1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved CPU Temp Help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chaosmachine420, 2010/07/21.

1. 2010/07/21
    Chaosmachine420

Chaosmachine420 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What is the average temp of a cpu u should have with air cooled stock cpu fan. I would like to know Fahrenheit.

2. 2010/07/21
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Depends on the make of CPU - Intel tend to run hotter than AMD.

5. 2010/07/21
    Chaosmachine420

Well i have i7 860 and so far its getting up to about 63 c.

6. 2010/07/22
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Is it that high after you have been running programs or just idling at the desktop?

When you start up (when it is cold), go into the BIOS settings and check the temperature readouts there. Then again when you get to the desktop. I wouldn't like to see an Intel more than about 40*C at the desktop and I would prefer it to idle in the 20s.

You need a good set of drivers. One, for any temperature readout programs to get accurate information and secondly, and probably more importantly, to run the system correctly.

Intel now include a LOT of CPU monitoring and control programs. They should be included with the system drivers.

What fans do you have in the case? Do you need more? Cases now have an air intake directly over the CPU, so that fresh air can be drawn directly onto the heatsink, if yours doesn't have that you need to move the air through the case more rapidly, otherwise the heated air from all the components will just turn the case into an oven.

Did you install the CPU yourself and did it go smoothly?

Matt

7. 2010/07/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would say that was a little on the high side - I use the i7920, but not with the Intel stock cooler. Instead I use a Noctua NH-U12P, Special Edition for Intel Core i7 which has 2 x 120mm fans. Very effective and very quiet (screenshot) ....

Attached Files:

8. 2010/07/22
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Depending on the Watts of your i7860 CPU there are 2 versions for the LGA-1156 Socket that I assume you are using.
    82W normal temp 59ºC = 138ºF
    95W normal temp 61ºC = 142ºF
    therefore you are very close to it. Like Pete pointed out, you can improve on that by better cooling, and the Noctua (Austrian made) is the best.

9. 2010/07/23
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

For these CPU's Tj Max is set to 100ºC (212ºF). Tj is the socket contact interface with the CPU package.

Also, quoting Intel:

As posted by hawk22 above, there are two versions of the 860.

i7-860: Max TDP = 95W, Max Tcase: 72.7ºC (162.86ºF)
    i7-860S: Max TDP = 82W, Max Tcase: 68.9ºC (156.02ºF)

Tcase is measured at the geometric (top) center of the CPU case package.

Arie,
  10. 2010/07/24
    Chaosmachine420

Mine is the i7-860 95w

11. 2010/07/24
    Chaosmachine420

Its that high maybe a bit more when I'm running or installing programs also depending on the type too. I use Maya, 3ds Max, Solidworks and Mudbox right now primarily.

I have to look at the starting up part soon but it idles 40c or so when idle.

I don't remember getting drivers from Intel but all the drivers i got were from my motherboard and video card. What are the best CPU monitoring programs.

I have 1 top 200mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control 1 rear 120mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control 2 front 120mm special black TriCool blue LED fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs.

I had my friend help me install a lot of my components and he was taking a class to get certified to do this work. Yes it went smoothly.

Last edited: 2010/07/24
  12. 2010/07/24
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Are you concerned that the CPU may be overheating? Are you just interested in checking that temperatures are "normal" or do you think they may be overly high? Have you noticed problems that might possibly be heat related?

When I install a new CPU (or change it to a new motherboard), I go into the BIOS and check the temperature readout there (cold startup), then go into Windows let it idle at the desktop, restart and check again, then run some programs that utilise the CPU, restart and check again. If I use a temperature monitoring program/utility, I make sure it will correlate with the BIOS readout. I don't rely much on temperature monitoring programs, only use them as a guide. I have SIW (System Information for Windows) and Sisoft Sandra Lite and their readouts appear accurate on my system.

My m/b's BIOS has a temperature warning alarm and system shutdown temperature setting. I set those slightly lower than default.

I suggest you look up the Recommended (not Minimal) System Requirements of the major programs, that way you can get an idea of what processing power they will require and if you should reduce the number of any other programs running when you want to use them. Don't discount "normal" programs, one website I had open sent my CPU usage from 8-10% up to 25-30%.

Intel now have quite a lot of CPU monitoring/control/power-saving "utilities" (one they use is throttling). You should check what they offer for your motherboard and if you have them installed. Stating specific temperatures might not mean very much, if the control utilities are going "kick in" when the system starts to get stressed. The system fans are probably set for power-saving (low noise) at idle, so the temperature might not be minimal. For example, you might notice that during startup the CPU fan runs on "high ", then after Windows loads, the fans drop be to "low ", that is when the utility programs take control.

Matt

13. 2010/07/24
    Chaosmachine420

I'm concerned it is over heating and I wasn't able to tell totally if its in short bursts since I am running programs that take both graphic and processing power I think. I was making sure too that if mine was running too hot i would turn it off and see if i can move stuff around before its too late. This time since i reformatted my computer again it seems to be slower now which is odd because it was running smoothly before.
    I also have all the fans that has switches you manually go into the case to change the speed to high.

14. 2010/07/25
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Check the System Requirements of the programs. You might find them easily by putting the program's name (and version) into a websearch, along with the terms "system requirements ". Yes, now is the time to "test drive" the system and make sure it is working correctly. It is possible to get "burn-in" tests, but I would prefer not have my CPU cooked by a rogue testing program.

You say it is slow/slower, is that due to the hardware or software? Check in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del or right-clicking on the task bar) for CPU usage, what is the CPU usage after booting to the desktop and then again after running some programs? Check the temperature readouts as you go. [As I said, make sure they correlate with the the BIOS readouts.] Follow the memory (RAM) readouts in Task Manager. "Slow" is often related to memory. You could have a program that is utilising 100% CPU or has a memory leak.

Have you installed all the relevant drivers/software from the Asus disk? As I said, Intel are including a lot of utilities.

Is your CPU in the list of compatible processors for your motherboard? Could it need a BIOS upgrade to make it run correctly?

Matt

15. 2010/07/25
    Chaosmachine420

I cant find the bios temp thing u told me about i looked and then i found the thing that was slowing down my computer it was a svhost using all my memory but my cpu usage is under 20 percent. My cpu is compatble for my motherboard. I thought i installed all the drivers and everything i needed.

16. 2010/07/26
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Temperature readouts in the BIOS are under the heading Power -> Hardware Monitor. It is often easier to find something in the BIOS by reading in the manual (I downloaded yours from Asus).

Do you have the svchost problem under control?

The Intel utilities will be listed under Control Panel -> Programs and Features, but you can try installing them again if you think you missed some, they will just install over the top of the previous installation.

Have you checked in Device Manager that no errors are listed?

Matt

17. 2010/07/26
    Chaosmachine420

Ok i looked under it and it told me the temp its at right there and it says 45c for the CPU and 29c MB which idk what that means. I think i do i tired reinstalling windows again I cant be too sure if its not my copy of it since it is from my Cyberpower pc. I didnt look cuz im thinking it was a bad install on windows.

18. 2010/07/27
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

The Cyberpower disk will only be licensed for use on their computer (I expect, if it is like other OEM computer manufacturer's disks, like Dell, Compaq or Gateway). It will be modified to only have the basic drivers for their system and won't have other general drivers which you would need to run your system/motherboard correctly. I think you will find it is only licensed to install on the computer it was supplied with.

45*C in the BIOS still "seems" rather high, did you restart and check it or shutdown, let it cool and then check it?

Matt

19. 2010/07/27
    Chaosmachine420

So ill have to buy the Microsoft version vista instead and no i didnt do it from a cold start. I also saw the MB temp what is that one for.

20. 2010/07/27
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

They just describe it as the motherboard temperature. I don't know where exactly it would be situated, but it is to give you an indication of the temperature for the rest of the motherboard and mainly how well the cooling (air flow) is working. If both CPU and m/b were high it would indicate that there is probably not enough air flow through the case. I suppose it could also indicate that the proper chipset drivers might not be installed and the other chips (Northbridge, Southbridge, etc) are overheating.

I will see if I can give you some suggestions later today.

Matt

21. 2010/07/27
    Chaosmachine420

Ok and ill reboot my pc when its all cooled off to see the temp.