1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Download of Windows 10.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2015/07/23.

1. 2015/07/23
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I have searched for an answer without much success. It does not really apply in my case as I have no install of Windows 7 or 8.1.in my computer. Windows 10 is to be free to people who have the required versions of Windows, and presume only one download is allowed and only for the first year. What happens if it requires a computer to have a clean re-install owing to corruption? Does this mean purchase of a full version of Windows 10?

2. 2015/07/23
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/23
    BobbyScot

lj50, thank you for response, it is most helpful. At least my computer is eligible to run Windows 10. The question is buy Home edition or Pro of Windows 7 and receive free version of Windows 10 or just buy Windows 10, according to prices asked, the difference is not that great. Thanks, Bobby.
    Having said this, Windows 7 Home edition is £63 and Pro at £113.

5. 2015/07/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bob, If you have 3 or 4 eligible computers (ie. W7/8.1) they will all be upgraded to W10 FREE.
    I have 1 drive with W7 Pro 64bit. 1 HP Notebook with W8.1 Pro 64bit. 2 comps with W8.1 Pro 64bit. 2 Drives with W10 Insider 64bit and as I understand - they are ALL to be upgraded to W10.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-create-an-installation-dvd-or-usb-for-build/94ed9bb0-e638-4d7e-9678-7f45c8666013?OCID=WIP_r_Body_Wiki
    This is worth a read. Neil.

6. 2015/07/24
    BobbyScot

Hello Neil, will certainly have a read. Unfortunately I belong to the one and only one computer brigade due to limited financial funds - sorry. Bobby.

7. 2015/07/24
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

We have three computers, but I'm retiring my old XP desktop and DW's iPad won't be eligible!! I'm still struggling with some of 8.1's quirks after 11 years with XP.

8. 2015/07/24
    BobbyScot

I am quite happy with Windows Vista, except no Backup/Restore available due to a "Catastrophic Error" reported on monitor screen. Otherwise, can do most daily routine workings. Should Vista become belly up, will then install a more up to date version of Windows, certainly not 8 or 8.1.

9. 2015/07/24
    retiredlearner

You will notice quite a change if you go directly to W10. I've had the time over the last 2 years to get used to W8.1 and can work my way round W10 because of that experience.
    I would strongly advise trying W8.1 as it's been written down by too many who just didn't like the Metro/Tiles GUI Full Stop!!!
    Technology is not going to go backwards - if there are mistakes/errors they will be corrected and improved.
    We've moved a long way since you cranked a handle on the Telphone and asked for a number and then had several people answer the ring because you shared a party line with 10 others.
    We can see and talk to our friends via Skype these days, so let's move with the times.
    Having built my own comps for the last 11 years, I made the move to using all new parts with the last 2 units Bob with the idea that they should last me out.
    The HP Notebook was a completely new unit purchased from a Retailer and that was W8 OS initially which was upgraded to W8.1 by MS and enables us to be mobile with our communications while on holidays.
    I also enjoy communicating by "Smart Phone" with family and friends but have yet to get my wife up to speed with the phones I've given her. Technical detail she finds hard to follow and yet she was a school teacher for over 20 years and had University Quals as well.
    I only hope before I kick the bucket that she makes the effort to learn how to use a smartphone. Neil.

10. 2015/07/25
    BobbyScot

Neil, your wife is not alone, I for one never or will ever have a mobile phone of any description. I only answer a line phone if forced too. CO volunteers, thankfully. I have over the many past years always bought computers not the cheapest or the dearest, as it has been proved, you get what you pay for.

11. 2015/07/25
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

We have cell-phone service, but not with a smart phone. Phones are for talking to people!

Because of the ludicrous price we're charged by Comcast for their bundled service with phone, cable TV and Internet (getting close to $300 a month), we're considering dropping the land-line and going mobile only. Other family members have done so and seem quite comfortable with it.

We have to have cable TV because of our location - almost 100 miles from the two cities where the transmitters are clustered, and high ground between our sea-level location and theirs. We can only get Channel 7 on a OTA antenna.

We use lap-tops for computer applications. I find it strange that people have big-screen TVs in the home, but tiny little hand-held ones that they use for video-related things.

12. 2015/07/25
    retiredlearner

It's called Peer Pressure Frank. My eldest grandson recently asked his mum if he could buy an i5 Apple phone. He had a perfectly good Samsung Galaxy S4, but quite a number of his college friends had Apples - so this is the Peer pressure to change the phone.
    Technically the Samsung was a better phone (by Review comparison) it has a 13 Mp camera compared to the Apples 8 Mp. but the pressure to keep up with the others ruled everything. Neil.

13. 2015/07/26
    BobbyScot

Just like sheep, follow blindly!

14. 2015/07/26
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member