1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Change Installed Programs Location

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by virginia, 2017/12/26.

1. 2017/12/26
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Recently got a new computer with 250GB Solid State Drive (C) and 1TB Hard Drive (D). I didn't realize it but Windows 10, by default, places the installed programs along with Documents, Pictures, etc, on the same drive as the operating system - in my case the SSD.

I have changed the destination location for the Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos to the D drive but am reluctant to change the installed programs location. My searching on this Board and Googling indicates this involves registry changes which I prefer to do with someone holding my hand. Could I get some guidance on this procedure?

Also, I have already installed a couple of programs that are on the C drive and I would like to move those to the D drive. Any suggestions on how to do this?

2. 2017/12/26
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You should not do that (moving the installed programs location). Firstly there is no point, you would be throwing away the advantage of your SSD drive. Secondly, with 256GB what's the problem?

Moving your docs, pics & music is enough.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/26

Arie,

This is a perfect plan of action for me - don't do anything. I can handle that easily.

For some reason, I thought the installed programs should be on the D drive. It makes sense that the programs that are accessed frequently should be on the same drive as the operating system.

Thanks. Will mark this one resolved.

5. 2017/12/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

FTR, I even keep my documents on the SSD with my installed programs. With Office Home & Business 2016 (which includes Outlook 2016), I am still only using about 95GB of my 256GB SSD. I have moved all my photos, tunes and other "static" (they don't change) files to another drive. This way, even my 74 page Word document (with embedded graphs, links, images, tables, and more) I use for canned forum responses "pops" open.

Just keep track of the free space available on this drive. I like to keep at least 30GB free to allow Windows lost of room to operate freely in. If you get below that, and running Disk Cleanup or CCleaner does not free up enough space, review your installed programs and uninstall any you installed but don't use. If still low on free disk space, consider moving some installed programs to another drive.

Except for some of the latest games, most programs are not very big.

BTW, you do not have to edit the registry. The best, safest, and most complete way is to uninstall the program from the boot drive. Then install it again, this time ensuring you select the "*Custom Install" option. With the vast majority of programs, the Custom Install option lets you choose where you want it installed instead of going with the boot drive defaults. Then you can create an "Installed Programs" folder on D drive and install your apps there. This will automatically reset the Registry entries for you. If user created data files go with these programs, make sure you have copies first (though typically, they are not deleted during the uninstall). Also, if there is a user or licensing key needed to activate the program (typically for programs you purchased), make sure you know it before uninstalling too.

*Custom Install - note you should be in the habit of always choosing this option when installing any program. This install method, in addition to install location, will (or should, anyway) give you the option to "opt out" of any extras like tool bars or auto-update programs, or changes to your home page or search engine.

Bill,
  6. 2017/12/26

Thanks Bill. Never thought of uninstalling from one drive and reinstalling using a custom install. However, based on your and Arie's comments, I don't need to do that as I plan to keep the installed programs on the SSD. I may move the Documents back to the SSD as you suggested.