1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dreaded Freeze

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Lis, 2003/06/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/06/10
    Lis Lifetime Subscription

Lis Inactive Thread Starter

I now would like to know why, "intermittantly ", my PC just freezes where the mouse doesn't move, Ctrl, Alt, Delete, doesn't work & I am forced to hit the main power button off and back on. . At which time, scan disk automatically runs because I didn't shut down properly. As I said, this freeze doesn't occur every day. Days can go by, before it happens again. Is this just normal for anyone owning a PC?. Please advise. Thanks for your time.

T:mad: :mad: hot in West Texas

Lis,
  2. 2003/06/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Start a manual log and keep track of what you were doing 30 min or so before the freeze. You might be able to track down a culprit. Could be any number of things causing the problem.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/06/10
    Train

Train Inactive

Also to add to that, when was the last time the computer was cleaned of all the dirt and dustbunnies? A overheating video card will cause that too.

5. 2003/06/11
    sunny

sunny Inactive

Try going to start, run and typing msconfig. Click on the startup tab and unselect any unwanted programs that are loading at startup. Go here to read about what is safe to get rid of.
    http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/index.htm
    Leave load power profile, system tray, explorer, scan registry and your anti-virus software checked.
    Do a scan disc and defrag and get rid of your temporary internet files and your cookies.
    You can try lowering your hardware acceleration by going to Control Panel, display and then clicking on the settings tab and then the advanced button and then the performance tab. Lower the slider a notch or two where it says hardware acceleration.
    You can also set your display and mouse pointer to windows standard.

Video card drivers can also cause freezing problems. Do you have the most up to date driver for your card?

Freezing up can also be caused by heat. Have you looked at the inside of your case lately? You can buy an air can at staples and blow the dust out of the PC. Make sure all of the fans are running while inside. Touch a metal part of the case before opening it to release static.

Do you have AOL? I have seen that program cause Alot of problems with freezing.

Also if you were just inside of the box adding hardware, make sure that all the cables to the drives are connected firmly. I once had a box that locked up all of the time. I tried everything and here it was a loose connection to the floppy drive.

You might also run a scan for Spyware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

6. 2003/06/11

Thanks for all the info. I shall take action and report back at some later date.

Lis,
  7. 2003/06/11
    Alice

Alice Banned

That's a good place to start and if it fixes the freeze-ups then that would point to a video driver issue.

I have some notes on lockups and freezes you can look through, here:
    http://home.att.net/~wymette/Lockups.txt

8. 2003/06/11
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Hehehe .............. This could be a free-for-all!

Lis, just about anything anybody could write could be causing your problem. Could be hardware related and could be software related - the best advice you got was to start a log.

In the meantime, beware - there are umpteen bazillion possible causes and twice as many solutions. Once you've got a little more information post back with specifics.

;)

Last edited: 2003/06/11
  9. 2003/06/19

Have accomplished many functions to include Spybot, Ad-aware 6, CM disk cleaner and a selective startup. System resources are currently 92% at start up. Not bad. PC performance is better, however an Iexplorer not responding occurs once each day? Perhaps I should requistion a "Iexplorer not responding" killer kit?
    Appreciate all your replies with the "hot poop ". Answer when time permits. :rolleyes:

Lis,
  10. 2003/06/19
    Alice

Alice Banned

A little more detail please.

11. 2003/06/19
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

OK, first place to go is control panel add/remove and navigate to Microsoft Internet Explorer and select it to be removed - go slow - now select the middle option - Repair Browser. Do it and reboot - see if that helps. If no, post back and we'll reinstall all your browser files as originally downloaded problem free - not to worry, they are there ready and waiting if we need to do this.

;)

12. 2003/06/22

Ran "repair browser ". Problem still exist once a day. When I hit ctrl/alt/delete the "Iexplorer not responding" appears? Please advise. Thanks.

Lis,
  13. 2003/06/22
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

OK, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the Windows Update Setup Files which will be found under Windows. Locate IE6setup.exe and double click it. Here we go with a total reinstall of all your pristine uncorrupted browser files.

Note : before you run this, shut down all running programs except explorer and systray. That should keep us pretty clean.

Post back your results & good luck.

;)

14. 2003/06/23
    Alice

Alice Banned

Twice you mentioned "iexplorer" as not responding (the first time I thought it was a typo, for either IEXPLORE (Internet Explorer) or EXPLORER (Windows Explorer)

Do you see iexplorer in the task list when you first start up the computer? You should see EXPLORER but not IEXPLORER. It may help if you post a list of your startup programs, the ones that run when Windows starts.

If you really have a file named iexplorer.exe on your system, post back with it's location. You may have a virus or other malware.

For example, this is from http://www.wilderssecurity.net/specialinfo/rapidblaster.html
    SPYWARE ALERT: RapidBlaster........under "List of Known RapidBlaster filenames/folder locations (updated: June 10, 2003) "
    it includes:
    - iexplorer.exe (In a "iexplorer" folder in Program Files) <-- do not try deleting this unless you are sure it is RapidBlaster!

15. 2003/06/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Great catch, Alice .............
    ;)

16. 2003/06/23

Found two folders, windows update setup files? One with ie5 and the other with ie6 setup files. Ran ie6 files to no avail. Issue remains? At startup: system tray, scan reg, critical update and NAV agent. iexplorer.exe is not on my PC.

This is number 100 for me. Make a note. I'm being educated. BBS staff has been nice to me. Perhaps I should have an olive at 1700 hrs. today to celebrate?

Lis,
  17. 2003/06/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Congratulations ......

OK, so no soap - still have a problem, huh? I guess that brings us back to the "start a log" school of thought - we need to get this pinned down a little better - what were you running at the time of the hiccup? What programs were open? How long had you been running? Give us as much info as possible. Whats running at startup?

Also, if no file found re: Alice Tip, then just was that error message you were seeing? Go to your start button, settings, folder options and under the advanced tab, select to show all files and show full file names. Then do a find file or folder search again.

;)

18. 2003/06/23

Start button, settings, folder options and there is no advanced tab available? Should I delete the ie5.5 folder? Iexplorer not responding is the issue.

Lis,
  19. 2003/06/23
    Alice

Alice Banned

Don't delete IE5.5! You may have to uninstall IE6 and go back to it! If your error is "explorer not responding" , then look at this newsgroup post I found.

================copy/paste=================
    Subject: Re: Explorer not responding
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    Date: 2002-06-20 12:37:11 PST

Though a number of things can cause this problem in Win98, what I think is
    the cause in *your* case is that you are using IE6. There are many reports
    of IE6 causing this exact behavior when it is installed on Win98. In those
    cases, uninstalling IE6 solves the problem.

My present recommendation is that the optimal IE version for Win98 is IE
    5.5, latest service pack.

--
    Jim Eshelman MS-MVP
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org
    Forums: http://aumha.org/forum/

C Gutta wrote:
    :: I just started having a problem about a week ago.
    ::
    :: I am running windows 98SE and has it set up with Microsoft family
    :: login, where each one of my family members has their own desktop,
    :: favorites, etc.
    :: There is only one user that is having this problem, and that is me.
    :: I have uninstalled any software that I thought I installed around
    :: the time the problem started, but I am still having the save problem.
    :: The problem I am having is this. After I use Internet explorer or
    :: windows explorer for a few minutes, or a few clicks rather, windows
    :: will lock up on me. When I CTRL+ALT+DEL, In the close program box,
    :: it always says Explorer not responding. I can End Task the apps
    :: that are not responding. They are always Internet explorer or
    :: windows explorer, and continue. But when I do this, Most of the
    :: program Icons in my sys tray disappear. Then eventually it does it
    :: again.
    =================end c/p==================

Even though the above post is from last year, Jim Eshelman still believes that IE5.5 is the better browser for Win98, even though IE6SP1 is supposedly better than just IE6.

This is from the E-List news, http://winsupportcenter.com/elist.htm
    ==========copy/paste==============
    ANOTHER BAD MOVE: NO MORE IE 5.5
    (New content 21 Jun 03)

In another bad move involving Internet Explorer, Microsoft recently dropped IE 5.5 downloads completely off its website. Astonishingly, they left IE 5 in place!

This is really unfortunate because, as has been documented repeatedly in this newsletter, IE 6 just doesn’t cooperate with a high percentage of Windows 98 installations. Some of my fellow MS-MVPs argue that, since Service Pack 1, these problems have been resolved and, to a noticeable degree, they have. Not good enough! "” because the problems are still there for a lot of Win98 users. I get emails on this weekly and see newsgroup posts on it daily. IE 5.5 (latest Service Pack) is the optimum version of Internet Explorer for most Windows 98 systems.
    ================end c/p=================

20. 2003/06/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I tend to disagree with the dissing of IE6.

Do install the IE 6sp1 service pack if you haven't already.

;)

Last edited: 2003/06/23
  21. 2003/06/24
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Lis, does this happen, when you are connected to the Internet? I did sometime ago have a similar thing happen to me and it happend to be a program in my case "Real Player" ringing up home in the background.
    Good Luck
    hawk22

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.