1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CDSETUP.exe

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hollinm, 2004/01/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

hollinm Inactive Thread Starter

Operating with Windows 98SE

Booted computer this morning and had the following message come up:

"cannot find the file CDSETUP.EXE (or one of its components) make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available ".....ok

when I clicked ok the following box came up:

"could not load or run CDSETUP.EXE specified in the WIN.INI file.
    make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI files ". ok

When I click ok the box goes away and the computer loads normally.

This appears to be a program. What program is it and do I need it? Since it was there would prefer to have it. How do I restore it to my system?
    If I do not need it how do I get rid of the reference in the win.ini files?

I looked for the file under cdsetup.exe. There was nothing. When I typed in cdsetup it came up as a log file under yesterday's date.

Any help would be most appreciated
    :confused:

2. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

What was the last program or driver setup you installed or attempted to install? Have you done a registry scanreg /restore of an older backed_up set? This line indicates a setup that didnot complete or the removal of said same that didnot clean out the win.ini or the restoration of an older one that still had this line in it.

=================
    To edit win.ini from the:
    *From the startmenu button
    *Scroll to "run "
    *Type "sysedit" and hit enter
    *Click on the win.ini window
    *Find the reference to the load/run line you wish to get rid of

I suggest you rem it for now. That way you can reverse this should the need arise. If at some point you come to the conclusion that this win.ini edit has done no harm you can delete it [Clarification! The line only not win.ini]:
    To rem the line in win.ini put a ; semicolon and a space in front of the command referencing cdsetup.exe.

See for an example only:

http://www.micro-solutions.com/tech_support/printer_comp/d.html

Last edited: 2004/01/26

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

Att: goddez1

Thanks for replying so quickly.
    Do you know what the program is?
    A little more to the story to make sure we are on the same page.
    Last week I had trouble with my virus scan which resulted in having to remove the program and reinstall it.
    However, before I did that I backed up the registry and it is now sitting on my destop ( I did not delete it)
    I went into the registry and removed the McAfee virus scan software and then reinstalled it. Everything was working fine.End of that story
    Yesterday granddaughters playing on computer. Called me they were having trouble. I noticed a blue screen with message there was a problem and registry was being updated by a previous version. I can't recall all the message. Machine went thru its gyrations and everything loaded up.
    If I put back the registry thats sitting on my desktop will that solve the problem? Will it create problems for my reinstalled virus scan?

5. 2004/01/26
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Windows 98 backs up the Registry on the first boot of the calander day If scanregistry is loading at boot up. This is a much better backup as it backs up all four files and keeps them syncronized..

It backs up the four files used by Windows. And is the safest backup to use.

System.dat
    User.dat
    Win.ini
    System.ini

It makes the RB00x.cab files that reside in the C:\Windows\Sysbckup folder. And the next days RB00x.cab file will refelect any changes you have made to the Registry.

These can be restored by booting to the command prompt at boot up and typing scanreg /restore then choosing the one you think is best to restore. They can not be restored from within Windows.

Also if you type SCANREG at the start run line it will also make a RB00x.cab file. if you tell it to.

The x in the BR00x = a number . such as RB001.CAB.

Also those are ZEROs ( Number 0 ) in the file name.

How did you make a backup to reside on the desktop ?

I am thinking you used EXPORT ? Which IS NOT a backup. And it does not get the FULL registry.

BUT you must remeber. For the backups to be made every day WINDOWS MUST be at least restarted once per day.

Also once you get everything fixed up you can delete the existing RB00x.CAB files, restart Windows and it will make a new one.

You can also restore the reg by booting to the Floppy startup disk and typing

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG /RESTORE.

BillyBob

6. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello hollinm,

I have no idea know what program stuck this line in the win.ini file. Cdsetup.exe is rather a generic setup file name and definitely lacks detail. While I could find Google references by several people who had the same problem, the suggested REM_win.ini_edit was given in each case. No one ever responded back with the results. I can only assume this worked with no problem.

Two specific possibles seem to guesstimate that it may have involved either win98 resource kit installation or a cdrom setup. In any case editing this line takes care of the immediate nuisance and should it actually involve a glitch in some past installation, you'll know soon enough when trying to use the effected application. It will most likely have to reinstalled anyway.

Don't restore a past registry backup without expecting to have to mess with a Mcaffee install again. Any problems you were having with Mcaffee that may have involved registry settings will still be in the older backups. The rule of thumb for backed up system files is that anything that was installed after the restored dated backup, will [in most cases] have to be reinstalled.

=========
    To sum up...edit [REM] the win.in line referencing cdsetup.exe. If all goes well your problem is gone. If something pipes up you'll know who or what is causing it.

===As a side note========
    Problem with Mcaffee? After you installed did you update with the latest dat file and have you scanned? Does MCaffee run with no problem? Virus' love to disable scanners.

===A Guesstimate I can add====
    "Granddaughters had a problem with the computer ", is it possible they were try to install a game or something? The line may have been left in win.ini by an interrupted problematic install such as this.

7. 2004/01/26

BillyBob Inactive

goddez1 Has a very valid point about restoring an older Reg Backup.

Work with the existing until the problem is fixed.

Wait a day or two to make sure all is well then delete the Old backups and let it make a new. That way you will have a backup of the Reg as it is. Not as it was.

That way it will not mess up McAfee or any other recent installs.

BillyBob

8. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

:(

I tried your first suggetions but when I went into sysedit and win.ini files I could not find cdsetup.exe. Any other suggestions. I went into autoexec.bat and system.ini but it would not let me get into config.sys just to see if I could see the file. No luck.
    BillyBob offered some suggestions but I am not that experienced and did not understand. He would need to give me a step by step procedure to follow.

9. 2004/01/26

BillyBob Inactive

I went into autoexec.bat and system.ini but it would not let me get into config.sys just to see if I could see the file. No luck.

Are you saying that you could not edit the CONFIG.SYS or that nothing showed in the config.sys Windows of sysedit ?

If nothing showed then that is OK. Some installs of 98 do not have anyhing there. Especially if no DOS programs are run. Windows does not need it.

BillyBob

10. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

What do you mean you could not look into or get config.sys?

Did you get an error?

Msconfig is another way to have alook into these files:
    Click on the Start button

Scroll to and click on run

Type msconfig

What does the config.sys say here?

What's reflected in the list on the startup tab? [any reference to cdsetup.exe]

=========
    What ya' got in the startmenu_button>all programs>startup folder?

11. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

When I went into sysedit the first box popped up with the title System Configuration Editor
    C:\Config.Sys
    Cannot open this file ....ok
    Click ok
    when click ok the C:\Autoexec.BAT opens
    Went into msconfig...went to startup tab
    scrolled down and found a box ticked and it said
    load= M:\CDSETUP.EXE
    The M: drive is my cdrom drive. Somebody in my family could not get the scanner to work last nite and put the cd in the M drive, loaded the scanner and then the scanner worked fine.
    Could this be the problem?
    Do I simply untick the box? What does that do? Is there something else I should do?

One final point. Did not understand what your were saying with
    the comment under the double line on your last reply.
    Thanks for your patience.

12. 2004/01/26

BillyBob Inactive

When I went into sysedit the first box popped up with the title System Configuration Editor
    C:\Config.Sys
    Cannot open this file ....ok
    Click ok
    when click ok the C:\Autoexec.BAT opens
    Went into msconfig...went to startup tab
    scrolled down and found a box ticked and it said
    load= M:\CDSETUP.EXE
    The M: drive is my cdrom drive.

goddez1 HELP !!!

There may be a connection here

Cannot open Config.sys

load=M:\CDSETUP in startup tab

M=CDROM.

OR your first idea about and incomplete setup.

Somebody tried to fix scanner using M:=CDROM

BillyBob

13. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Sorry for slow response. I'm trying to eat dinner and keep up with my ongoing posts. Dinner is taking priority since I'm starving but....

Tell me the name of your scanner so I can double check on usual setup procedures before I make any decision calls here.

I suspect unchecking this in msconfig will be ineffective cause it's probably getting the run call from somewhere else but you can give it a shot. This is easily reversed by simply opening msconfig and putting a check back in. No harm or perminent damage can be done.

===Further explanation of comment under the double line on my last reply===

The "Startup" folder is located in the list entitled "All Programs" accessible via the start button. I was just thinking that it was possible that a bad shortcut was in here. By "BAD" I mean that if you check the properties of suspected shortcut it may have a bad or incomplete path listed in the "Target" or "Start in" fields. If shortcuts are in the startup folder you may wish to check for this glitch by rightclicking on the shortcuts and selecting "Properties ". The paths will be reflected here.

===========
    Now I need to finish my salad while I wait for the Scanner make and model and before I tackle that elusive but very curious "Config.sys" fit mystery.

14. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

Att: Goddez1

It is Mircrotek ScanMaker V300/V310. V600/E3. 95. I think its version 2.36

15. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

goddez1

Sorry forgot to mention when I check startup in the programs the only thing in there is my mailwasher program. No shortcuts etc or the like.

16. 2004/01/26
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

On some occasions, an install or uninstall file will be referenced in the registry, in an unlikely place.
    Go to Start\Run, type in Regedit and press Enter. When Regedit opens, use the + signs to get to this Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

With that Key highlighted, look in the right pane of Regedit and look for CDSETUP.EXE. If you cannot see the entire line, look up to where it says Data and grab the grey line with the mouse and move it over.
    If you find it, only delete that entire line, by right clicking on it, the number to the right will go with it.

17. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

On second thought, let's see what's going on with the config.sys file. It may be corrupt and the scanner needed this file to add config or path lines to. I'm not quite sure why you can't open/edit it but you sure as shooting should be, at least under normal circumstances.

It's in your root of C:. Perhaps this needs a poke or two. Double click on your "my computer" icon located on the desktop.

Doubleclick on the c:drive icon

Scroll past the folders and look for files named config.***

Config.sys should be on the list.

Can you rightclick on this and work with it, such as open, edit, rename, send to notepad? NOTE you can make a shortcut to notepad and place it on your desktop and just drgNdrop this onto the notepad shortcut and it should open if it isable to.

Do you have any files listed config.bak or config.??? [?=anything. These are backups done by various programs for various reasons.]

=========
    While your exploring this Iwill go and see what I can dig up on your scanner install "should-dos ".

Be back shortly.....

18. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

Att: markp62

I did what you suggested but did not find CDSETUP.EXE.
    There were a number of C:\Program Files\ and C:\Windows\ but nothing with the thing we are looking for.

19. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Well the support site was less than supportive. It only offered pretty generic FAQ's and common Technical Tshoots. If curious See here:

http://www.support.microtek.com/tech_faqs_5.phtml?pge=0&slnk=1#0

This is the install manual:
    http://www.support.microtek.com/ts_doc_SMV300InstlPC.phtml

NOTE Section stating "When installation is complete, the Microtek ScanWizard for Windows group is created and the CONFIG.SYS file is modified accordingly. "

As a side note I did notice that drivers offered are up to version 2.54.

Any other help needed is only offered by email correspondence.

===============
    I think something has gotten botched in the install or reinstall of your scanner. Most scanner installs require a strict specific protocol. This also goes for reinstalls. In most cases drivers have to removed and software uninstalled [and in some cases folders removed] before a reinstall attempt is made. If not a corrupt install can result. The steps in any instructions must be followed in the order given. I can't be more specific than that because the steps, files and folders will differ dependent about the manufacturer, make and model.

=========
    It may be possible to clear this up if there is no problem with the scanner and it seems to function in all the ways it is supposed to. If there's no bad disabled device manager symbols and if your willing to explore and work with in your registry and system files.

You've got to find where that load line is coming from and either stop it or find out why it can't run. I suspect this has something to do with the config.sys file.

Alternative is to uninstall scanner drivers and then the software and then reinstall all again cleanly. Or learn to deal with the and ignore the error on bootup.

======
    Config.sys will still have to be dealt with in all cases.

Opps, almost forgot....do you have a wininit.ini file?

20. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

I found it on the c drive and it is called config.mjh. The extension is my initials (I assume). I can right click on it and there are choices. Open with...(it wants a program) edit, rename send to desktop (not notepad). Can make a shortcut to desktop. There are no references to notepad shortcut. If I move it to the desktop will it have to stay there from now on. Don't think I can move it back to its original spot.
    Am I going to ***** anything up by moving it to the desktop.
    By the way I noticed when I rebooted the computer there is a path shown for the scanner which was never there b4. How do I stop the screen from moving on so I can write down the message and tell you what it is.

21. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

Wow this is getting more complex all the time.
    When I look for the scanner files I type in Microtek Scan and the file comes up including an uninstall file.
    Based on your last comments should I just execute the uninstall file and eliminate the reference to the scanner in the registry and then try to reinstall by using the cd again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.