1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Description of the exFAT file system driver update package

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Steve R Jones, 2009/03/12.

1. 2009/03/12
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

This looks interesting:

2. 2009/03/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Hmmm interesting.

Arie,
  5. 2009/03/14
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Do you think exFAT is strictly for storage media or will work for a system or boot drive?

Why I asked, I formatted a drive to exFAT and then cloned my XP system to it. It was unbootable and XP saw the drive as raw and unformatted after the cloning, yet recognized and used it properly prior.

6. 2009/03/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, obviously if you don't have the exFAT driver slipstreamed into your WinXP CD, or some ability to load it through the setup process, XP setup will be unable to see the exFAT formatted drive.

Arie,
  7. 2009/03/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

That's not what I was referring to but since you bring it up, why wouldn't the XP install be able to see the exFAT formatted drive? Perhaps I misread but I thought it said the exFAT was designed for flash drives and would be compatible with all XP systems. That would imply that the drivers are only needed for creating the exFAT storage system and not for reading it. I'll check that out further.

UPDATE. It's necessary to have the exFAT system files installed on your computer to be able to recognize a flash drive created using the exFAT system. Bummer. :( That would likely prohibit you from using your flash drive for transporting pics to your local photo kiosk.

Another anomaly I noticed, you can't format exFAT from the Disk Manager, instead you have to right-click the drive and choose "Format" to get the exFAT option. Strange that it isn't fully integrated but it's no big deal - just wanted to mention it in passing.

Last edited: 2009/03/18