1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Creepy sounds coming from computer(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by basketcase, 2016/10/19.

1. 2016/10/19
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

We (my wife and I) share a home office. We work on separate desktop computers. Mine is running on Windows 10 Pro and hers is still on Windows 7 Pro.

One of our computers is making a "creaky door opening" sound. Unfortunately it happens randomly so I can't get into position to listen at a given moment to catch which computer or what triggers it.

So what's up with that? It reminds me of one of the old messaging deals (can't recall which one) that made a similar sound when a contact came on or went offline.

My wife is an accountant by trade and I stay off of her unit unless I'm doing maintenance, so I've not yet had an opportunity to shut down one and give a day to listening to the other, or vice-versa.

That said, I don't think either of us has any kind of messaging service running in the background.

How can I get to the bottom of the source for this strange sound business?

2. 2016/10/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Is it random but happens many times an hour - thus worth putting some effort into this?

Shutting down one pc sure seems like the logical thing to do. And you're sure it isn't coming through the speakers?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/10/19

Thanks. A process of elimination can certainly help.

It seems to happen after I log on early in the day, and I tend to awaken - clock or no clock, around 4:00 am each morning so I'm going to start by shutting down hers.

5. 2016/10/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you have spinning disc HDD's, run the makers diagnostic tool to see it you have a failing drive. Cooling fans can give out noises. Does it happen when the comp is under high load/use? Circuit voltage to fans may drop and cause fan/s to run slower and labour. Have you checked for Malware? Run Malwarebytes and see if there is something running in the background.

6. 2016/10/19

I have the premium subscription but just yesterday I did a manual run of Malwarebytes. No critters.

I'm going to start in the a.m. by shutting down the wife's unit and turning off my speakers to see if I get a noise.

7. 2016/10/21

Okay. Wife's computer turned off and no noises. The good news - it's not my unit. The bad news - she takes a dim view of my occasional technological mechanicking.

So now I'll have to find or create a chance to dig around on her desktop without disturbing billable time...

8. 2016/10/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you checked Control Panel > Programs and Features > to see if there is an unknown program listed. Have comps been cleaned? Dust and hairs can collect around fans and cause units to slow and become noisey. Low voltage from PSU is also another possible problem.

9. 2016/10/21
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi basketcase. To rule out any background programs causing this issue Perform a clean boot in Windows and see if the same behavior occurs.

You might take the opportunity to clean out the computer of any dust or debris using a can of compressed air and verify where exactly the sound is coming from as that will give you a better idea if its hardware or software related.

10. 2016/10/22

I literally just heard it a moment ago. My speakers are muted and lo and behold - "the door creaked. "

Yesterday I went through all of the Windows sounds on my wife's unit and no creaky door. I'm going to follow up with the several suggestions.

Regards -

11. 2016/10/29

Well I was wrong. The sound was the DVD unit in my computer.

With hers completely off and my speakers muted I heard it and was able to isolate it by pressing the button to open and shut the DVD player. It does not "creak" every time, but it does occasionally issue the sound. The issue had become the Halloween season joke of the home office.

Sooo ... it's back to a nice, undistracted state of boredom with the equipment.

12. 2016/10/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Thanks for letting us know that you found the culprit. :)