1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Jim, 2002/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/09
    Jim

Jim Inactive Thread Starter

I installed Win 2K on a new partition using Partition Magic 7.
    Every thing is fine except the dual boot utility in Win2k does not show Win98 as the alternative OS. At the moment I am changing OS's by using PQ Boot . This works well, but it irritates me not being able to get the Win2K dual boot utility to work! Any ideas?

Rgard Jim

Jim,
  2. 2002/01/09
    Tekguy

Tekguy Guest

Kinda some help

Your problem is because of the partition magic. To fix you have to enter the windows 98 install manually into the boot.ini file located (hidden) in the c:\

As to what to enter, I cant remember it has been to long since I edited a boot.ini

Alternately you can set up 2 fresh partition using fdisk and re-install everything. But you loose data that is not backed up.

Tek

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/09
    obenton

obenton Inactive

You can edit boot.ini and insert, if it's not already there, the line C:\= "Previous Operating System on C:" (you can edit what's in the quotes to whatever you want to see). Also, the files bootsect.dos, io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com must also be on C:. To do all of the above (if you prefer to not do it manually), and to bring up the w2k boot menu in case a third-party boot manager changed your C: boot sector, you can run fixboot from the w2k Recovery Console, or do a w2k repair install and select the option to inspect the boot files.

5. 2002/01/09
    ossa

ossa Inactive

Here's what yu need for a "boot.ini "

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT= "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT= "Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    C:\= "Microsoft Windows "

you'll also need these 2 files in the root of C:\>

ntldr.sys
    ntdetect.com

ossa,
  6. 2002/01/11
    Jim

Jim Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Gentlemen, I'll very nervously try the suggested remedies Jim

Jim,
Thread Status: