1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Desktop not showing in windows explorer]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sussertown, 2016/06/01.

1. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

sussertown Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Something happened to the Desktop properties. I was browsing to place a file on the desktop and it's not in the offerings. It does show up in one place: beneath the quick access tree. I modified my unallocated space according to instructions from an internet or Microsoft tech. Took out the Active attribute. It's unallocated and now was given a drive letter by the system. Is this where I went wrong?

Attached Files:

2. 2016/06/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Is it just me or are all of those picture the same?

What happens when you click on the Desktop option in the screenshot?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

Earlier I wrote a post regarding a change in my Desktop folder properties. I just noticed that I have two download folders, one is actually the desktop. This happened once in Windows 7 as well. I would like to change this back to Desktop.

Attached Files:

5. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

First of all the stupid applet does not inform the user that the file has been sucessfully uploaded. Hence, the multiple versions of the jpeg.
    When I click on Desktop, I see the desktop. Same with Downloads (as per second post)

6. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

I am mistaken. both download folders now show the desktop and this is what happened once before on my win 7 os.

7. 2016/06/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi sussertown. What browser are you primarily using to download files on your system? Try removing the extra Download folder as you should only have one folder called Downloads.

8. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

I'm afraid that will only exacerbate things. I use Chrome. This occurred suddenly and one of the folders should be linked to downloads and the other to desktop. If I delete either folder (both showing the desktop) then I'll be missing the downloads folder.

9. 2016/06/01
    Evan Omo

You have two download folders so you should be able to remove the Download folder that has the rectangle icon. The Download folder with the down arrow is the default one that you don't want to remove.

10. 2016/06/01
    sussertown

I just remembered I changed the downloads folder from the browsers to be the desktop. Would this account for all the folders pointing to the desktop as well as two downloads folders next to each other? I would have thought I would still have an empty downloads system folder.

11. 2016/06/01
    Evan Omo

To verify what download folders you have, click Start< Computer and navigate to C:\Users\Your user name and look for the Download folders. If you see two folders named Downloads then delete the one with the rectangle icon.

Your user profile should look like this screenshot below.

User folders.png