1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Connecting a Non PC Tuner To PC Speakers

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hawk22, 2016/07/23.

1. 2016/07/23
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Now I am not certain I posted that in the correct place.
    My question is, I have an vintage "harman/kardon TU 905 Linear Phase Stereo AM/FM Tuner" I am sure some of my Geriatric:D Companions here are familiar with this unit.
    My computer speakers are 2.1 Logitech with quite a massive Sub Woofer. I have a 4 in, 1 out Audio Switch so the RCA out from the Tuner is no problem to connect to the computer speaker setup, I am concerned about voltages and wattage, the Tuners output I believe is 15W.
    Any Advice is welcome.
    hawk22

2. 2016/07/23
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Geriatric? I resemble that remark! ;)

Understand that is a "tuner" only. It is NOT a preamp or a receiver. The output is a "line level" output designed to be connected to the "line level" input of a separate stereo preamp (or integrated amp) where the preamp amplifies the signals (L + R) to send to the final amps, where it is amplified again and sent out to the left and right speakers.

That "line level" output of your tuner is no where near 15W but as seen here, is 775mV. That's millivolts, not watts and there is no direct conversion from volts to watts because.

Computer speakers are "integrated" audio devices. They are not just speakers but have their own integrated preamps and final amplifiers. They are designed to take their inputs from computer sound cards.

What you need to do is take the Line Out of the tuner and connect it to the Line In on your computer's sound card. Then connect the computer speakers as you normally would to the computer. Select the appropriate source from the sound card's control panel in Windows and be good to go.

If you hear a buzz or 60Hz hum, you may need to connect a separate ground wire between the tuner and your computer case.

Alternatively, skip this idea and listen to FM via the tuner's headphone jacks.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/24
    hawk22

Thanks Bill for kick starting my rusty Brain, of course I'll need a amp, when I was last using it I used it with a Yamaha Amp until I started using Tuner Amps.
    So yes I might use it with the headphones for the time being until I sort something out. Its for the spare bed room.
    hawk22

5. 2016/07/24
    Bill

The point is, while your computer speakers have an integrated amp, amplified computer speakers are not designed to be directly integrated/connected to home stereo and home theater audio equipment. You could try using a stereo RCA to mini 3.5mm stereo cable to go from the tuner output to the computer speakers input. I would not expect it to cause any damage but I would not count on it working correctly. And for sure, make sure the computer speaker's volume is turned all the way down first, then turn it up very slowly.

Bill,
  6. 2016/08/06
    hawk22

Thanks Bill, I will have to think about it, not sure now if I will try or not. In other words to Chicken to try.:(

7. 2016/08/06
    Bill

I'd stick to Pandora (if you get where you live). It's great!

Bill,