1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dual Monitors - Force Program to Open on Primary Display

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hedical, 2013/05/13.

1. 2013/05/13
    hedical

hedical Inactive Thread Starter

G'Day
    I would like to force a program to always open on my main monitor, is there a way of doing this?

I have looked at the forums and found a thread that is the same (though the issue has been resolved)

I have tried the answer (to that thread) and found that the answer is just a short cut to swap the program between windows. eg after swapping windows and closing the program, and then restarting the program it still opens on the 2nd monitor and i have to swap it again, at the cost of turning my head which defeats the purpose of swapping it in the first place.

I also have found that many other programs do this, even though I have set my main monitor as the main monitor in the graphics options.

I like to turn my 2nd monitor off to save on power usage when not needed and have found unless I physically disconnect the HDMI cable the programs still start up on the 2nd monitor and i have to turn it on to switch it between monitors

any help would be great

2. 2013/05/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS :)

There should be no need to force a program to open on the main monitor providing that it was opened and closed on that monitor. I run 7 with dual monitors set up in Control Panel > Display > Adjust Resolution - Multiple Displays - Extend these displays.

With these settings there are 2 scenarios .....

If a program is opened on the main display, restored down and dragged to the second display and maximised it can be used as normal on the second display. If it is then restored down and dragged to the main monitor and then shut down it will reopen on that monitor.

If a program is opened on the main display, restored down and dragged to the second display and closed on that monitor it will reopen on that monitor.

Windows remembers where the program was last positioned.

If the above modus operandi is not working for you I would consider reinstalling/updating your graphics drivers.

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/05/13
    hedical

hedical Inactive Thread Starter

Cheers PeteC

that kinda helps when explained like that, though that doesn't really help when the 2nd monitor goes into power saving mode and turns off with a program still opened in it, then I still have to turn it back on to see the window and manually move the window to the main to shut it down, or use the short cut windows button+shift+ direction arrow
    Well I suppose there has to be some con's in running an extended display setup

thanks again

hedical

5. 2013/05/14
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Might consider disabling the power saver feature.

6. 2013/05/14
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Or Synchronize it on both displays.

I never switch off my 2nd monitor. I have two ancient LCD's (2005 Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19 ") and one only uses 38W when operational anyway.

Arie,