1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Contending with performance-killing flash ads in webmail?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by stelliger, 2016/01/03.

1. 2016/01/03
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Recently, obtrusive flash ads have become ever more the norm in webmail services such as Hotmail/Outlook and Yahoo Mail. The ads have been around for a long time but it seems they've taken the system resource hogging to a new level.

I find that even with a W7, quad-core laptop from 2014 and 4gb ram, there are times when using the web portal for email becomes almost unusable. The lag for each character to appear is significant, not to mention some characters not appearing at all. I don't see the same lag, for instance, in typing this post. The performance is normal.

Is there any way to prevent flash from crippling the performance of web pages?

For what it's worth, the CPU allocation isn't over the top during these lags. Only one thread of the four appears busy, but the overall load is around 30-some percent. So I'm not sure just what the bottleneck is.

2. 2016/01/04
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/29
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try adblock. I didn't know it could solve those annoying flash issues.

I don't mind them when they're innocuous but I find I can't even type emails, well, because of the slowdowns from flash. Some sites crawl, even on a quad-core system.