1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Disk usage at 100 %

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jimbo0706, 2018/02/03.

1. 2018/02/03
    jimbo0706

jimbo0706 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

just with in the last week or so my laptop has been at 100 % disk usage I tried some fixes like turning off super fetch and windows search and it has not helped.. So was digging in the settings and turned off windows update and all is fine.. I don't like the idea of having to turn off windows update though.. Is there any thing else I can do ?

2. 2018/02/03
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do turn Windows Update back on.

Did you reboot?

Do you have Malwarebytes Premium installed? This last question is important because a recent update caused a lot of problems for many people. It was quickly fixed with yet another update. Make sure you are current.

How much free disk space do you have? What version of Windows? Did you disable automatic disk defragging? If so, enable it again. Did you dink with the page file settings? If so, change it back to the default and let Windows manage it.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/02/03
    jimbo0706

I did turn windows update back on rebooted and my disk usage went back up to 100% and styed there for about 45 min turned it off rebooted agine and it was back up to 100. when I checked to see if there was updates it said there was none... So I went back in turned update off rebooted and its fine. I don't want to leave it on and have my disk usage that high I cant do any thing with my laptop. I do not have Malwarebytes even on this pc. I have 511gb out of 578 gb on local disk and 352gb out of 352gb on the Data side.. Auto defrag is set to on once a week did not touch the paging file settings.. I have windows 10 home ver 1709

5. 2018/02/04
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

How did you do that in Windows 10 Home?

6. 2018/02/04
    jimbo0706

Lol
    Under system serveses then under Windows update then disable.

7. 2018/02/04
    jimbo0706

Attached Files:

8. 2018/02/04
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Okey, I just thought that I had missed a change between versions and that you actually could control WU through settings rather than by disabling the service.

9. 2018/02/04
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

It may not be Windows Update that is causing your problems. Windows Update shouldn't be running all the time. To really narrow down exactly what is causing the problem you might try the Resource Monitor;

Press Windows Key + S and enter resource. Select Resource Monitor from the list.
    1. When Resource Monitor opens, go to Disk tab.
    2. Sort the processes by number of Total bytes used.
    3. Locate the process that is using most of your hard drive resources. You can also check it if you want to see only process that are related to it.
    4. In Disk Activity section sort the processes by Total bytes used. After finding the problematic process, you can easily see which application is using it, so you can remove it or turn it off.

10. 2018/02/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Jim. Try Performing a Clean boot in Windows and see if the disk usage is still at 100% after you re-enable the Windows Update service but disable all other 3rd party startup programs.

11. 2018/02/06
    jimbo0706

ok i tracked down where a lot of my high disk usage is coming from.. Google Chrome.. Just realized it started happining about the same time i downloaded it..

12. 2018/02/07
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Chrome seems notorious for this. It does not always close processes when you close tabs or windows. It acts similar to a memory leak - that is, it does not release resources when no longer needed.

I don't use Chrome a lot as Pale Moon is my default processor. But Chrome is my secondary and I use to verify if a site is down, or is unreachable or not rendering properly in general, or just in Pale Moon.

That resource usage issue caused me to create a "Chrome Taskkill" shortcut on my desktop that will forcibly close all Chrome sessions. You may want to do something similar. It works if Chrome locks up too.

• Right click on a blank space on your desktop and select New > Shortcut.
    • In the location text box, enter (or copy and paste - assuming your Windows is on C drive): C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /T /IM chrome.exe
    • Click Next
    • Name the shortcut (I used Chrome Taskkill)
    • Click Finish then move and park the shortcut where you like it for future use.
    Force closing any application like this should only be done when it is misbehaving.

13. 2018/02/07
    jimbo0706

Well it all went to heck this morning. Turned laptop on took a while to load and then I was getting notice after notice that all these serveses could not start. Could not click on anything it was so bad. I was finally able to get it set to clean boot. And even then disk usage was at 100% for some time..

14. 2018/02/07
    jholland1964

How old is this computer? The fact that so many services could not start sounds like either you turned off a major required service or some sort of system problem. How did you set up Clean Boot? That is a very simple process to do. Are these the steps you followed?

From Start, search for msconfig.
    Select System Configuration from the search results.
    On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
    On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
    On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
    Close Task Manager.
    On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

15. 2018/02/07
    jimbo0706

I only turned off windows search and superfetch.. the Laptop is just a little over 2 years old.. and the directions above is how i did clean boot..

16. 2018/02/07
    jholland1964

Go through the list here to be sure that you do have the correct recommended Windows Service Settings. Black Viper's Windows 10 Service Configurations