1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Dirty install of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dakota, 2013/05/06.

1. 2013/05/06
    Dakota

Dakota Well-Known Member Thread Starter

There is a way to re-install XP called "dirty install ". I used to use it a long time ago. My wife has an XP computer that is really messing up several things so I would like to use that install again. Only problem is, I have forgotten how to do it. I know you do click on repair at some time but not the first time is shows up i think. Please help. There has to be someone out there that remembers this.

2. 2013/05/06
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

The term most people use is "Repair Install ".

Boot from the WinXP CD (you may have to change a setting in your BIOS that allows you to boot from the CD). Do not choose the option to repair an XP installation using Recovery Console when prompted, choose the option to To set up Windows XP now press ENTER.

After more files have been copied, you'll get another selection screen where you should select the current XP installation, & the option To Repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

That'll start the repair install.

Arie,
    Dakota likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/05/14
    Dakota

Dakota Well-Known Member Thread Starter

thanks appreciate it