1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Compaq mouse MO42KC erratic

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jimvt, 2010/09/13.

1. 2010/09/13
    jimvt

jimvt Inactive Thread Starter

This little mouse is driving me up the wall. At times it works smoothly and other times it is errratic causing the need to wiggle it back and forth to get to a clicking point. If I actually roll the ball toward the click point it will get there but this is obviously a pain.

I suppose I should get another new or used plug-in mouse (USB ports don't work..but that's another story) but I'd like to find the problem with this one.

Any help appreciated.

JimVT

2. 2010/09/13
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi Jim

the most common cause of intermittency I've found is a broken cable at the point where the cable goes into the mouse body; typically this happens when a mouse has been used on a desk, dropped off, and come to an abrupt halt dangling by the cable :rolleyes: at least that's what seems to happen to me!

the wire generally goes round a sharp bend (arrowed) as it enters the mouse, this is where the damage happens (even if the mouse hasn't dropped and jolted the cable, normal usage over time concentrates the wear and tear at this point).

you could perhaps explore this possibility by gently bending the cable to the right, left, or up at the back of the mouse while watching to see whether this stops the mouse working

if you determine that the cable's gone dodgy at this "danger point ", then all that you need to do is get rid of a few inches of cable; the break will almost certainly be at the sharp bend. It's easiest to leave yourself a little length of wire coming from the connector, and make the join "in-line ". Typically the connector will pull off (though a very few don't), and the fine wires in the cable will be colour-coded - which makes the job a lot easier! You can see the black sleeving over where I've soldered it back together. I've lost track of how many I've mended like this, but it's at least 5 over the years...

If you aren't confident with a soldering iron, bribe a friend who can :D ...and heat-shrink sleeving really is wonderfully useful for this, though not essential

with most mice it's 4 wires, but some (I suspect perhaps including your MO42KC) occasionally have more.

hope this helps + best wishes, HJ.

**edit/afterthought** - the above description and pictures are for a PS2 mouse; mending the cable of a USB mouse is not quite as easy

Last edited: 2010/09/14

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/14
    jimvt

jimvt Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, Hugh

Thanks for your prompt and graphic response, Hugh.
    It was helpful.
    I think the connections are OK since they did not react one way or the other to a bit of jiggling but I did find some dust and debris in spots I hadn't noticed last time.
    Seems to be a bit less recalcitrant for now.
    I appreciate your advice.

My folks (Daley's) left Ireland in the mid-1800s, during the famine, I suppose, and settled in Glossop. Mother's side (Burns) are still there.
    Thanks again............Cheerio!

5. 2010/09/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Roller balls are very frustrating in that respect, you should be able to get a PS/2 optical cheap enough and probably your best option.

6. 2010/09/14
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

aaargh, dratted dust and dirt, bane of computers in so many places and so many ways

no regrets about posting about the broken cable thing though, it's hardly uncommon and may well help somebody one day; though I probably see a disproportionate sample - having unfortunately acquired the reputation of "local dude with soldering iron" I tend to get landed with the ones which couldn't be fixed by cleaning alone. Mind, it's not all bad: there's always the bribery aspect to consider (looks at seriously tasty homemade coffee cake) ;)

Wildfire's advice about optical mice is spot on, Jim, they are wonderful little creatures which save a whole load of frustration; if you're going to get a replacement, that's surely the best way to go.

glad you got it working

very best, HJ

7. 2010/09/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Is that your euphemism for Lady HJ :D

Sorry off topic but I couldn't resist.

8. 2010/09/14
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

:D oh I wish, I wish...

no Wildfire, sadly the coffee cake is simply what it purports to be :( no more but unfortunately by now a bit less, and if I don't go downstairs and grab another piece soon it'll have vanished altogether...

...however I told Mrs. J. (whose birthday indeed it is today) what you said, and she promptly creased up laughing. It all goes to show how much one can learn from BBS! - you've just opened up whole new areas of possibility...

very best, HJ