1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Cutting Leads For KVM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hawk22, 2017/03/01.

1. 2017/03/01
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi, just a quick and silly question.
    I have been using a Belkin 4 port KVM for the last 10 years or longer, I am in the process of setting up a new room for my comps & stuff.
    The old Belkin KVM is PS2 but I have stopped using the V part Video for many years, for Video I am using a 4 port HDMI switch so the V cable is just taking up space and creating clutter, can I simply cut them off and just keep using the keyboard and mouse leads.
    hawk22

2. 2017/03/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Can you just coil them up and wire tie them rather than cutting?
    When cutting, you risk creating a short.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/03/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You should be able to cut them but I agree with Tony, you could risk a short. I cannot imagine that any short would permanently damage anything, but it could disrupt continuity of a desired circuit.

Also, undoubtedly, there is shielding and grounding in that cable you wish to cut - shielding and grounding that may aid in preventing interference problems.

Frankly, after 10 years, the switch itself is likely showing some wear and the connectors some grime and possible corrosion. I would consider buying a new keyboard and mouse and getting rid of the KVM altogether. Alternatively, setup a remote access into the second computer.

Bill,
  5. 2017/03/03
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys, The Belkin Leads are actually 3 leads bundled together, so there would be no risk of shorting since both VGA connectors at each end are not in use and only hanging there 6-7 " from being taped together.
    I still like my KVM it does work A1 never had a miss I will give it a good blow out, it does connect 3 computers.

6. 2017/03/03
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My concern with shorting was shorting wires within the cable you cut - either by squishing them together during the cut, or by exposed ends coming into contact with something conductive.

If it were me, with my luck some time after I cut the connector, things would change I would find myself in need of that cable too.

Bill,