1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dell XPS 400 will no longer recognize Keyboard or mouse

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by srl746, 2007/10/08.

1. 2007/10/08
    srl746

srl746 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My daughter has a Dell XPS 400 that used to have a wire-less Keyboard and mouse connected via USB. However, trying to boot with a new USB Keyboard and mouse is unsuccessful. The "New Hardware Found" messages appear, but the keyboard and mouse are inoperable, so no selection can be made (for driver disk, etc), and the computer will not respond to anything from the keyboard or mouse. Being a Dell, there are no PS/2 ports for Keyboard and mouse, so that option is not available. A second USB mouse was tried, but it also does not work, although there is power to the mouse (based on the red LED), and the keyboard shows the "num lock" lite on. The computer was moved several hundred miles recently, but was in its original packing material, and well cushioned. The BIOS is apparently set to boot HDD first, as putting a bootable CD in the drive does not help. The machine has (I think) 8 USB ports, but none appear to work, and I cannot get into the BIOS without the keyboard. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. 2007/10/08
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Ah, for the marvel of modern technology - isn't it wonderful? No PS2 connectors and your USB mouse and keyboard won't work. Look on the bright side - at least this will keep your daughter away from any questionable web sites. No, no - just kidding.

It would be helpful if we knew what she used to have in the keyboard and mouse department and what her "new" keyboard and mouse are. Is the new hardware wireless or wired? Do you still have the "old" hardware? Does it work on another machine? Does the new mouse and keyboard work on another machine? Did this problem happen the first time you unpacked the "moved" machine and tried the new keyboard and mouse or did you buy a new keyboard and mouse because the "old" one wouldn't work the first time you unpacked the "moved" machine. Did the "old" mouse and keyboard work for a while after the "moved" machine was unpacked? What other devices do you have connected to this machine and how are they connected (port-wise)?

First thing you want to do is disconnect any and all peripherals. Then try booting again with your new USB keyboard and USB mouse having been connected beforehand from a power off state. Unless you have some kind of solar powered laser mouse and keyboard with nuclear power backup, no drivers should be required. If you are prompted again for driver installation with the three options, then you may have to simplify things and buy the cheapest wired USB mouse and wired USB keyboard you can find. Then try this again.

If still no joy, boot up with no mouse or keyboard connected and then connect them (one at a time with mouse being first) after your successful boot or in the case of a multi-user system, when you hit the log on screen. You should also try using different USB ports (eight options to test with the mouse and if successful, seven for the keyboard unless your new rig is wireless).

If still no joy, you could opt to purchase the exact same wireless mouse and keyboard she used to have which should require no new drivers.

And, if still no joy - its time to call Dell and plead your case.

Note: At first blush, it would appear that your USB ports are working because you are getting a keyboard numlock light and the mouse optics are working. You should be able to plug in a USB flash drive and see if it is detected properly for confirmation that the USB ports are working. I would also suggest that you use the USB ports that are mounted on the motherboard (those on the back of the machine) rather than the ones that are wired to the motherboard (those on the front or side of the machine).

Good Luck.
    ;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/10/08
    srl746

New Keyboard and mouse are "wired "

Rockstar,

Thanks for the tips.... the new Keyboard and mouse are "wired" USB, and came from a newer Dell machine. The "old" Keyboard and mouse are wireless and are about 300 miles away... (ugh). I will try your suggestions, and I do have a spare "wired" mouse to try. I would think XP/Pro SP2 would not be quite so "dumb ".... or maybe it is just "smarter" than I am (grin).

Additional information is that their are two HDD's (10K RPM Raptors in a RAID-0 (I think) configuration... so I am concerned about maintaining the data). Thanks for your help.

If you have additional thoughts, those would be appreciated too.

Steve

5. 2007/10/08
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Try holding down a key on the keyboard from startup, that may throw you to the BIOS with a keyboard error (hopefully it will work there or the BIOS may see that it is not the same keyboard).

Matt

6. 2007/10/09
    srl746

I can get into the BIOS Settings, but that is it ...

I was able to get into the BIOS with the keyboard attached. I tried every combination of settings with the USB Controller that was available. Once Windows boots, it "Finds New Hardware" for both the mouse and the keyboard with every combination of mouse (only) keyboard (only), and mouse plus keyboard for the 8 USB ports. No dice, the keyboard and mouse are not operative. I tried a known good mouse in all the ports with the same result. I disconnected every peripheral in the box, leaving just the video card and hard-drives attached. Cannot seem to get past this issue.

From my perspective, I would re-install the OS and move on, but my daughter will loose a lot of photos and music, and I will be in the "dog house ".

I would even pull the HDDs and put them in another machine (to pull off the files) if it were not for the RAID config. I am working on getting ahold of the "previous" keyboard and mouse combination. Wish me luck. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. 2007/10/10
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Try going into Safe Mode, tap the F8 key rapidly as the Dell startup screen finishes. I expect that special drivers are installed for the previous mouse and keyboard. In Safe Mode, look through the list in Add/Remove Programs for something related to those devices. Go to Device Manager and highlight the mouse and keyboard and uninstall them.

If that does not work, go back to safe mode and uninstall anything listed as a "controller" under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

AND :)
    You shouldn't need to reformat, just do an "over the top" reinstall of Windows. When you boot to the Windows CD, you will be offered to repair the current installation of Windows after you do agree to the Eula. A repair/reinstall will install fresh drivers.

Matt