1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

DSL vs U-Verse

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by James Martin, 2015/08/05.

1. 2015/08/05
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

Anyone here use AT&T's U-Verse?

I am having connection issues with DSL, and every time I call tech support, they do their best to get me to convert to U-Verse. I know of locals that switched to U-Verse and hate it.

The AT&T reps say that DSL will soon be discontinued, but I have my doubts. I may switch over to Time-Warner Cable if I get pressured too much.

2. 2015/08/05
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

I've been a subscriber to U-verse for 8 years now. I have the bundle containing Internet, TV and land-line, and I'm quite pleased with it. Haven't needed tech support very often, and when I have they've been generally responsive and quick. It's possible that service may vary from area to area, of course.

I just ran a Speakeasy download speed test and got 29.24 Mbps.

Consumer Reports rated bundled services recently and AT&T U-verse showed up quite well for customer satisfaction.

James Martin likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/07
    James Martin

Thanks, Bobbo,

Did you have to sign a time agreement (12 months, etc.) of some sort? Are there any data limits?

I'm all for fiber optic connections, but, unless it is preinstalled with new construction, chances are the end user will be relying on existing copper wires for the end run since the optics cables probably stop at a nearby node junction.

You mentioned that your services are bundled; does that mean your phone service is VoIP? If it is, I assume you need a battery backup in case of a power outage? Did AT&T supply all of this, and is there an extra charge for such equipment? Our old analog dial tone service is hard to beat, and I'm sure the wife would give me down the road if U-Verse phone service gave her any problems.

5. 2015/08/07
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have Optimum they have a bundle Internet, TV and Telephone(land line. I pay so much a month. No data limits. We recently dumped the phone because we never used it. We us our cell phones exclusively.

lj50,
  6. 2015/08/08
    James Martin

Found this on the web...

Sounds like AT&T is in a jam with their old POTS (plain old telephone service) and the need to go completely digital.

The phone tech came out today, and he replaced the components (ADSL POTS splitter, etc.) inside the outdoor box and even went so far as to replace the 30-year-old wire coming in from the utility pole. He said that I would need that new wire anyway if I ever decide to go with U-Verse. I don't think I've had any disconnects yet, but time will tell. I checked my speed at speedtest.net, and the ping time is coming in at 7 milliseconds. It used to be higher than that. Does a faster ping time mean much?

For what it's worth, the rep told me that I have a direct line 6500 feet from the AT&T's main office.

Last edited: 2015/08/08
  7. 2015/08/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Just tested mine James, Ping = 4ms DL = 29.08Mbps Upload = 9.29Mbps. Neil.

8. 2015/08/09
    James Martin

My ping rates used to run around 100ms or so in the past. Not sure what to make of it though without doing some research.

9. 2015/08/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The lower the number the better I think. Neil.

10. 2015/08/09
    James Martin

Had one recorded disconnect today. There may have been others, but I did not see them.