1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Demise of W7 get ready

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2015/01/08.

1. 2015/01/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

2. 2015/01/08
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

We may all be dead of old age by then. :) It will be 11 years old by then.

Win7 systems should no longer receive updates of any kind after January 2020

Last edited: 2015/01/08

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/01/09
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2015/01/09
    retiredlearner

I think the reminder and warnings about compatibility are well advised - gives you 5 years and 4 days from today to prepare.
    I was surprised to read that Susan Bradley has purchased new comps (W8.1's) and had downgraded to W7 for office use and then realized that they may need to be upgraded. They weren't using W8.1 in the office at all.
    The next jump may be from W7 to W12 or 13! Neil.

6. 2015/01/09
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Shoot, my new 7 system is less than two years old, and now I have to think about upgrading already. Won't happen anytime soon, and I seriously doubt I will install version 8 at all.

The biggest thing that bothers me, though, is hardware compatibility. According to Windows Upgrade, technically, I could run 7 on the old single-core XP machine with a few new parts, but where would that get me? Probably a very slow machine at best.

Now, I have a quad-core system with much better graphics RAM, but I am concerned that even, that, may not be enough for a future Windows system to run on. Woe is me.

Course, quality machines are getting cheaper by the day, so my point may be mute in the future.

7. 2015/01/09
    retiredlearner

I run a HDD with W10 Preview with current comp James. I didn't have to change/add anything so I'm hoping that the transition to W10 will be smooth and costless. ;)
    By 2020 that will be another story. :eek: Neil.

8. 2015/01/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I'm using a 10 year old Dell pc with XP as I type... It does everything I need to do and it does it just fine.

muddyfox likes this.
  9. 2015/01/10
    SpywareDr

10. 2015/01/10
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I thought posting on the web with XP was taboo.

11. 2015/01/10
    SpywareDr

12. 2015/01/13
    sniper9228

sniper9228 Well-Known Member

As Windows 10 approaches, Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support for the ageing but still popular Windows 7.

Unlucky for some: it's 13 January 2015, and that means the end of free support for Windows 7.

Happily that doesn't mean your computer is going to automatically break or stop working, but it does mean Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support if you have problems with your Windows 7 software from this point on. No new features will be added either.

Microsoft is keen to move users onto Windows 8 instead -- to find out more, check out our how-tos, troubleshooting, news and reviews of Windows 8. Alternatively, you can wait for Windows 10 later this year.

Windows 7 was released in 2009. It sold over 100 million copies in six months and remains hugely popular. More stable than predecessor Windows Vista and more familiar than its radically redesigned successor Windows 8, version 7 is still estimated to be running half of the world's PCs.

As of today Windows 7 has moved from mainstream support -- free help for everyone -- to extended support, which means Microsoft will charge for help with the software. That will end in 2020, when Microsoft turns out the light on Windows 7 for good.

If you're worried about security, Microsoft will continue to patch security issues, so if you do stick with Windows 7 your computer shouldn't suddenly become vulnerable to hackers targeting the software.

The next generation of Microsoft's venerable operating system is Windows 10 -- they're skipping 9, for some reason -- which is due in the second half of this year. Microsoft is set to make an announcement about Windows 10 a week from now on 21 January, so stick with us to find out what Gates' mates have up their sleeves. In the meantime, check out our video for an early look at the next generation of Windows:

As of today Windows 7 has moved from mainstream support -- free help for everyone -- to extended support, which means Microsoft will charge for help with the software. That will end in 2020, when Microsoft turns out the light on Windows 7 for good.

If you're worried about security, Microsoft will continue to patch security issues, so if you do stick with Windows 7 your computer shouldn't suddenly become vulnerable to hackers targeting the software.

The next generation of Microsoft's venerable operating system is Windows 10 -- they're skipping 9, for some reason -- which is due in the second half of this year. Microsoft is set to make an announcement about Windows 10 a week from now on 21 January, so stick with us to find out what Gates' mates have up their sleeves. In the meantime, check out our video for an early look at the next generation of Windows:

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-7-support-ends-today/