1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer Dvd Player No Longer Present.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BobbyScot, 2016/05/18.

1. 2016/05/18
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

With no warning DVD Video player (E Drive) is no longer present under computer's icon.
    Inserting a DVD Movie in the computer's player produces a blank screen with no
    further action. Advice please.

2. 2016/05/18
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Bobby. Try running the Microsoft Fixit program from this link, Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media.

If that Microsoft Fixit program does not work, then click Start< type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit enter. After the Device Manager window opens, expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives category and remove your CD/DVD drive and then reboot the computer. See if the CD/DVD drive shows up under My Computer.

Also the CD/DVD drive is recognized in your computers BIOS correct?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/18
    BobbyScot

Hello Evan thank you for your reply, appreciated. I ran your suggested Fix-it and DVD-Rom is again showing as "D" as to "E ". However, inserting a Video disc, fails to operate other than showing the VLC logo. I note that
    under "D" it shows "0 free of 6.61GB ". It maybe a coincidence that notice of error appeared after three Optional Windows Updates were installed.

5. 2016/05/18
    BobbyScot

I have now carried out two computer restore and re-run Fixit. DVD-Rom is now showing in Computers as "D" and displays content of files but refuses to Open and Run DVD movie.

6. 2016/05/18
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I do not know if this will work. Unplug the power cord, open up the case unplug all the cables from just the DVD drive. Then plug them back in. Start the machine access the BIOS to see if the drive is recognized in there. Then check to see if it is now being recognized as Drive E:.

lj50,
  7. 2016/05/18
    Evan Omo

That's good that the DVD drive is showing up under My Computer now. In order to play DVD's download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack Standard 12.1.0 and then reboot the computer. Make sure to uncheck any optional offers in the installation wizard as they are not needed.

Last edited: 2016/05/19
  8. 2016/05/18

Evan: Bobby's using an HP Compaq Presario the C: OS, D: RECOVERY, E: HP_TOOLS, F: DVD RW The DVD is showing up in the Recovery Partition. Unless the OS was a version other than from HP, then that version wouldn't contain the HP System Software D: RECOVERY or E: HP_TOOLS).

Last edited: 2016/05/19
    lj50,
  9. 2016/05/19
    BobbyScot

K-Lite Codec shows as "Address Not Valid ". OS installed from disc bought with Microsoft Logo and not the pre-installed by HP. Using the Fixit, installs the "E" drive but fails to open contents of DVD. Each time a reboot is carried out the "E" drive is no longer shown. It is so seldom that I access the BIOS, I can not remember which "F" number to click repeatedly when booting up. Unable if required to reinstall Windows 7 as disk at present would not be accessible.

10. 2016/05/19

Do you still get the HP splash screen when you start up the computer, if so, look in the bottom left corner of the screen it should tell you to press the ESC key. Then choose from the menu.

lj50,
  11. 2016/05/19
    BobbyScot

The need for BIOS access with my computer appears to be the "F10" key presses. Checked entries in the BIOS. BOOT: 1st Boot Device - Floppy Drive not installed. 2nd Boot - CD-ROM Group. CD-ROM Group Boot Priority [hp DVD-ROM GH40LJ]. Entry was as read Saved=Exit BIOS. Computer was Started, checking Computer Logo - entries showed all DVDs currently installed with the exception of "E" hp DVD-ROM.

12. 2016/05/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A few specs of dust in the DVD drive can keep it from reading cd/dvd's. Get a can of compressed air and blow out the drive.

13. 2016/05/19
    BobbyScot

HP splash screen is viewed for a few seconds at cold start and restarts.

14. 2016/05/19
    Evan Omo

Well I don't know what drive letter the CD/DVD drive is showing up as but Bobby did mention that the drive is showing up in My Computer now.

I corrected the link to download the codec pack so download and install it.

15. 2016/05/19
    BobbyScot

Well after much frustration, decided to make a Restore, selecting a Restore made late February 2016.
    On completion of this Restore point taking some 70 minutes, checked Computers Icon and found that the "E" drive was now displayed, on inserting a Disk in CD-ROM [E] installed contents was now able to read and play files. It is apparently the error appeared between Late February and yesterday, unfortunately not know what caused it. Thank you to all who responded to my cry of help.