1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Defender updates will not install

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by desertbluesman, 2015/07/20.

1. 2015/07/20
    desertbluesman

desertbluesman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi, Windows 8.1, I am using Avast free and like it, is this the reason Defender updates will not install? Windows update keeps trying to install different versions of a Defender update. I just checked and defender is turned off. I guess because I installed Avast on the first day of use on this computer.

Any way to get update to stop trying to install updates? I keep hiding them but another version pops up every day or so.

Thanks

2. 2015/07/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi desertbluesman, You answered your own question. Defender is part of the OS (W8.1) and will be provided with Security Patches and Virus updates as they become available.
    I like Avast too, but only use it on my XP comp. I have used MSE/Defender for quite some time now (Vista/W7/W8.1/W10) and found it works extremely well in the background and is not a "Resource Hog" as a lot of other AV programs are.
    I changed when I got sick and tired of the "splash" screen ads from other brands of AV continually popping up in whatever I was doing.
    You will only be able to hide the updates or install them. You may have to disable Avast or set it to allow Defender updates.
    Have you actually tried Defender as your AV system?
    I'd give it a go - you might be surprised how smoothly it operates.
    Security in W8.1 is far better than in the past and as Defender is designed to operate within the OS I have had no problems and currently I'm working with W10 and Defender replying to your Thread. ;) Neil.

desertbluesman likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/20
    desertbluesman

Thanks Neil, I am hoping for a way to stop these defender updates from coming to my computer defender is disabled because of Avast I guess, I might try defender.

5. 2015/07/20
    desertbluesman

Why all of a sudden is it trying to update? I have had this computer for 8 months now and this only started the other day. my other 8 computer does not do this. Is there no way to stop this? It is trying to install every time I use the computer. I should probably set Update to manual I guess.

6. 2015/07/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi desertbluesman. Have you tried enabling Windows Defender to see if the updates install successfully for it?

You might not be able to enable Windows Defender while Avast is installed so do you want to stick with Avast as your primary antivirus solution or do you want to get Windows Defender working?

7. 2015/07/21
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Windows Defender will automatic disable itself when you install another anti-malware solution so I don't know why you are suddenly getting updates for it.

A couple possible reasons my be that Avast stopped working so you should check that. Another reason may be that these updates are to prepare your system for W10. In any case, I would allow the updates just so WD is updated.

Bill,
  8. 2015/07/21
    desertbluesman

Thanks guys, I am not sure I want to update to Windows 10 just yet, I am gonna be a late adopter just to see what folks think of it. Of course explaining that decision is because I am navigating around 8.1 with ease once I dug into it. Anyways I think my work around is gonna be OK I did a change on the Windows update to "check for updates but ask which to install ". I am sticking with Avast for now on both my 8.1 computers as I am with my XPSP3 old laptop which gets very little use since the new laptop purchase.

9. 2015/07/21
    desertbluesman

The Defender updates keep on coming. My Avast is updating as usual, and I can not activate the Defender app in Services, I tried but It will not respond. I will just deal with it like it is. Thanks for your replies. I can also just turn off updating altogether and activate it once a month which is OK with me.

And this is reason enough not to load 10 on my computer because you can not turn Windows update off. I ain't playin.

10. 2015/07/21
    Evan Omo

What is the error code that Windows Update generates when the Windows Defender updates don't install?

11. 2015/07/22
    desertbluesman

Thanks for your reply, I have not tried it lately, I tried it about 6 times. I tried activating Defender in Services by turning Avast off for 10 minutes, Then I tried it in the defender window. I can't recall the error codes.

I turned Windows update off, and will reactivate it every month, update manually, and then shut it off again. For this reason I will not upgrade to Windows 10 on either of my computers. I do not need any of it's new features. I do not use a smart phone and my tablet is an I-Pad, so I do not need Win 10 as I have 8.1 working smoothly on both my desktop and laptop. I uninstalled the update that put the Win 10 thing in my taskbar on both computers.

12. 2015/07/22
    desertbluesman

When is the monthly Windows update day usually

What is the day, I am thinking second Tuesday every month, I may be mistaken however.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 2015/07/22
  13. 2015/07/22
    Evan Omo

14. 2015/07/22
    desertbluesman

15. 2015/07/22
    Evan Omo

You might try Resetting Windows Update Components but if that does not work then you will have to just not install the Windows Defender updates since you have the program disabled anyway.

16. 2015/07/23
    desertbluesman

Thanks again Evan, I tried resetting the Windows Update components, no luck there, I just went and disabled Windows update, I will enable it every second Tuesday of the month for a day and disable it again after the update. My desktop computer a Dell (Vs the HP laptop) does not have this problem. It does not receive the defender updates although I am using the same Avast. Beats me what is up with that. Maybe time for a Linux trial as I am not a fan of the Macintosh OS (Which is how I started computing in the mid 1980's on a Mac Plus, then a Mac II)

17. 2015/07/23
    Evan Omo

Alright then. So do you have any other questions or do you think we can consider this issue resolved?

18. 2015/07/24
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I don't think that is a good idea. As noted in that Patch Tuesday link, "code fixes that are deemed to be critical may be sent at any time ". There are times when a "zero-day" exploit is discovered and Microsoft releases an "out-of-cycle" update to address it. Waiting two weeks could leave you exposed.

Adobe Flash is another reason to be concerned. Adobe Flash has a horrendous reputation for frequent security issues that if left unpatched, can leave your system vulnerable. Because of that, Microsoft integrated Flash into Windows 8.x so regular updates could be pushed out by Windows Update so users would remain current. So again, disabling it for 2 weeks could leave you exposed.

I recommend you totally uninstall Avast, reboot, run Windows Update to get fully current, reboot again then re-install Avast from scratch and see if that that does not correct your problem.