1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Define error code in win 7 backup?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Steve_S, 2009/11/09.

1. 2009/11/09
    Steve_S

Steve_S Inactive Thread Starter

Stable new box system running Home Premium 64 bit

Win 7 Backup suddenly started producing:

Error code: 0x81000033 and thus stops running after about 30% of the BU. Tried different drives and setting but still no luck.

What does it mean and the fix?

The only thing new is the install of Acronis Back up which is dandy but I don't think this plays a role. Plenty of free space on drives, latest drivers, all media tested, updates are current.

Thanks in advance

2. 2009/11/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Steve,

Any errors listed in Event Viewer?

To open Event Viewer, go to Start and type eventvwr.msc in the search box o the Start Menu & hit Enter.

Check your Application and System logs under Windows Logs for errors.

You can double click on any error for more details, and there is also a button to copy the error to your clipboard for easy copying & pasting.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/09
    Steve_S

thanks...stumped

Thanks Arie,

Found it and it says:

The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup skipped backing up system image because one of the critical volumes is not having enough free space. Free up some space by deleting unnecessary files and try again. (0x81000033).

The above makes no sence since Win BU is displaying proper figures on the destination drive? The BU is about 100 GB and the destination drive (another logical device) has about 900 GB free space.

A hunch...Acronis creates a Secure Zone is a secure partition that enables keeping backup archives on a managed machine disk space and therefore recovery of a disk to the same disk where the backup resides.

This is located on the drive I'm tryinmg to back up.

I'm stumped?

5. 2009/11/10
    Arie

I don't have much to go on either....

0x810001* errors are normally reserved for the shadow copy service, but I can't find any reference to a 0x8100003* error.

Personally I would remove Acronis & see if that solves the error. If it does, then contact either Acronis or Microsoft support.

Now the error you see in Event Viewer... What is listed under Source:?

Arie,
  6. 2009/11/10
    Steve_S

Thanks,

Source is WindowsBackup. Good idea. I can run the Win Backup via Computer > Tools > Backup except enabling the System option and it wont run.

7. 2009/11/10
    Arie

Let us know if removing Acronis works.

Arie,
  8. 2009/11/19
    Steve_S

RESOLVED

Acronis support and their Forums didn't help me so I reverted to trial and error.

Acronis conflicts with the Win 7 System backup. As per:

When installed, Acronis True Image Home creates a new device in the Device Manager list (Control Panel System Hardware Device Manager Acronis Devices Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer). Do not disable or uninstall this device, as it is necessary for connecting image archives as virtual disks (see Exploring archives and mounting images.

I believe this is the culprit.

Please don't disable this device unless you enjoy doing a system recovery. Even though it's great practice.

BTW, it's not a big deal in a larger sence since Acronis is a better solution and a zillon times faster and I can vouch for the fact that the recovery CDs it generates do work rather quickly once you figure out what goes where.

HTH

9. 2009/11/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Thanks for the update.