1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Copy To DVD says cannot connect to hardware access layer"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hanaleia, 2006/06/27.

1. 2006/06/27
    hanaleia

hanaleia Inactive Thread Starter

Sony DRM rootkit let several trojans attack my computer, though AVG caught them i temporarily lost both my cd and dvdroms in Dev Manager. As soon as I got rid of DRM rootkit I got back the use of both drives but now Copy To Dvd gives a message when I try to open the program "cannot connect to hardware access layer"
    1.I uninstalled Copy To Dvd(and 1Click DVD Copy as well as they both came in a bundle) reinstalled them,
    2. I found an updated version of Copy To Dvd and installed that,
    3. I tried to force a patin couffin install. But still get that message.
    4. I also flashed the roms to see if that would help but it didnt
    5. I even uninstalled the rom drivers and the IDE channel drivers but this did not help either
    XP Pro is my OS
    I have used Ewido spybot adaware and Xoftspy and windows defender and Hijackthis(with help) to check my computer I also used rootkit revealer and seem to be clean now
    AVG is my AV
    Zonelabs is my firewall
    The rom drives play games and videos just fine. (so far)I just cant burn any cd's or dvd's now. And I dont have any other burning software. I paid for Copy to DVD but they have not been very helpful, so I was thinking it might be a system file problem. Does anyone have any ideas? At all? Help Please! I am so frustrated.
    sorry for the long post
    thanks for any consideration
    hanaleia

2. 2006/07/08
    hanaleia

hanaleia Inactive Thread Starter

update

I used the sfc/scannow utility on my winxpprof disk and it resolved some other problems caused by the rootkit, unfortunatly not this one. I have also updated all the software in question and the patin couffin drivers in Device Manager still have a big yellow excalmation point on them. Noone has any thoughts or ideas on what to do about this? You would think 1Clickdvd Copy would be more helpful but I guess since they now have my money who cares. I cant believe I am the only person who ever had this problem. I feel so alone:eek:
    hanaleia

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/08
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello hanaleia and welcome to the Board :)

My suggestion is to do an OS repair: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You will need to re install MS updates afterwards.

Wait some more though, maybe someone has a specific fix for this.

I'm moving this thread to the XP section - you don't say, but I'm assuming the OS is XP.

Regards - Charles

5. 2006/07/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2006/07/08
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni