1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Digital adapter question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bucksone, 2015/10/09.

1. 2015/10/09
    Bucksone

Bucksone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This isn't a computer question, but I know there are a bunch of smart people on this site and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.

I have an older tv in the bedroom. When everything went digital a few years ago, the cable company provided me with a digital adapter. It worked fine until last week.The tv is kept on channel 3 and I use the digital adapter and its remote to change channels. Last week I was unable to change channels. I put fresh batteries in the remote but it didn't help. I called the cable company's tech support. She was unable to help and told me to return the remote to the local office and get another. I did so and also returned the digital adapter to swap out as well, as I thought the new adapter might not work with the old remote. (There were instructions on how to sync up the remote with different TV's to turn it on and off and change the volume, but nothing on syncing it up with an adapter.) They took it all back and gave me a box with a new remote and adapter. I hooked it up and per the instructions called the cable company's tech support so they could send out a signal to activate the adapter. It didn't work. I hooked up my daughter's new tv directly to the cable to make sure the cable was ok, and it worked fine. I connected a dvd player to my tv to make sure the tv still worked and that worked fine. It just doesn't seem to work with the digital adapter.
    I'm hoping for suggestions on what else I might try to resolve this. I'd hate to have the cable company send out a repair person it it's something simple I should have done myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 2015/10/09
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Look on the back of the adapter, where the connectors are, for a little switch that selects the channel, usually 3 or 4. Make sure the channels on the TV and adapter match. If 3 isn't working, try 4.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/09
    Bucksone

Doesn't work with channel 4 either. Channel 4 is a local tv station here, so we always have to use channel 3 for these things.

5. 2015/10/09
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

It can take 20 minutes or longer for the adapter to activate, after the signal light on the front stops blinking and goes solid.

Disconnect the power plug for 20 seconds, then plug it in and give it an hour.

That's about all I can suggest. Had the same trouble with mine, then it suddenly began working.

6. 2015/10/09
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Can you give us the model and brand of the adapter?

I have a TWC (Time-Warner Cable) adapter made by Cisco.

7. 2015/10/13
    Bucksone

I got back on the phone with the cable company's tech support. Once he got me to sync up the new remote with my tv, he had me change to channel 20. Suddenly it started working! He said something about them using channel 20 to resolve problems like mine. I don't understand it, but it works now so all is well.

Thanks for all suggestions.

8. 2015/10/14
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Good to know your problem is resolved. Thanks for the update.

9. 2015/10/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Channel 20?

That *is* unusual.

Glad you got things working again.