1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved CCleaner giving trouble.

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by BobbyScot, 2012/02/28.

1. 2012/02/28
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

After reading members recommendations on the workings of CCleaner, I downloaded the free edition of CCleaner. However, after running CCleaner, find all automatic saves of auto entry into various programs where a password has been entered and saved, are now erased. All erased entries require to be re-entered. I notice that CCleaner has several boxes shown, some ticked. Is there a box requires to be unticked, this will then correct error now experienced. Your help is most appreciated.

2. 2012/02/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

You need to uncheck the option for "Saved Password" in Internet Explorer. If you use FF, unchek the same option from Applications->FireFox.

MrBill likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/02/28
    BobbyScot

Hello rsinfo, thanks for you comment. I checked entries in IE 9 for Passwords, unable to track down. I would think that enabling Passwords to be saved would be correct. I really thought that CCleaner was responsible for this error and therfore being able to stop this step by unticking the appropriate box shown in CCleaner.

5. 2012/02/28
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

CCleaner is responsible to deleting your cookies that store the password info.

muddyfox likes this.
  6. 2012/02/28
    BobbyScot

Steve R Jones, I tried your suggestion and unticked the box "Cookies" in CCleaner, the result was absolutely on the ball. My sincere thanks to you for solving my experienced error. I stopped using CCleaner many years ago, as I was experiencing one or two errors with my computer. However, CCleaner most probably has ironed out the errors experienced then by me, so will give CCleaner another try.

7. 2012/03/02
    BobbyScot

SteveRJones, can you please again advise, CCleaner apparently is making Microsoft Security Essentials not protecting computer against viruses etc.
    I only found out when running MSE that caption came up that computer was not protected, in this case which box requires to be unticked. Thank you.

8. 2012/03/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

There is NO connection between CCleaner & MSE. CCleaner only clears temp files,logs & internet history/cache.

9. 2012/03/02
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree. I have never had CCleaner interfere with any AV's.

10. 2012/03/03
    BobbyScot

Thank you for your replies.

11. 2012/03/04
    BobbyScot

I return to CCleaner, as each time that I run CCleaner, and then check Microsoft Security Essentials, a caption is shown in MSE that my computer is "Potentially Unprotected ", an immediate scan with MSE returns computer as protected. What is causing this error?, this only happens when I run CCleaner. Does a step within CCleaner cause error to happen or CCleaner trig another step within my computer, either way if a solution is not to hand, I will be forced to remove CCleaner from my computer as a precaution. Any comments, please.

12. 2012/03/04
    MrBill

I just looked at CC and see nothing about an AV Program in there. I have no idea why it is doing this to you. Might be something that you have checked in there. Can you post a screenshot of what you have in both Windows and the Application tab?

I don't use CC that much anyways anymore. I have used it and then do a disc cleanup right afterwards and disc cleanup still shows lots of stuff that CC doesn't get.

13. 2012/03/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Are you running the Cleaner part or the Registry part ?

14. 2012/03/04
    MrBill

I thought about that. I didn't ask though. I have run both on several PC's with no ill affects. Some setting is wrong in there but not sure what.

15. 2012/03/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Registry cleaning sometimes can create more problem than it seems to solve. It could be his problem too.

16. 2012/03/05
    BobbyScot

My thanks for your usefull observations. I mostly run CCleaner in Cleaner Mode and a few times in Registry mode. Cleaner - IE. - All boxes are ticked, except Cookies/Automatic complete form history/saved password. Windows Explorer - All boxes ticked except Recent documents/run (in start menu)/Network in Passwords. System - all boxes ticked except last four boxes. Registry Cleaner - all boxes ticked -
    Intermediate/Multimedia/Utilities. Windows - all boxes ticked, except Game Explorer. Yes I agree that CCleaner can probably cause more trouble than solve, considering in removing CCleaner from my computer. Is there a reliable program that will remove unwanted or obsolete files without causing other problems after use? I have read many views on such programs, that they are better ignored.

17. 2012/03/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

CCleaner is a good cleaner. Just use it to clean the junk & don't use Registry option at all.

18. 2012/03/05
    BobbyScot

rsinfo, your comment taken, thank you.

19. 2012/03/05
    MrBill

In mine, under Windows, System, the last 5 are not checked. Windows Error Reporting, DNS Cache, Font Cache, Start Menu Shortcuts, and Desktop shortcuts. ADVANCED has nothing checked. This should be default and I changed othing.

20. 2012/03/05
    BobbyScot

Mr Bill, your entries as detailed is exactly the same as mine, except that "Cookies" is also unticked as suggested by another member of this Forum. "Cookies" when box was ticked, appeared to affect the Popup from being disallowed. This error was certainly solved by unticking box "Cookies" in CCleaner.

21. 2012/03/05
    MrBill

I have my Cookies unchecked. I think that is Default.