1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Connecting Nexus 7 To XP Machine

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by njb, 2013/01/14.

1. 2013/01/14
    njb

njb Inactive Thread Starter

HI,
    I am doing some research before picking up a Nexus 7. It seems that XP does not recognize a Nexus 7 and that additional drivers are needed. Google technical help sounds like they are useless. Has anyone had any luck connecting their Nexus 7 to their XP PC? If so, can you give me the steps that you have taken for success?
    Thanks in advance:)
    njb

njb,
  2. 2013/01/14
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/14
    njb

Thanks for the quick response, Bill:) Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have already read those two sites, which have mixed results for different people. I am looking for someone on this forum who may have streamlined the process.

njb,
  5. 2013/01/14
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What happened when you tried them? Sometimes what works for one doesn't work for another and the other way around.

6. 2013/01/14
    njb

I will not know until I actually pick up a unit, which was why I was doing the research first. I will most likely purchase one next week or soon after and try the easiest solution first. Whatever finally works, I will try too report back here to help others who are encountering the same glitch.

njb,
  7. 2013/01/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

8. 2013/01/17
    njb

njb,
  9. 2013/01/25
    1jay1

1jay1 Inactive

I do it all the time, my Nexus 7 opens up in my XP pro explore window !!

So what are you trying to do exactly??

10. 2013/01/25
    njb

Thanks for your reply, Jay - curious how you got it to work, since I have XP Pro as well. My goal is to not only see my Nexus tree file structure in Win Explorer but also have the ability to transfer files to/from my Nexus using my my PC. Unfortunately, I have failed miserably so far using above links and other blog & forum posts:
    -Edited C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf file: Was able to see Nexus in Windows Media Player but could not use as a file manager to copy files back & forth. Opened Windows explorer (with Windows Media Player opened) and could not see device. It shows up in Device Manage under Windows Portable Devices. Nexus Root Toolkit did not recognize it. Also tried enabling and disabling debugging (settings->about->build number, hit 7 times->back button->developer options).
    -Tried Using USB Connection As A Camera: Settings->Storage->Menu (upper right)->USB computer connection and was able to see device in Windows Explorer but it only showed 2 directories to access (for pictures)
    -Tried To Toggle PTP & MTP: PTP Icon showed up under My Computer but just had 2 directories, MTP did not show up at all in My Computer.
    -Tried Installing Drivers From Nexus Root Toolkit: No dice.
    -Tried Downloading ASUS XP Driver: Got a bunch of junk downloaded, found a legitimate driver link and had no installer included.

I am now looking at and trying out different Android File manager Apps to do it wirelessly instead of using USB connection. So far I have succeeded using X-plore, which Works from Nexus Side (but nor PC side) and shows a dual pane tree structure on Nexus. So I am halfway there. Now trying to find an app that I can use from the PC side as well (Airdroid is awkward & no tree view, WiFi Transfer will only allow 4 megs per file and cannot copy entire folders).

Hope that helps,
    njb

njb,
  11. 2013/01/27
    njb

I am posting this wireless workaround to help anyone else who has not had success connecting their Nexus to their XP PC via USB.

WORKAROUND USING WIRELESS CONNECTION
    I am using X-plore, which works from Nexus Side (but not PC side) and shows a dual pane tree structure on Nexus. I am using ES File Explorer from PC side, using CuteFTP client software on my PC (while ES File Exlorer is running on your Nexus). To get an FTP address so you can access the Nexus files from your computer FTP program:
    - In ES File Explorer, go to Settings->Remote Settings->check Remote Manage, copy ftp url into CuteFtp or whatever FTP client software that you use.

njb,
  12. 2013/01/27
    njb

SUCCESS: From Nexus Forum post Cannot Connect to PC, response by by GedBlake (12-29-2012, 10:09 AM)
    1. Upgraded Windows Media Player from v9 to v11 in order to acquire the necessary MTP drivers,:
    2. Reboot your computer.
    3. On your Nexus7 ensure USB debugging is DISABLED under Settings->Developer Options, or this won't work. (If you don't know, or understand what that means, then USB debugging will be disabled by default.so ignore).
    4. Plug in your Nexus 7 to your PC, if dialogue box comes up select “Open device to view files using windows explorer” and it will open a My Computer\Nexus 7..You should find, not a DRIVE (ie: D:/),... but a *FOLDER* called Nexus 7... which should contain a full DIRECTORY tree of your Nexus 7's internal storage
    5. The usual Windows Drag 'n' Drop rules apply and you can use two Windows Explorere windows if you want the file trees side by side.

URL of actual post:
    http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/nexus-7-help/2600-cannot-connect-pc-2.html

njb,