1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

digital slideshow to vhs tape

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jongru, 2003/08/17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/08/17
    jongru

jongru Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All,

I just got an ATI 7500 Graphics card and am trying to record a slideshow I made to a vhs analog recorder. I can cable from the video card to my tv and run it fine, but If I try to to the same thing to a vcr, nothing takes. I thought that if I get it on the tv, then I should be able to make a vhs tape of the same show.

Anyone know why I can't do this? I run windows 98se with 512 ram and an Athlon K-7 600 MHz cpu. Please help or advise...jongru

2. 2003/08/17
    conee

conee Inactive

It displays on the tv fine right? Then just have it display on the tv and have the vcr record what is going on the tv...i did the same a while ago with the japanese version of "the ring" (had a vcd version but no standalone dvd player), outputted "second monitor" to the tv, and then just recorded what was going on the tv with the vcr (record channel 4 for me). its kinda like when we used to do 2 vcrs to copy videotapes, just have one output to the tv, and have another one hooked up to the tv and recording channel three (which was the input/output channel), but instead in your case a computer is outputing the slideshow to the tv, and the vcr is recording the channel that its on (either channel three, four, or a line-in channel.)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/08/17
    jongru

Hi Connee,

Thank you for the reply. I already tried to do what you suggest and let me explain. I output the slideshow to my tv through the video in 1 or 2 RCA plugs on front and back. I then connected the cable wire from rf out to the rf in on the vcr. Tv shows exactly what is taking place on the slideshow with the audio and fairly good quality video. Just nothing on the vcr tape.

I read elsewhere on google that I have to render the slideshow in a video editing package for it to work. They mentioned VideoWave IV. I agree with you Connee, can you think of any other way to make this work? I am beginning to think that my ati graphics card is not installed properly....Any thoughts...jongru

5. 2003/08/18
    conee

conee Inactive

if i understand what you are saying, you are playing the slideshow on the tv using rca cables connecting from the video/audio out on your video card to the video/audio in on your tv. then you have an coaxial cable connecting the tv's rf out to your vcr's rf in. and then you are recording the thing right? first off there is no need to render your slideshow...if you are getting the slideshow to show up on your tv, then it's fine. rendering a slideshow is for people who just take pictures and audio and then using programs such as vegas video or adobe premier or videowave, they put it together and make it into an mpg or avi of some sorts. you don't need to do this as your slideshow is functioning perfectly fine right now.

at this point the only problem is with your vcr. since you are able to display the slideshow on your tv with no problem at all, and the only thing not working is the recording with your vcr, you have to take a look at your vcr. as i don't know what type of vcr you have, i can at the point only suggest general solutions. i would suggest that you try to find your user's manual and see what channel on your vcr is specifically for video/audio in. my vcr has a channel set up specifically for incoming video and audio, whether it be from the s-video input or the rca input. that channel on my vcr is Line-In, and if i switch the channel to record as Line-In on my vcr, it will only record what is coming in on the either the s-video or rca input, whichever is being used. see if you can find something similar for your vcr.

6. 2003/08/18
    jongru

Hi Conee,

Thank you, and I agree with you in that if I can cable the output of the ATI card to my tv input jacks and see the slideshow on the tv, I should theoretically be able to record that signal to the vcr.

One thing though, I can only see the slideshow on the tx if I use the composite (Yellow) cable from the card and the White audio cable attached to a set of video 2 input connectors on the front of the tv set. There is a set of connectores yellow and white on the back of the tv also, called video 1 input. On my vcr I have a set of yellow and white audio and video in and out connectors.

Still can't get anything on the video tape. I know the vcr is working, as when I put a vcr tape in that is good, the tv and vcr work fine. Wonder what is going on?? Would appreciate us talking and doing till I get it. I didn't think I had to render as the tv works cabled as above...thanks, jongru

7. 2003/08/18
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

With the rca cables go FROM white/yellow (out) computer TO white/yellow (in) on VCR. Next TV must be on channel 3 or 4 (you should know which setting), last the VCR must be MODE....(?)... AV, Aux, Aux 1, Axu2, Input... (?) any phrase which would be appropiate to receive / accept signal from computer card. You SHOULD be able to view this assuming you have your normal wired connection from VCR to TV. Once you have this, put in tape, hit record on VCR. Be sure you toggle TV/VCR button to allow VCR view to TV..... this toggle will NOT prevent the recording, but will prevent you from seeing on TV what the VCR is recording.

TIP----- To find the "Aux Input" on some VCR's do this......
    With VCR remote, change VCR channel tuner to Channel (1).
    Next with the same remote, use "Channel Down" button, click once... does it display any of the AV, AUX settings. Be careful, some VCR's have AV1 and AV2... then you must be wired into the correct one.

8. 2003/08/18
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

I am going from the ati 7500 to the video input on my sony trinitron. I see the slideshow in video and has good quality. I have another set of connectors on the back of the sony called video 1 for video in and video out. On the fron I have a set exactly like the video 1 but they are called video 2. I see the slideshow using the video 2 plugs.

Is it possible the other video jacks on the back should go to my vcr??? jongru...

9. 2003/08/18

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi jongru

The simplest connections....
    Computer output connecting to VCR input.
    VCR output connecting to TV using your normal everyday connection from VCR to TV.

Joingru says.. "I am going from the ati 7500 to the video input on my sony trinitron" ......
    "I see the slideshow using the video 2 plugs. "

My suspicion is "sony trinitron" is your TV.
    If this is the case, move the rca cables from the "sony trinitron" TV jacks and plug them into the equivalent "input jacks" on the VCR. Don't worry about special connections to the TV for this project. The normal connection from the
    (VCR out)-to-(TV in) will work fine. This is the same route used for your VCR to display a normal VCR movie to your TV.
    If I'm MISunderstanding your connections, Please refer to each component by... Audio card Output, VCR Input and TV. Please leave model names out, unless required.

Last edited: 2003/08/18
  10. 2003/08/18
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

Yes I am using a Trinitron, How did you know that. I still can't get the thing to work.

Here is my step by step connections. From the Graphics card, I have a composite Yellow video cable I have an audio output cable to my sound card and then a line out from the sound card to make up the audio into the tv.

Next my trinitron has yellow and white video and audio input2 on the front, and input 1 on the back.

My vcr is a memorex that normally connects to a coax cable connector in then below that connector is the rf connector out to the tv cable in. The only normal connections Dennis, is the cable in to the vcr, cable out from the vcr to the tv in.....nothing else. Sorry that I am not able to be more specific, but if you have an email and need a picture of my hookup or particular pic of units let me know.

As mentioned before, I get good visual and audio of the slideshow when I cable from the graphics card to the trinitron video in jacks on the front of the tv. Why two sets of video/audio inputs on the tv set????jongru

11. 2003/08/18

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi jonru

10:00 pm, got to p/u son from football practice.
    Will give it one more try tonight via forum before we revert to email.
    Later.

12. 2003/08/19

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi jonru

1st Step
    Put your favorite taped movie in VCR. Push all your normal buttons so you SEE movie playing on TV. Now push stop on VCR so the movie is no longer playing. Do NOT push power off to VCR. This could change settings. You are now done with VCR - to - TV connections.

2nd Step
    Now see the rca cables that have been sending a successful signal from computer to TV. Do NOT touch connection at computer. Disconnect other end of cable at the TV jacks only. Re-insert them into VCR input jacks.

3rd Step
    Start sending the signal from the computer the same successful way you were when you seen it on the TV.

FINAL step
    With the VCR remote, push 01. This should move the VCR tuner to channel 1. Now with the same remote, push the channel "down" button. Do you see your slide show? If NO, push down again? If NO, repeat one more time. If still NO, look for a "input" button on same remote, push it, repeat upto three times. You SHOULD have seen your slideshow with one of these selections. When you DO get the picture, just enjoy for awhile, it's been a long journey. When your ready to record, do the following...
    Stop Slideshow.
    Reload to beginning of "Slideshow ", but do NOT push start / play.
    Eject movie video tape from VCR.
    Insert new unrecorded tape in VCR.
    Push Record on VCR.
    Push start on "Slideshow "
    You now should be recording Slideshow signal from your computer onto your tape while watching it on your TV.
    When "Slideshow" is finished, push stop on VCR.
    Re-wind tape, push play.
    If successful, should see "Slideshow" on TV.

13. 2003/08/19
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

Thank you so much for all your help. I will try this tomorrow and report back. I am still confused why I just can't record direct from the computer to the recorder. But I like the possibilities of this solution, so thank you and I promise I will try this procedure and report back. Have a good nite...jongru

14. 2003/08/19

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

The TV is not required for the recording process. The TV allows you to "see and hear" what the VCR is recording. Until you know where the cables go, which buttons to press and when, the TV view will be very helpfull. Once you master the process, the computer and VCR are all thats required to create any recording.

15. 2003/08/19
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I followed your advice with a different vcr and used the instructions line by line. Lo, it worked. I am having a blast....will get very good on this as I am really quite good with the multi media stuff.

Again thank you and man God Bless your interest in helping others.....jongru...

16. 2003/08/19

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

A long journey with a happy ending is all we ask... enjoy your re-discovered talents.

17. 2003/08/19
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

I might like to ask you for any inputs on maximizing the quality and settings to get the best quality picture on tvs. I am so used to the super high resolutions of computer screens. I bet there is a ton of info on the output parameters of tv pictures. Please advise if this is in your area of expertise.

Anyone else too !!! Again thanks for your inputs....jongru

18. 2003/08/19

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi jongru

Yes, I'm getting alittle out of my area of expertise...
    My assumption, the quickest, shortest and best (?) would be to maintain "digital" format. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. As "Slideshow" sits in the computer is it not in a digital format? If not, would there not be 3rd party programs to accomplish this. Now simply burn it to CD. From here... we would play it through a digital CD player (is that not the standard?) and last.. a digital TV as our final output display.

19. 2003/08/20
    jongru

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the response. I think I will be browsing the internet for solutions to creating higher quality videotapes. I think the answer to this is converting the digital still to a movie format through Ulead or similar, doing all the enhancements for NTSC output to the vcr. I think I am stuck with the parameters of the digital slideshow programs I am using. They are acceptable in lieu of my prior problems of seeing nothing, but after the high quality of monitor resolution of my slideshow, I am shocked at the lack of clarity on the tv screen.

I am sure I will find a solution prior to sending the digital slideshow to the vcr. Keep me posted on any insights....Thanks, jongru...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.