1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Constant "Problem Loading Page"/"Server Not Found" Messages

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by dd86, 2006/12/22.

1. 2006/12/22
    dd86

dd86 Inactive Thread Starter

So now that I have the media problem that I posted about earlier mostly fixed (still learning the tricks of that extension), I'm faced with a whole new problem.

I'm running Firefox 2.0, and I started noticing that I was having a lot of problems loading pages. My internet connection was fine because my AIM connection was always there, and there were certain sites that I COULD load even as others wouldn't.

So I went to TOOLS, CLEAR PRIVATE DATA, and I unchecked everything but Cache and I cleared the cache because I'd heard that was the equivalent of clearing Temporary Internet Files.

But now the problem persists and it's worse than before. I have to reload sites five or six times. It's not just that some sites work and some don't. This is an equal opportunity offender. Most of the time, I get "Server Not Found," but a connection timed out earlier today, too.

So have I messed up and cleared the wrong thing? Is there a way to fix it?

dd86,
  2. 2006/12/22
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I have set the check mark for Cache and Download Manager. Otherwise everything else is unchecked. I have had messages like you mention only when my Internet connection failed. Can you manage pk with IE?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/22
    dd86

Forgive me for being naive, but "manage pk "? I don't know what that means. :confused:

I'm working with IE right now to see if it's just my connection, in general, but everything is running smoothly there.

dd86,
  5. 2006/12/22
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

dd86,

With Firefox closed, open Windows Explorer and browse to your salted folder. Delete the XUL.mfl file. It will be rebuilt on opening Firefox. This is a cache of sorts, and grows slowly but surely. I delete mine on a regular basis.

Temporarily disable your Firewall, and see if that helps. If so then reconfigure the Firewall. Do the same for your AntiVirus program.

Try all the suggestions on this page:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

Next: try this test:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2526177

Let us know if this helps.

6. 2006/12/23
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

"pk" means a typo. Beats me how it got there. I meant to suggest a comparison with IE.

7. 2006/12/23
    dd86

Oh, a typo. That makes me feel better, as I was worried I was just really lost!

Thanks for the tips, Ramona, I'll try them out as soon as things start acting up again, and I'll report back any successes and failures.

dd86,