1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Download failures

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lynn1102, 2017/07/20.

1. 2017/07/20
    lynn1102

lynn1102 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Needed time off for other projects. I'm still trying to upgrade my Windows version1607. I keep getting updates that fail to install after dozens of attempts. I was hoping to find someone else with the same problem but I don't know if they gave up or fixed the problem. I did run the program listed in the tutorial. I seems to do lots of stuff but didn't solve my problem. I'm trying to figure out what I need and how much I need if I have to wipe the drive and start over. Some of the programs I can't get any more. I have the data backed up, but not the programs.
    I have run every fix I can find and tried some of my own, but still get failed downloads. I have the ISO file on disc and flash drive and this morning it got to 33% and quit with no explanation. The Creator version gets to 89% and quits with no explanation, and that's a long wasted hour plus.
    Any opinions on calling MS to see if they have any ideas or should I bite the bullet and wipe it?

2. 2017/07/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/07/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Lynn. I would try Performing a clean boot in Windows and see if that allows build 1703 to install properly.

Do you get an error code for the update that is not installing?

5. 2017/07/21
    lynn1102

Never got an error code on any of the failed installs. Yesterday I checked several times and had no new updates. Last night when I shut down the computer, I got the message about not shutting down the computer - don't remember the exact wording but see it every time I get an update. Turned on the computer this morning and got the message "can't install, undoing changes". When it finally booted, whatever it tried to install was gone and I have no idea what it was.
    I have tried the troubleshooter many times as well as the "all in one" link above. That program runs it all and then some, but no help. If I had a clue as to what the problem is, I may be able to fix it it, but with no other info, I don't know where to look. The latest update to install and stay is KB4015217 and that was installed on 7/15, but it has been known to disappear during the next update.
    I may have to wipe the drive but I really dread the work having to re-install everything.[/QUOTE]

6. 2017/07/21
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

You might try performing a system refresh which will keep your data intact but will reinstall the operating system and will hopefully allow you to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 build.

Failing that, you may have to perform a clean install if a refresh does not work.

7. 2017/07/21
    lynn1102

Update: New update for 1607 available at the MS store. KB4025339
    I did download the new update for 1607. It's a big file, a bit over 1 gig. It downloaded fine and a message popped up asking if I wanted to install the update. I clicked yes and waited close to ten minutes. A message popped that said install complete, restart your computer. I hit restart and got the message about updating and don't turn off you computer.
    After about 10 minutes, it rebooted and got the "installing updates, don't turn off you computer". Eventually it got to a zero percent level and stayed for a minute or two, then gave message "cannot install update, undoing changes" Another ten minutes of that message, then another reboot and back to desktop. Checked the install list and nothing new there.
    Back to square one.

Lynn

8. 2017/08/01
    lynn1102

I finally got tired of playing with these download failures. Yesterday I spent an exciting half day installing Windows on a new clean drive. Almost an hour for the install, then over an hour downloading updates, the over an hour installing the updates. I now have version 1703-5062 installed and working. I will say that I ran across some strange things during and after the install. I have worked on many computers in the past 30 years, but never saw some of this stuff. I could write 3 pages of what happened and didn't happened, but I won't. Everything seems to be working fine and am slowly getting stuff re-installed. It's been so long that the start function and search function didn't work, I'll have to learn how to use them again. I still have some adjustment to make. but things are looking up. Will mark as resolved.

9. 2017/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

10. 2017/08/02
    lynn1102

Sounds like fix one bug, create another - interesting read. I haven't had a virus attack/attempt for many months. Since the update, one day ago, I have had 3 attempts stopped by Avast, and about half a dozen e-mails tagged as suspicious.
    I am slowly getting files and programs transferred to the new drive. Going better than expected, Found stuff I forgot I had.
    What do you mean by AV - maybe I just need more coffee.

11. 2017/08/02
    lynn1102

I just realized that you probably mean anti-virus. I had been using Avast free for many years with good luck. I recently upgraded to the pro version due to all the new ransom junk floating around. Only thing I don't like about it is the auto renewal, which I already canceled.