1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Clicking on url shortcut placed on Desktop not always responds]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by marioz988, 2014/03/01.

1. 2014/03/01
    marioz988

marioz988 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

sometimes when i click on an icon on desktop regarding a shortcut for a site.. nothing opens !
    I always have to reboot fresh so that i can open a site from its shortcut on the desktop.

any solution or at least i like to know why !

thank you.

2. 2014/03/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I've seen that problem happen due to a browser hang up, but Windows 7 usually alerts the user to issues like that if I remember correctly.

What happens when you run programs like CCleaner? Does the cleaning tool alert you to an open browser (or process) that needs to be closed before certain files can be cleaned?

Maybe you could try creating a replacement shortcut.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/03/02
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

I've had the same thing happen but it's with only one program -- Adobe Elements 3.0. -- and it's happened only twice. It happened just last night, and the other time was maybe a couple months ago. Going to the source of the shortcut doesn't help. Only a reboot works, after which the program works just fine.

I open that program virtually every day, sometime 2 or 3 times a day. I leave my computer on overnight after closing down all open programs and shutting off the monitor. Maybe that kind of usage makes it more likely that the problem would occur, but why so irregularly?

5. 2014/03/02
    marioz988

well suppose i took a shorcut for IBM.COM and or other sites too... from my browser to the desktop..

everything is going normal, when suddenly i want to open that site (ibm.com or any other shortcut on my desktop) nothing respond and not one of my shortcuts opens.

i close my browser and try to open any shortcut on my desktop.. nothing !
    i open my browser and try to open a shortcut... nothing !

the only way is to reboot and everything goes normal.

maybe a running application does it or something else ?
    i wonder.
    it happens many times but not always for sure... I thing i have to go to ''task Manager'' and try to close by elimination some running programs.. maybe a solution there ??!!

6. 2014/03/02
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I assume you're talking Internet Explorer (11) here? Did you try running CCleaner (when the mishap occurs) to see if your browser is hanging?

Try running a Malware Bytes scan (full scan), first, to check for nasties, and then sfc /scannow in the run box.

7. 2014/03/02
    marioz988

Well not really.
    I am using Firefox 26-27 !
    anyway even when i close all browsers and try a shortcut, it just look as if it
    took the clicking but without opening any browser.

actually i ran malware bytes 2 weeks ago and there were somemalwares around but my browser opens and closes very normally anytime.

for ccleaner, nope i never used it but i clean always with Norton utility and Glary utility.

i will come back to you later when it happens and try those tricks.

I thank all of you for trying to help ..

8. 2014/03/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Found this on Google Search:
    After all, if somebody want to know which way will help, here is a step-by-step guide :

- Open Windows Explorer

- Find in headtoolbar & click on it : Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

- Find in list of "Registered file types:" (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    - Click on it once to highlight it, & click on the " Advanced" button ( "Edit File Type" window will open)
    - Find in list of "Actions:" this " open ", & double click on it ( "Editing action for ..." window will open)
    - Double click on " Browser" button & find your fav browser .exe file in list of "Look in: "
    (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe)
    - Click on .exe file once to highlight it & click on the " Open" button ( "Open With" window will close)
    - Click on " OK" button ( "Editing action ..." window will close)
    - Click on " OK" button ( "Edit File Type" window will close)

- Find in list of "Registered file types:" (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
    - Click on it once to highlight it, & click on the " Advanced" button ( "Edit File Type" window will open)
    - Find in list of "Actions:" this " open ", & double click on it ( "Editing action for ..." window will open)
    - Double click on " Browser" button & find your fav browser .exe file in list of "Look in: "
    (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe)
    - Click on .exe file once to highlight it & click on the " Open" button ( "Open With" window will close)
    - Click on " OK" button ( "Editing action ..." window will close)
    - Click on " OK" button ( "Edit File Type" window will close)

- Click on " OK" button ( "Folder Options" window will close)

This was in a comp running XP. Neil.

9. 2014/03/04
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

I just had a recurrence of the problem, with the same one program again (Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0). It worked fine all day yesterday. I closed it overnight, and when I tried to open it a few minutes ago it wouldn't open. Drilled down to the program folder and the .exe file in it -- same no-go. The hourglass shows for a few seconds, then vanishes, and that's all. Everything else works OK.

The fix that works in XP doesn't in 7, at least for me, because in the Tools > Folder Options sequence, there's no Edit File Type. A search for it didn't work, either.

I haven't done a restart yet, which always solved the issue in the past. Any ideas?

10. 2014/03/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

11. 2014/03/04
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

I checked it out. It refers to PSE Organizer, which is a different program than what I have (PSE 3.0) and assumes I have version 6,7 or 8, but when I went through the steps in Item 7, everything seemed OK.

Then I looked at Item 8, which suggests making PSE run in compatibility mode with XP. I enabled that, so now it's a matter of waiting to see whether or not the program will open every time I click on it. That could take a long time, since the problem cropped up so few times and so infrequently. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the heads-up! :)

12. 2014/04/01
    marioz988

You will be amazed to know the reason "why shortcuts on my desktop, dont open when i click on it" !!!

Today I experienced the same problem and went back to read these different replies .

I read the reply of : retiredlearner thoroughly and a hint after reading these lines came to me : ((Double click on " Browser" button & find your fav browser .exe file in list of "Look in: "
    (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe))).
    I opened Options/Advanced /System Defaults on FireFox and checked out the firefox as a default browser and................ VOILA !

Still I have doubt but at thi moment it worked and I cross my fingers !!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING !