1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Clean Install Win8.1; Can't Get To Step 2

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by ralatwbbs, 2015/11/28.

1. 2015/11/28
    ralatwbbs

ralatwbbs Inactive Thread Starter

Step 1: "Insert a disk." OK (and select type 1 and press any key)

Step 2: "Follow the steps." There are no steps to be seen. (This is a clean install, so I can't open or select anything, as suggested by the instructions on the retail package.)

What I see on the screen is the green 4-paned logo, then after about 3 minutes a circle of moving lights. I waited more than 20 minutes - no change. Hard drive light not on. Same with 32 & 64 bit disks.

Upgrade Assistant shows no problems.

I think it may be a monitor problem (Acer G6 Series G276HLGbd 27 "); that the things I am supposed to be seeing may somehow be off screen, but I have fiddled extensively with the monitor's configuration buttons without success.

A pretty fair search of online help finds this problem unmentioned.

I use integrated graphics.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Last edited: 2015/11/28
  2. 2015/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

First you should remove the link to your email address from your signature.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2015/11/28
    ralatwbbs

Yes
    I don't see any point to the first step of the tutorial. I disconnect all hard drives but my Kingston 240gb ssd (so windows will have no excuse to give me a boot option screen after the install is complete [I know what to do about that in XP, but I don't even know if win 8 uses a boot.ini file]), set the bios to boot from cd/dvd and restart. I select the appropriate "drive type" (it must mean optical drive #) when prompted and press a key to boot from cd/dvd when prompted.

Here's where I get the screen blank but for logo and circle of lights. The tutorial assumes I get an Install Windows page, but I do not get anything but logo and lights.

6. 2015/11/28
    ralatwbbs

OK.
    I can see how it might set me up to be spammed.

Thanks.

7. 2015/11/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Step 1 allows you to open the CD/DVD drive which you cannot do if the PC is not powered up.
    Step 2 enables the PC to boot from DVD/CD/USB as per the bios settings.

Thus both are relevant. Are you using a full retail version of 8.1 or a burnt ISO?

The point at which the installation hangs would suggest an issue with either the DVD or the DVD drive. I can't see that it is a screen issue if both the logo and rotating circle of lights are centered.

Can you check out the installation disk on another PC? - I guess you have tried both your DVD drives?

8. 2015/11/28
    ralatwbbs

I insert the disk when I am in the bios changing the boot method.
    Full retail.
    Well, maybe I should set this aside and finish assembling my newer system
    Yes, and both 64- and 32-bit disks.

Thanks for your time and attention!

9. 2015/11/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Robert, What comp are you using. You are showing 2 builds in your System Detail. Have you formatted the SSD?
    I ask the question because I just renewed my laptop drive with a SSD and initially I tried to clone/copy the HDD to the new SSD and the software wanted the SSD formatted first.
    I did the format and then gave up on the clone job and installed the SSD to the laptop. I used my USB thumb drive that had the original Recovery of W8/8.1 to install from.
    It went as sweet as and then updated ALL the MS updates and has since Upgraded to W10 home 64bit absolutely trouble free.
    I have done the install of W8.1 on 2 other NEW SSD's without the format (just straight out of the box) without problems.
    FWIW, try a Format on your SSD to see if it helps.
    I've installed the W8 and W8.1 from DVD's on our home comps using Retail DVD and one that I burned the ISO to DVD and each time it was just insert the disc and follow the instructions. Neil.

10. 2015/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're welcome.

lj50,
  11. 2015/11/28
    ralatwbbs

- Reformatting

Using older system, the one before the "// ". I formatted the SSD just before the attempted install using Easus Partition Master - Full format, not quick - but Easus does not offer the distinction. So I will reformat using WinXP; Drive is NTFS.

Reformat done. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

[later] It evidentally made 1 difference: there was no prompt to press key to boot from CD/DVD.
    Further information
    0:00 I hit "1 "{enter] to select drive type
    optical drive light begins flashing
    hard drive light is almost solid on
    Logo appeared
    1:09 drive lights off
    1:30 I remove disk
    3:22 circle of moving lights appears
    5:00 test aborted

Last edited: 2015/11/29
  12. 2015/11/30
    ralatwbbs

11/30 20 min test. No difference.

I had assumed that Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe would advise of any hardware deficiency, but it dawned on me that WUA evaluated my system AFTER the motherboard drivers had been loaded. They would not be available for a clean install, so my Intel DG965WH MB's integrated graphics may not be good enough.

I've ordered an inexpensive graphics card and am setting this problem aside for a while.

13. 2015/12/13
    ralatwbbs

Giving up on Clean Install

for now, at least. I'm trying a different approach: 1) install win 7 2) upgrade to win 8 (on the way to win 10.

I've installed win 7 and poked around a bit, and I have to say I don't hate it.

Best wishes,
    Robert

14. 2015/12/17
    ralatwbbs

Upgrade from Win 7, Speed Problem?

Installing the video card, an nvidia EVGA geforce 8400 GS, made absolutely no discernable (or rather, discerned) difference to my clean boot attempt, and I have abandoned the project.

Instead I clean installed a new copy of Win XP on a freshly formatted Samsung 250g SSD. From there I installed a downloaded copy of Win 7 Home Premium. I installed the video card driver and Norton Security Suite. Total time for all this was about 65 min.

I then inserted my Win 8.1 disk and clicked on setup.exe (or autorun). Everything seemed to be going smoothly, compatability check, product key, etc., until finally it said "Installing Windows 8 (or 8.1) ".

After the first restart it said "loading files" for, I think, less than 10 minutes. Then the screen went black until about 2 minutes, when the blue/green 4-paned logo appeared. After another minute or so the moving circle of lights appeared. At which point I killed the power. 121.35mb had been written to the SSD.

For the next test I went through the 8.1 installation steps as before, but this time I waited for 15 min. then went away. When I came back after 49 min. (timer started at last click to finally start install) the screen was black (but my monitor's power light was blue, which meant it was getting a signal). I powered off.

For the next test I started the process, went away, and came back after about 1.5 hours. It said "Setup 3% ". After another 1.5 hours it said "Setup 7% ". And I pulled the plug; I can't have my computer tied up for 2 days with no guarantee of success. I know my computer is old and slow - 1.86 ghz dual core cpu - but not that slow.

Assuming it is a speed issue, what could be causing it?

Or can you think of anything else that could be going wrong?

I have 4g of DDR ram and plenty of space on the SSD for a swap file. Before I try again I will look at the swap file settings, but they are as they were set by the Win 7 install.

Thanks, Robert

15. 2015/12/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

At this stage I would be very suspicious of the installation DVD.

16. 2016/02/13
    Mr Chuck

Mr Chuck Well-Known Member

Going from W7Pro. to W10Pro took a total of 2 1/2 hours, you just have to be patient and WAIT......... This was on a Intel® Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz with 16GB of RAM, so I can see where yours would take even longer than mine did, yours may take 4 or 5 hours or longer, just wait.