1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Desktop lag when playing games in windowed mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mikenowo, 2011/12/20.

1. 2011/12/20
    mikenowo

mikenowo Inactive Thread Starter

I didn't have this problem in Windows XP or Vista but in Windows 7 whenever I set ANY game to windowed mode then try to do anything on the desktop there is major lag there. I tried in several different games (WoW, Runes of Magic, Lotro..), when I set them to windowed mode then open any app, ex: Internet Explorer, Word, Notepad, Firefox... just pointing to a menu option up top in any of these takes time for the menu to appear. Even bringing the taskbar up (I have it auto-hide) takes longer than usual (usually instant). BUT if I go into any game and set it to fullscreen the problem disappears, any apps I go into on the desktop no longer lag. Is there a setting in the display options in Windows 7 that I need to change to have windowed games and desktop work fluidly together? As I said, this was never a problem in Vista or XP.

2. 2011/12/20
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/20
    mikenowo

Ok, I added my system specs to my profile.

5. 2011/12/21
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, I don't have much to say... I never play games (waste of my time IMHO), but I'd offer two observations:

You HD is 5,400 RPM which is terribly slow.

I would try updating the video drivers.

Arie,
  6. 2011/12/21
    mikenowo

Well, having worked in the computer business for over 25 years in various capacities I can easily state that computers themselves are a complete waste of time but we live with it :p
    But not ever playing games on one is like driving a convertible sports car at the speed limit with the top up all the time :D You have to let your hair down, life's too short.

In any case, I just bought the computer and updated all the drivers. Also, I've run these same games in windowed mode on a slower/older computer on Vista and XP with no issues regarding apps slowing up on the desktop, that's why I'm leaning toward it being a configuration issue in windows 7 with desktop not synching with the games' resolution wise or elsewhere. I'm running the games at the same resolution as the desktop so I didn't think there would be a problem. Again when I run the games in fullscreen the apps on the desktop run fine, only when I switch the games to windowed do they lag on the desktop, again making me think there is an overlay or resolution synch problem/issue.

7. 2011/12/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

mikenowo likes this.
  8. 2011/12/21
    mikenowo

Yup, that's the ticket! When I choose a non-aero desktop theme the problem disappears. So seems the drawing of transparent/fancy windows themes is what slows down the desktop apps when I overlay them on top of the game window. I knew it had nothing to do with drivers or speed. Never does in specific cases like these. Thanks for the info!

9. 2011/12/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :)

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

10. 2011/12/21
    mikenowo

Ok I mentioned the solution briefly, but to be more specific:

The issue was that 'Aero' themes for the desktop were causing the problem (they seem to take longer to render drop down menus etc. for a window, in my case having one window over another made it even worse). To choose a NON-Aero theme I did the following:

-Right click a blank area on the desktop and choose 'Personalize' from the menu
    -Click on a NON-Aero theme under the "Basic and High Contrast Themes" section

The new non-Aero theme was now being used to display windows and the desktop in a different format that isn't as graphic intensive. It's not as pretty with no transparency ability etc, but more functional.

Of course to go back to an Aero theme use the same steps