1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Downloading photos from cell-phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by fdamp, 2011/10/10.

1. 2011/10/10
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This is not a "pure" Windows thing, but I figure this forum probably has more multi-device experts than anywhere else.

We recently switched mobile phone supplier from Virgin/Sprint to Verizon to get better coverage when we're out in the RV. We aren't heavy users, just use it to call out and when on the road we keep it turned on for people to call us.

It's not a "Smartphone" but a regular flip-phone (by LG)with a built-in camera. Verizon don't even off a phone that doesn't have a camera.

What is baffling me is that I can't find any way of downloading the photos. The camera has a miniature USB socket that also does duty as the input to recharge it. It didn't come with another USB cable.

I've tried the compatible cable from my Kindle, but the computer doesn't recognize the camera as an external drive.

In the handbook, the only mechanism that's mentioned for getting photos off the camera is toe send them to a Verizon site from which they will e-mail them to you. It takes a data agreement (extra $$) and the procedure reduces the resolution of the photos to about 10% of what the camera took.

It seems really dumb to put a feature in the camera that isn't usable by even someone with limited computing skills. Has anyone run across a means of getting photos to download directly?

2. 2011/10/10
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Exact model of LG phone would help, as well as your Operating system details...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/10/10
    fdamp

My computer system is on file with Windows BBS, but it's Windows XP with SP3 and all updates thruogh a week ago.

The hardware has 512MB RAM (not enough, I know!) in an eSystems box with an Athlon chip running at 2.2 GHz.

The phone is an LG, but nowhere does it give a model number or name. In the "Phone info" it gives a hardware version A100001950E973 Revision 1 MEID.

5. 2011/10/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi fdamp, Do you have any specs for your phone? The camera must record to media of some type. Does it use the SIM card for storage or is there a SD card or Micro SD card?
    There should be available from LG, an interface cable to connect with your PC or to a card reader.
    I have recently moved into the Android world - a Smartphone (Huawei U8150D) touch screen, camera etc. On this phone, the cable that connects the phone to the wall outlet to charge the battery, has a Micro USB connector and a Standard USB connector into the charger/wall socket.
    To get the camera to work, I had to purchase an 8GB Micro SDHC card which came with an adapter (USB to PC) and I have to dismount the card > insert into the adapter > plug into PC.
    All is recognized and I can Download photos and save in Picasa 3 in the PC.
    I would imagine there should be an interface cable for your phone as it is possible to update software in cell phones from the manufacturer through the computer.
    If you open your phone and remove the battery - there should be Model info etc. in that area. Cheers Neil.

6. 2011/10/10
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

Hi fdamp,
    I have the same problem (different Phone).
    My workaround is I E-Mail the pictures to my E-Mail address till I find a better way of doing it.
    Also it is rare that I use my Phone to take pictures.

Sven

SVEN,
  7. 2011/10/10
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Does the phone have Blue Tooth? If so, get a USB Dongle and do it that way. That is how I did it with my old LG Xeon.

8. 2011/10/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

That may be the case but we can't see them...

from System Details

fdamp likes this.
  9. 2011/10/11
    clitwin13 Lifetime Subscription

clitwin13 Well-Known Member

fdamp... check the "small USB" cable that came with the phone. Most Verizon phone chargers unplug on both ends meaning that the wall plug end is also an adapter that accomodates a normal size USB connection. When you unplug the wire from the adapter you can then connect your phone to the USB port on your computer and use the function on your phone to transfer the photos...regards.... Carl

10. 2011/10/11
    fdamp

I found the model name in the on-line user hadnbook. It's an "Accolade" by LG. Reading though the handbook, in the "Pictures" section, the only way that it shows to download pictures is to an on-line album, for which, I understand, you have to have data service. We decided not to add data service as it's a PHONE.

I am going to dink around a bit with the USB hook-up, but it appears that the entire functionality of the phone is within the sim card.

I'm going to stop by the Verizon store where we bought it and give them a hard time about selling a phone with a camera that you can't extract the photos.

I'll mark this thread "Resolved" and I'll go update my system description information, for both my desktop machine and DW's netbook

I guess we just have to quit taking photos. We have a digital camera and a 35mm SLR film camera for that task.

11. 2011/10/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

According to LG's site

This does suggest transfer of picture to PC is possible via bluetooth.

Please do so it makes things less complicated when looking for assistance.

12. 2011/10/11
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member