1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Digital vr analog sound for PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by savagcl, 2016/12/11.

1. 2016/12/11
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

I just got the Z906 Logitech 5.1 sound speakers. Works great with default speakers. Sounds great.
    I was wondering if digital output would be better, and what do i need to do to switch Digital sound?
    Current devices are: EA304wmi-4 (Nvidia) - ready but sounds horrible. Speakers - default device. Realtek Digital Output - ready.
    The bass box don't take the standard sound plugin jack, just bare wires that snapin.
    Would S\PDIF be better or TOSLINK (Haven't played with this one before).

thanks,
    clif

2. 2016/12/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I have an old Creative Labs 2.1 speaker system I still use, with in-built digital sound. I use it with a Soundblaster card with digital output. I prefer the analog sound, just sounds better to me. And in the end, it's always analog at the speaker anyway.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It is important to understand that sound is ALWAYS, with NO exception, analog. Period!

So as Tony says, what comes out of the speaker is analog.

The issue becomes during transport of the audio. If there are a bunch of junctions between the studio/sound stage and your ears, then converting to digital will preserve the quality better than if there are a bunch of analog to analog conversions along the way.

At the same time, sound quality is subjective. So in reality, you have to decide what "sounds" better to you! And in reality, only you can answer that.

Bill,
  5. 2016/12/12
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

Yes, finally figured that out. Seems like for a couple conversions for maybe(?) a little sound quality increase. I'll stick with analog, at least for the time being...

thanks for the info!

clif

6. 2016/12/20
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

For what it's worth, I purchased an $800.00 Denon receiver (in 2004) with a 5.1 speaker system connected to the audio / video gear in the living room, and I prefer routing pre-amplified sounds to the receiver via quality RCA analog patch cables instead of digital (fiber optic). Digital sounds good, but the analog signals get routed to a BBE ARS (similar to a graphic equalizer, but not the same thing) along the way to the receiver, and it allows me to redefine the lows & highs.

Obviously, you don't need an ARS (I was bit by the Hi-Fi bug years ago), but one thing I learned over time is that quality cables can increase the sound quality of a system. Heavier gauge speaker wires can help here. I paid 50 cents a foot for Monster speaker cable years ago, but these days I'm sure there are other brands that work just as well for maybe less.

7. 2016/12/21
    Bill

It is more accurate to say poor quality cables will degrade the sound quality, but your point is the same. Don't skimp on cables.

Frankly, I avoid the Monster brand. They may have turned around in recent years but my experience is poor quality and construction. The cable itself is good, but the assembly with the connectors, in particular the soldering is downright shoddy. It was not with just one or two cables, but several cases with several different types. And I have always thought they were way over priced - and that was not just because of quality issues.

Bill,
  8. 2016/12/21
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Didn't know that, Bill. Never had an issue with their cables, but it been at least 12 or so years ago since I bought any Monster wire. I was going suggest buying from Monoprice, but isn't that a spin-off of Monster?

9. 2016/12/21
    Bill

I think they are competitors.

Bill,