1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Checking NVRAM Problem!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tekno, 2004/12/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/12/04
    Tekno

Tekno Inactive Thread Starter

:rolleyes:

From time to time on initial startup the computer will hang at "Checking NVRAM"

The only way to overcome the problem is to swich off, wait 10 seconds and reboot - then all OK?! The machine will then startup and run every day for weeks without a problem, so I am confused!

System Summary:

Win98SE
    Gigabyte GA-5AA Mobo
    Amibios
    256MB RAM
    Primary HDD 30GB
    Secondary HDD 15GB
    LG CD-R
    Matrox G200 PCI Graphics Card

Could a shut down problem be causing this?

2. 2004/12/04
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Paul,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/12/05
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I had an NVRAM error message recently (can't remember the details, of course :rolleyes: ). It related directly to the system RAM.
    Try removing and replacing the RAM stick(s). If you have more than 1 stick, try swapping them. Try the stick in a different slot.

OK!!! .... I remember now! I just looked at your system. The board I was working on was a GA-5AA!! When I opened the case I noted that the RAM was in the second slot (bank 1), not the first slot (bank 0) [note the numbering Paul :D ]. When I tried the stick in bank 0 I got the NVRAM error.

Bank 0 may have failed like the on motherboard I was working on. Try the RAM in banks 1 or 2 (take care about your electrostatics. Read the motherboard manual if you need directions)

Matt

5. 2004/12/05
    Tekno

Thanks guys - will give those a try, the memory solution is looking interesting as from recolection slots 1 and 2 are being used!

Will update as soon as I have checked etc!

6. 2004/12/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

As Paul's link reveals it is your non-volatile RAM - that is memory that retains its contents when the main power is turned off - either by having it burned in or by keeping current applied through the battery, which means your CMOS or BIOS memory. Note that by that definition, your CMOS memory is not really non-volatile then since it needs the battery - but it is still called that.

What it is telling you is that what its memory is telling the POST (power on self test) its configuration SHOULD be, is not what it is finding now - or since you are not really getting an error - it cannot complete the test.

If the battery is starting to go, then it could be losing its ability to hold the CMOS settings for long. Does your date and time stay current? A new battery is cheap - Radio Shack should have them - just don't touch the new one with bare hands - your skin oils are not good - use a clean sock.

I believe it is the battery because you say you turn it on again and it works. This tells me the BIOS figured out what your config was and set the CMOS memory - and then since you only had it turned off of a few seconds, the battery was able to hold those settings for that short of time - enough to complete the test.

Bill,
  7. 2004/12/08
    Tekno

:)

Bill,

Thanks for your input - sounds pretty logical to me!!

Nothing looks different on the system and the start-up hang occurs only from time to time - sometimes running for weeks without any problems!

Since new the RTC has always gained a few seconds a week and this has not changed!

For the small cost of a battery I will replace it to eliminate that possibility.

Will let you know what happens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.