1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Duplicate File Finder with folder selection (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Cool Javelin, 2016/06/22.

1. 2016/06/22
    Cool Javelin

Cool Javelin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been searching for a freeware duplicate file finder whereby, I can select a folder to make the finder select any duplicates from there, rather then selecting hundreds or thousands of files individually.

Most finders find the dups, then just give me a list and I must select each file. Way too much work.

I found one called "AntiTwin" that has this feature, and that part works well, but other bugs essentially make it useless as it does not find all the duplicates.

Further, AntiTwin does not delete the empty folders after it has removed all files from it.

Does anyone know of any other freeware duplicate file finders that has these features?

Thanks, Mark.

(reminder sent 08/02/2016)

Last edited by a moderator: 2016/08/02
  2. 2016/06/22
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I use the one built into CCleaner.

That seems reasonable. How would it know you don't want to keep the folder? That said, dupeGuru is a decent program and you can tell it remove folders if empty when done.

As far as not finding all the duplicates, all it takes is one missing space or one extra comma in a 50 page document and it is no longer a duplicate.

In any case, the first time you run any program like this can result in an overwhelming number of hits - especially on an older system. So I have found it better to run it every month or so to stay on top of things.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.