1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Downloading / installing Unicode to upgrade to Opera v. 11.00]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Glen108, 2014/01/08.

1. 2014/01/08
    Glen108

Glen108 Inactive Thread Starter

I'm still running Windows 98 and using Opera 1060 as my Browser.
    I want to upgrade to Opera 1100 and had to download UNICODE.
    The message I receive from UNICODE is: WHAT LOCATION DO YOU WANT
    TO EXTRACT THESE FILES TO?
    I have no idea as where they should go, and need suggestions from anyone
    that can help me solve this problem.
    Thanks guys,
    Glen 108

2. 2014/01/08
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/31
    ThomasJK

ThomasJK Well-Known Member

Hi Glen108, maybe you could try extracting those files to the same directory where your browsers executable files are, (Program files\opera, I think). If it doesnt work, then extract them to subdirectories of before mentioned directory, if there are any. I think thats where the browser would expect to find files it needs.

And when/if you get it working, you should then remove unnecessary copies of those files. That will be easier, if you know what files you had in those directories, before you extracted those new files.

You could print directory listings of the contents of those directories, before extracting the files. Run ms-dos prompt, when you have C:\ flashing at the dos prompt, type "cd program files\opera "enter, then "dir>dirlist.txt" enter. Then you have a textfile named dirlist.txt at the directory in question, which shows the contents of that directory, before you extracted any new files in it. Do the same thing for every subdirectory. That way you know what files you originally had in those directories, and can remove unnecessary copies of them. Probably a bit tedious task, if there are a lot of files in those directories.

Last edited: 2014/01/31