happened to the concept of right clicking on the recycle bin and selecting the EMPTY optiono_O

15. 2017/05/10
    BobbyScot

Steve, good point. Thought it only removed until next over write to the Recycle Bin.

16. 2017/05/10
    Bill

Except when you empty the Recycle bin, the file is not actually deleted from the drive. The space it previous occupied is just marked as free in the tables. A file recovery program like Recuva may still be able to recover it, or parts of it.

Based on the comments made in post #3 above about "Secure Deletion>Very Complex 35 passes", that is not a simple delete/erase function, but is actually a "wipe" function, where random 1s and 0s are overwriting the previously saved data 35 times (35 passes).

I have no clue what you are implying by "next over write to the Recycle Bin".

Is deleting a file and emptying my recycle bin enough?

17. 2017/05/10
    BobbyScot

Recycle Bin is installed on the "C" drive, if 35 passes are actually "Wipe Process", then it can damage the "C" drive, as in my case it is an "SSD" drive.

18. 2017/05/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My advice Bobby is just use the Recycle bin with your SSD. DON'T use ANY "OVERWRITING" software because you will shorten your SSD's life.
    You need to read and understand the links that have been provided as ALL deletion methods are very clearly explained and when and when not to use them.

Last edited: 2017/05/11
  19. 2017/05/11
    Bill

35 passes won't "damage" your SSD per se , it will shorten its life. And as I noted before SSDs use "wear leveling" to spread out the usage so the entire drive wears evenly. This means storage locations previously used will be skipped - that's why wipe does not work to obliterate any previously saved data.

35 passes on a hard drive just creates an excessive amount of wear and tear on the motors.

And more to the point, such extreme measures to delete data is a huge waste of time. A single pass enough to prevent anybody from recovering your data.

And even a simple erase (no wiping at all) is not needed if you keep using the drive because soon data, including 1000s of temporary Internet files and cookies will be written to those locations, overwriting any previously saved data anyway. Instead of random 1s and 0s, it will be 1s and 0s representing random cookies.

And BTW, typical there is a recycle bin on each drive. But the desktop recycle bin, Windows Disk Cleanup, and CCleaner takes care of them all together.

20. 2017/05/12
    BobbyScot

Your advices are most appreciated, thank you.