1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

clipboard viewer???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lucy, 2002/08/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/08/12
    Lucy

Lucy Inactive Thread Starter

Does Windows xp come with clipboard viewer???
    I was told if I wanted to copy & paste I could go to system tools & select clipboard viewer. I do not have this tool, & microsoft has one for 95- 98- & windows millenium, but not for windows xp.
    Would appreciate all replies to this question, as I am not able to copy & paste without putting the text into notepad.
    There must be other ways????
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lucy,
  2. 2002/08/12
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Hi Lucy
    First, Windows XP's Clipboard Viewer is now called the Clipbook Viewer. And although XP places the program on your hard drive, here's how to place the Clipbook Viewer's icon onto your Start menu:

1. Click the Start menu button and open My Computer.

2. Open your C drive. (It's listed in the Hard Disk Drives section.)

3. Double-click on the Windows folder. (You might have to tell it to let you see what's inside.)

4. Double-click on the System32 folder. (Again, you might have to tell it to let you see what's inside.)

5. Scroll down the page until you locate a file named Clipbrd.

6. Drag and drop the Clipbrd file onto your Start button.

Just let go of your mouse button when it's pointing at the Start button; that drops a shortcut to the Clipbook Viewer onto your Start menu. When you open your Start menu, the Clipbrd program's icon will appear near the top. (Feel free to right-click the clipbrd's icon, choose Rename, and type in Clipbook Viewer. If you're angry at XP, rename it Clipboard Viewer, just out of spite.)

Whenever you want to see exactly what's being stored on your Clipboard, double-click that icon. The Clipbook Viewer appears, letting you see exactly what's been cut or copied to your Clipboard.

Blatantly ripped from here.

Daizy

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/08/12
    Lucy

Clipboard viewer????

Thank you so much Daizy, I have been trying to get this info on several different sites, but with no success. It is very late, so will try tomorrow to follow directions & will let you know how I made out. I am a newbie to all this technology, & even though I can manage simple tasks, I have a long way to go before I feel comfortable with this machine in front of me.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Lucy,
  5. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

You're most welcome Lucy.
    Happy to help.

Daizy

6. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

clipbook viewer

Hi again Daizy,
    Well, it worked--hurrah!!!! Now my next question is can I copy & paste into other programmes (like my documents or word). At the moment, I am only able to copy & paste into Notepad. Also someone was giving me keyboard instructions which are as follows, hold down [ctrl] & press c key, then go into any programme & hold down [ ctrl] & press v key. This does not work for me in any way, shape or form. But my last question is can I copy & paste from any web page into other programmes other than notepad????
    Hope all this makes sense to you, & again if nothing else at least I was able to find the clipboard viewer, or as they are naming it now Clipbook viewer.
    Thanks so much
    Lucy: :D :D :D

Lucy,
  7. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

Footnote to last post

Hi once again Daizy,

This is very strange, & I don't know if it's just related to Windows XP.
    I finally can copy & paste from a web page, into word, but & I emphasize but, only if I open word first & minimize the page & then do hold [ctrl] + C then open word from task bar & press [ctrl] + V. I do not have to do this with Notepad, so why do I have to do this with word!!!! My daughter who is running Windows 98, has no problem doing this without opening word first.
    Am I going crazy or is this what is suppose to happen?????
    Its a small problem I know, but maybe someon out there can answer this one!!
    Thanks again,
    Lucy
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lucy,
  8. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Hmmmmm Lucy
    Wish I knew what to say? You're saying you can't toggle between a page you want to copy from....and paste to word? Or you don't have the option to send to Word....but instead do have it to send to notepad?
    I'm a little lost (And a whole lot low on coffee). Of course you'd need to open word in order to paste into a document?

Daizy

9. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

Daizy,
    Won't belabor this issue any longer, & I think you are very high in the coffee catagory.
    Thanks again
    Lucy:) :) :)

Lucy,
  10. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Awwww Lucy!
    No....let's try and get this sorted. If it's not working as you think it should?

Daizy

11. 2002/08/13
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Lucy - the problem must be a major pain in the hindparts though. And it should work on XP (pro and home) pretty much the same as on 98.

Certainly if you highlight a section, you should be able to copy it with either a right-click and copy or a ctrl-c. And then put it where you need it (regardless of whether the program to receive the text was open or not when you copied) with a right-click and paste or with a ctrl-v.

Try this and see how it works:

Highlight a section of this thread. Easiest is probably to put the mouse pointer at the top of the part you want, hold down the left mouse button, drag the mouse downward while holding the button. Then release the button. That should highlight a segment of text.

Next click on Edit (at the top) and copy.

Now open a blank email or word document or whatever. At the top of the new email/document, click on file again and then paste.

You should have a copy of the highlighted text placed in the new location.

Side note - a full list of the keyboard shortcuts for XP-home is Here - Q301583.

12. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Thanks for jumping in Newt,
    I didn't like the idea of Lucy leaving without fully overcoming the problem she's having. :(

Daizy

13. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

copying & pasting????

To Daizy & Newt:
    You people don't like to give up do you??? Neither do I, but I have tried all the ways described to me in your posts, & I mean tried. No matter how I do it, after hightlighting the text, whether right clicking to copy or using the keyboard shortcuts, it always is the same. When I go into word/document & right click to paste, the paste option is in a pale gray & will not let me paste. Only & I must emphazise this only, when I open word/document first!!!! does it allow me to paste. Newt, I have followed your instructions to a "T" & still no success.
    only
    I am not one to give up easily, but this is driving me to distraction, especially when I know this is what should happen, but it is not happening when I do it.

Thanks to both of you, you have given it your best shot, & for that I am very appreciative.
    Lucy
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: first

14. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Alrighty........ let's get back at this.
    So...........
    Let's start with a blank desktop:
    You open up a new word document.
    Then you open up a web page.
    You highlight some text from said web page.
    You right click on it while it's blue..and choose copy.
    You toggle back to Word.......
    Back to your brand spanking new Word document.
    Place your cursor on the page....right click to choose paste......and nada. :(

Do I have it?

You're using Windows XP and which version of Office?

Daizy

15. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

Yes Daizy, you have it!!!!!
    I have microsoft works which includes many programmes & I have microsoft word 2002
    Will that help?????? I doubt it!
    Lucy

16. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Ok my fellow Canuck....work with me here! :D
    Does it do the same for both Works AND Word?
    We may have to resort to going here.

Daizy

Last edited: 2002/08/13
  17. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

Yes, unfortunately!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really think we should let this problem rest in peace!!!

Maybe I should contact Microsoft, (not that doing that would do any good!!!)

Have to find another windows XP user & see what they have to say.

Now the next thing on my agenda is to figure out how to change font size, bold & underline on this post, (I don't have any trouble doing that within windows.)

Go get some more coffee Daizy, & I hope we can talk again in the future. Being an easterner, it's been a long time since I was out West.

Thanks again
    Lucy

18. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

copying & Pasting???

Yes to your last questing Daizy!!!

I think we all should give this problem a rest, because I thought I had posted a reply, & God knows where it went but it didn't go where it was suppose to!!!!

That other link "here ", is that connected to this site, or is that another site where I can drive them crazy!!!

Go fill up on some more coffee Daizy, & I certainly appreciate all this Western help.

I'm off to watch the news, & maybe check back later, but another thing I have yet to figure out how to apply different font sizes & underline words, but-------------that's another whole new ballgame.

Hope we talk in the future & thanks again
    Lucy

19. 2002/08/13
    Lucy

Oops, it was there all the time, & I didn't know it!!!!!

20. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

I moved from Timmins, Ontario....doesn't that count? :D

When you click to make a reply to this post..... look at the top of the box. There's a B and an I and a U.......etc.
    You'll want to click on the B for bold....and type in the words or phrases that you want to make bold.
    I is for Italics
    U for underline
    Your font size is there as well.

And nope......not gonna leave this issue alone. This isn't rocket science. It's a glitch..and it needs defeating. :eek:

Daizy

21. 2002/08/13
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Heyyyyyyyy wait a cotton picking minute! You ARE using the font sizing! You go girl! :eek: :D :cool:

Shhhhhh. That link is to another forum run by a member from a different board I belong to. But we're just gonna have you sneak over theere and get one teeny tiny answer...then get back here to this board! We like having you here. :)

Daizy

Last edited: 2002/08/13
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.